TDEE Calculator - Thoughts?

Options
I came across this and I like it. I like it because I haven't got to use MFP estimates on exercise which I believe to be too high, or my ancient Polar which regularly records my heart rate as zero during runs.

I know my cals are on the low side currently and I don't like to eat back more than 80% of my exercise cals for the reasons above, therefore setting a limit daily without having to think about my exercise cals being correct sounds good to me. I'm doing B210K 2/3 times a week so won't be 'slacking off' anyway, plus another couple of cardio sessions chucked in, the odd kettlebell session and a few walking lunch breaks.

So what I want to know - from those who know - is do these estimates look correct?

http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee

Replies

• MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I did this about 7 weeks ago, set my calories to be the same give or take 50-100 in either direction every day excercise or not. I like it allot, less stress. If you go this route, try to be super patient and try a calorie range for as much as 2 weeks before you decide its not working. Every time I up my calories, even by just 100, I bloat and hold 2-4 extra pounds for a week, then start losing weight again.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nick, I had been upping by 50 cals a fortnight, I can cope with a small gain while I adjust or a stay the same - 11lb to go says it won't be falling off tomorrow anyway ;-)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I don't have to look to know that they will only be an estimate, as all calculators are. The outside of the energy balance equation in reality will be different for everyone. Just try going by the numbers and allow yourself to make adjustments as time goes on......
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Iv added all my info and I should have 1480 net per day. Apparently I should lose 9lb in 10 wks according to this one http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I like this calculator because it feels more accurate to me. I have my TDEE estimated as high as 2000 and that just feels too high to me. I am only 127 lb 5'4" and even though i workout 6x a week it's only 30 minutes per exercise so that is 180 minutes per week or 3 hours. this calculator puts me at about 1650 which seems more like what my maintenance would be.