What to do when your lunch doesn't "satisfy"

Options
So I had a "healthy lunch". Turkey slices, 1 slice of cheddar cheese, and a small bowl of soup. I sipped and savored and made it last as long as possible and.....I'm not satisfied. I wouldn't say I'm "hungry" but, I want MORE. Any ideas on what I can do to be more satisfied?

Replies

• JT1090
    JT1090 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth, drink tons more water, and chew flavorful gum/mints. That always helps me avoid going back into the kitchen after a meal.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    So I had a "healthy lunch". Turkey slices, 1 slice of cheddar cheese, and a small bowl of soup. I sipped and savored and made it last as long as possible and.....I'm not satisfied. I wouldn't say I'm "hungry" but, I want MORE. Any ideas on what I can do to be more satisfied?

Save up more calories for lunch? Eat less at breakfast or skip it all together.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Crunch on some carrots and other veggies. Then do what the other poster said, brush teeth and maybe have a herbal tea.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If you're eating less calories than you burn, you're probably gonna be hungry at some point. Suck it up.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Ditto on saving more calories for lunch.

I have 2 filling lunches and then snack in between with nuts, peanut butter...stuff high in protein to make you feel full.

My diary is open if you want some ideas!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    If you're eating less calories than you burn, you're probably gonna be hungry at some point. Suck it up.

That too.

My first week was hard. I felt like I was starving, but I kept trucking on and drinking water/tea to feel full. Eventually my stomach adjusted.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I had to give up on the small meals idea.

If I don't have 400 calories or more in a meal, I am doomed to be unsatisfied.

Plan ahead.

The "six small meals" thing never worked for me. Tried it.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

bad advice...never skip breakfast or else you'll binge at lunch
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Plan ahead.

Same here. I don't bother with snacks, they just piss me off.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    High protein makes me feel fuller. My lunch was only 410 calories, but it had 46g of protein.
  • javajunkee
    Options
    I like adding fruit to my lunches. I have a sweet tooth and it's my "dessert". I finishing off a lunch with grapes, apple or banana. Sometimes even a nonfat yogurt and a big glass of water.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options

i agree....i would not skip breakfast
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options

That's such a bad idea! Don't skip breakfast it's soo bad for you. I have a cup of tea and get busy to distract myself. Then a couple of oat cakes mid afternoon. But I would have had a load of salad with the cheese and turkey.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Eat more fresh veggies and whole grains which are filling and add needed nutrients.
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Plan ahead.

Same here. I don't bother with snacks, they just piss me off.
    Me too!! My breakfast was 396 calories and my lunch is 449.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies would be helpful. Also, I noticed that most of what you put as your lunch can be quite high in sodium which may trigger a hunger response (which is actually thirst). Also, as others have mentioned protein can help you feel full longer (like chicken breast).
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Totally false. It doesn't matter when you eat, it only matters how many total calories you eat. 400 calories for breakfast and 400 calories for lunch versus 0 calories for breakfast and 800 calories for lunch is the same thing.
  • lchovet
    Options
    You should never skip breakfast, it really is the most important meal of the day.
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just suck it up. I Keep drinking water and wait till I have my snack. When I go to work, I take 2 snacks and my dinner, since I work afternoon shift. I take absolutely no money with me, so that way all the food I take is the only thing I eat. Period! It's hard sometimes and I do get hungry but I try to space out my food evenly during my 8 hour shift.

Tracy
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

What a terrible idea!!! No one should be skipping breakfast!

My understanding is we need the bulk of our calories earlier in the day to give us the energy to get through the day. And since our physical activity decreases into the evening so should our calorie consumption.

Also, skipping meals will probably lead to uncontrolled binging.