Walking question

Options
Hi
I was wondering if anyone can help me , I have read recently that when walking ( I use a treadmill ) that it is just as effective to walk faster for 10 minutes 3x a day than to walk moderately for 60 minutes.
Do any of you have any thoughts on this.
I am looking to burn fat more than anything.
Thanks
:smile:

Replies

• kevmandfl
    Options
    Hi
    I was wondering if anyone can help me , I have read recently that when walking ( I use a treadmill ) that it is just as effective to walk faster for 10 minutes 3x a day than to walk moderately for 60 minutes.
    Do any of you have any thoughts on this.
    I am looking to burn fat more than anything.
    Thanks
    :smile:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Not really. The point is to be at "fat burning heart rate" for at least 20 mins at a time. So if your heart rate is at 120 at your slow walk, you're fine. If it's at 80, then it's too low and you're not burning calories. And your heart will adjust and you may have to periodically increase your speed to be in that fat burning heart rate range.

I got this info from my trainer.
  • Robin_
    Robin_ Posts: 105
    Options
    The answer is....it all depends on who you ask! The bottom line is that your heart is a muscle, and any time your heart rate is above your resting heart rate, then your base calorie consumption rate is increased. Like a car, the heart operates most efficiently at a set rate/speed, and if you push the peddle down hard, your fuel consumption goes very high, just as your calorie consumption is greatly increased when your heart is working hard. The only proven formulation is that ANY exercise is better than none, and doing what works for YOU is giving yourself the highest chances of sucess (you'll stick to it longer!). Of course, everyone should consult their doc before starting an exercise regime!
    PS...I've only lost my lbs with reduced calorie intake and simple walking. I started out with around the block, and can now walk anywhere! Best to everyone!