Need some inspiration....

Where should I start...I'm 34yrs old and have struggled with my weight since my Junior year of high school, then a few years later lost about 30lbs and when I was 23 gained it back. After a couple of years I slowly lost it and reached 128 (my lowest weight since high school). I'm 5'3 curvy and would love to be a size 6/8 again and weigh between 135 to 140 and maintain that weight forever! :) I'm tired of the yo-yo dieting but my problem now is that I just don't have the energy. I have gained 50lbs in the past 2yrs and recently lost my father. It has been extremely difficult to focus on weight loss during the holidays especially, since is the first holiday season without my dad, it doesn't make calorie counting any easier. When I'm sad I want to pick up a chocolate donut and call it a day. I will probably start my journey on January 1, 2012 like millions of others. But then again, I hate the feeling of having a closet full of clothes that do not fit and I hate buying bigger and bigger sizes. I really want to take control because I don't like the way I look or feel and I know sabotaging my body like this only makes my grief worse. If any of you have similar experiences or any advice I would really appreciate hearing your stories.

Thank you,
Nikki

Replies

• ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Hi,

Firslty, sorry to hear you lost your Dad.

My mum died of cancer when I was 26/27 (whe was 57). You know grief is pretty difficult to "control". My boss signed me up for counselling and I nearly didn;t go because I was in denial and didn;t think I needed it, but I went anyway and spent the whole first two sessions unable to speak, just crying. I think it would be difficult to get to grips with your eating issues at the moment unless you are doing stuff to work on your grief at the same time. Parents are very tied up usually with food, emotion and eating. It's gonna take a while to work through losing your Dad and you shouldn;t be too hard on yourself at the moment or set unrealistic goals. Hope that's a bit helpful anyway. Everyone has their own path.
  • NikkiRose77
    NikkiRose77 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you so much ShefMum....yes, I think this will be a slow journey for me.
  • Sorry about your dad. I lost mine 3 yrs ago so I sort of understand the 'general' situation you are in, the first 2 years were most difficult for me. My dad is part of the reason I am so interested in getting healthy now, he died of a hear attack at the age of 51.

I am 34 with 3 kids, a full time job and I live in WI (the ice cold tundra). I also have gained weight since high school but now i am on MFP to be inspired to get healthy again. Good luck to you! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want, we can keep each other motivated.