When is the best time to buy new clothes?

Replies

• TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    If you're having a hard time keeping your pants up, it's time.

Agreed. I am at this point. I first went to a couple 2nd hand stores (Savers, Goodwill, etc). I then checked out the clearance racks. I ended up with a pair of pants from Wal-Mart and a shirt on clearance. I did find a couple really nice shirts/sweaters and the 2nd hand stores as well.

I plan on this being a "transition size" as I am about 1/2 way to my goal. I plan to just buy enough to get by with and then when I get closer to my goal to really start looking at replacing the wardrobe.

I do feel it is important to buy a couple decent things as a reward for your progress. Maybe a goal of when I reach 50lbs lost I am buying a shirt and pair of jeans to celebrate.
  • I made the mistake of going out and buying nice new clothes, then kept losing weight and then none of them fit in another 2 months :( I took a friend's advice and went to places like Goodwill to get 1 or 2 pairs of dress pants for work to hold me over until I got to my goal weight. I didn't have much to lose at the point though. It all depends on where you are and where you want to be.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Till you hit your goal weight then wait a few months till you go back up to maintenance and see if you grow any.
  • crysofmyk
    crysofmyk Posts: 52 Member
    Goodwill and clothing exchanges are good ideas (and good for the earth too!) But 30+lbs is pretty significant. I would suggest a combo of new (or new to you) clothes as well as a good tailor. The girl I take my pants to for hemming can also add a stitch here and there to bring in the waist when I loose a bit...you can't even tell. You can also have shirts taken in etc. So if you do buy new clothes, just keep in mind you have have them tailored to fit when you lose even more! Well done by the way!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    If I find a really good clearance, I'll buy a pair or two in the next size down just so I have them (I paid $4.45 for a pair of Mossimo cargo pants at Target!). Make sure to at least check the length, though! I'm 5'8" and bought a pair of 18S, because I wasn't paying close enough attention. S as in SHORT! When I was finally able to wear them I looked like Erkel and had to give them away. I hadn't had any luck yet find pants in the sizes I needed, or that I would actually wear in public, at the thrift store.
  • Host a clothing exchange!

Clothing exchanges are fun and a fantastic way to switch up your wardrobe. Great idea!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    It really depends on your financial situation. You can get clothes cheap at thrift stores or on eBay, like others have said. Or you can buy new from the store now, then when they get too big, sell them on eBay to fund the next round of clothes.

I started MFP really pushing a size 8 (needed a 10 but never bought them) and I bought a few size 6's at thrift stores but waited to really buy my new clothes until I was a size 4...by then the size 8's looked ridiculous on me. Now I'm not trying to lose any more weight but some of my jeans are starting to fall off again and honestly, it's pissed me off! I spent a lot of money on high quality clothes in size 4s because I didn't intend to get smaller after I hit size 4.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    1. I modify mine...great if you know how to work a sewing machine.
    2. Get most clothes at a thrift store/goodwill
    3. Buy a couple reward clothes (on sale only) each time I hit a certain % lost toward my final goal....weight or size. You don't stay in these very long though, so nothing very expensive.
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Go somewhere inexpensive like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Ross. Just get a few pants, shirts to get you through until you lose more weight. I just went to Ross and got 3 pair of jean, 3 shirts, 2 shoes and some random household goods for $100. :-)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    I'll be doing it pretty soon, even though I'm 5lb from goal, because the fat pants give me too much permission! I'll only get a pair or two of pants, and perhaps have some [really nice] sweaters blocked smaller.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    I agree with shopping at thrift stores. You can usually get some really decent stuff. This way, if you need to buy more clothes later, you haven't dropped a ton of money on nice stuff.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    ok.. lost 32 lbs and now my clothes look too big on me... i want to buy clothes but im afraid that i might lose more weight and than the new clothes wont fit me..

when is the best time to buy new clothes?

I would go to goodwill for Blue Jeans Casual stuff, for my dress clothes, (I would go to TJ Max or Mervin's to buy stuff as cheap as possible.) Buy two pair of dress pants, 5 shirts, till i went ot the next size. (I went from a 40 Size to 34, i could fit into 32 but it would tighter then i like)
  • I have gotten my nicer clothes altered as I am losing and turn to places like Target to get cheaper jeans and t-shirts until I am at my goal.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    This is why robes are awesome.

Seriously, I think great progress should be rewarded. Set yourself a target. If you achieve that target, go shopping.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Last week the scale wasn't reflecting the work I was putting in. I was in a mall and wondered over to see some clothing I liked. Thought well, what if I try on "dream sizes"? Let's see how far up the pants will go and how far down the blouses go. Everything I tried on fit!!!! This is the time to buy clothes.... and I did!!!! BTW, this week the scale dropped and reflected the loss as well :)
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    I have bought a pair of jeans in an in-between size, simply because I think it's important to feel good in your clothes. I'm just not as comfortable in my pants that are too big, I feel a lot better wearing clothes that actually fit. I just try not to spend much on clothes as long as I'm not at my goal weight yet.

This. I just bought a new pair of jeans this weekend...was in a size 15 and bought a size 9. I went to work wearing my new jeans yesterday and got SO MANY comments about my weight loss. It was clearly not obvious in my too big clothes. I gotta say...I love my new jeans. Buy enough to get you by until you reach your goal weight, but by all means get some clothes that fit, you will be amazed at how much better you feel.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    1. I modify mine...great if you know how to work a sewing machine.

This is what I do. I just take in all my pants at the waist and thighs so they fit properly for work, I can't be bothered to spend money on clothes that I already don't like wearing lol.

Maybe if you know someone with a sewing machine ask them to take a few pairs of pants in for you? It's quite simple and fast
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    I only buy my clothes at the thrift shop. Even my good suit was a $10 deal plus $20 for alterations at the tailor.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    thanks for the words peeps. I see there are alot of deals this weekend. Will see what i can get. i was a 38 in pants before but now im a 36 and im pushing for a 34. Will see how it goes.

i wont buy alot but will buy to hold me over for the summer. Summer is when i go crazy... plus i will have my bonus by then.

its bittersweet to have this problem.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Also try Freecycle. You don't get to pick but it's free!

When packing I found some smaller clothes I didn't know I had. They don't fit quite yet (tiny bit too small) but they will soon. Make 100% sure you don't have clothes that are smaller.

I'm at my mums house and she's got a bunch of stuff for goodwill so I'm raiding that too. It might gear slightly older but for the in between sizes.