Good books??

Options

Replies

• ukkiosan
    ukkiosan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid science-fiction reader, but one of my favorite books of all time is Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I also loved The Three Musketeers and Memoirs of a Geisha.

If you don't have a weak stomach and are somewhat interested in microbiology, Richard Preston's books are great - The Hot Zone is my favorite. Other good science-related non-fiction includes Phantoms in the Brain (V.S. Ramachandran), Genome (Matt Ridley), The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, and anything by Atul Gawande (a surgeon).

Now, on to the SF. All-time favorites include:
    -Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
    -Dune by Frank Herbert
    -The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein (I love pretty much all Heinlein - short stories, Starship Troopers, Have Spacesuit Will Travel, Stranger in a Strange Land, I love it all!)
    -Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
    -Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    -Minority Report and other short stories by Philip K. ****
    -The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov
  • SherriH69
    Options
    You should check out www.Goodreads.com

Lots of great reading suggestions there!
  • BRISAjustAltered
    BRISAjustAltered Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Water For Elephants is a great book. I also like Dragon Tears by Dean Koontz. Other than that I'm into Jennifer Crusie books (romance, but not the mushy type) and musical biographies.

oh yes, anything by Jennifer Crusie. I read her books out loud to my Fiance, he enjoys them too. :-) Agree with others, all of Jane Austin, beautiful classics. Of course the Harry Potter series and Twilight serious. Why not? All of Anne Rice books if you like "better" vampire books.

Some shorter good reads are "Girl with a Pearl Earring" "Geisha" "the Reader" "the Prophet" "the Alchemist" "Memories of my Melancholy *kitten*" "Diary of Annie" not to be confused with "Diary of Ann Frank" "Everthing is Eventual" by King, it's a long book but it's short stories.

Ok "Geisha" is not that short, but it's good.
    And if you like twisted, or more like twisted fairy tales, anything by Gregory Maguire. Not just "Wicked," all of his books. He will leave all adults with a tainted picture of any childhood fairy tale. LoL
  • zumbabumba21
    Options
    If you're looking for light reading I reckon these are good: the shopaholic series, the magicians (by Lev Grossman-it's like a really good, creepy harry potter for adults), anything by Neil Gaiman is great, the hunger games.

I also like Lolita-despite being controversial it's really beautiful writing and one of the only modern classics I've managed to get through! Also a clockwork orange-but you have to stick with it. I really got into it after my second attempt.

I volunteer at an Oxfam bookshop and I love books too! :D
  • KlassyKassi
    KlassyKassi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Anything by Irene Nemirovsky or Graham Greene.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
    100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
    If you are up for something serious and very sad, Elie Weisel books are fantastic.
    Happy reading! :)
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Fun light read : Marian Keyes (mostly hillarious)
    James Patterson
    Currently reading Water for Elephants
    Just finished Pride an Prejudice
    another favourite is Bill Bryson - Short History of nearly everthing
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    One book that will blow everything out of the water:

Good Omens - By Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett. Yes, that's right... Neil Gaiman AND Terry Pratchett. How can you resist?
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I love the Hunger Games books! I recommend them to everyone!

I just finished The Girl with the Dragon tattoo books, all 3 were really good but my favorite was the 2nd one. The Help is very good, and a lot of Jodi Picoult books are real page-turners.

Also, some "fun" girly books are anything by Sophie Kinsella, Madeline Wickham(same person), and Jane Green.
    Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) is a good series, I've only read the first 3.
    My favorite book of all time = The Perks of Being a Wallflower!
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Tagging for later.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My favorite book of all time = The Perks of Being a Wallflower!

What an awesome book. Thank you for reminding me that exists.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I read A LOT. Mainly at work during my breaks and down time because I have a very boring job lol. But I've been reading a lot at home lately too since I haven't felt up to doing much else but hang out alone at home. And I'm a pretty fast reader, so it doesn't take me long to get through a book. I just read all 3 Hunger Games books in 5 days... But basically, everytime I go to the book store I'm stumped on what to get. Nobody I know really reads so I don't have anybody giving me any good recommendations and I need some! I've read so many books I could probably own my own library, and I need some suggestions for some good reads! Thanks everybody!

The last series of books I enjoyed thoroughly was The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. Laughed so hard so many times that I almost peed in my pants.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite authors...with a good amount of books available...easy reads...fiction:

JD Robb the In Death series...futuristic murder mysteries
    Mercedes Lackey...sience fiction fantasy for the most part
    Stuart Woods... humorous detective thrillers..Stone Barrington
    Janet Evanovitch...hysterical Jersey girl bounty hunter for the most part
    Laurell K Hamilton.... Anita Blake vampire hunter series or Meredeth Gentry faerie princess series
    P C Cast... house of night series...teen vampires, NOT your usual vamp book

There are tons of others, and you have already gotten some awesome suggestions....some I am looking into also!
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Anything by John Steinbeck
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    The Wizards First Rule series by Terry Goodkind I believe there is 10 or so books in the series and he just started writing some more. It's really addicting once you get into that first book. Loved them all I hated to end the series.

Just started this series. I like it so far.
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward!! THE. BEST. Start with Lover Mine.
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Motley Crue, the dirt :)
  • slbeutler
    Options
    I read A LOT. Mainly at work during my breaks and down time because I have a very boring job lol. But I've been reading a lot at home lately too since I haven't felt up to doing much else but hang out alone at home. And I'm a pretty fast reader, so it doesn't take me long to get through a book. I just read all 3 Hunger Games books in 5 days... But basically, everytime I go to the book store I'm stumped on what to get. Nobody I know really reads so I don't have anybody giving me any good recommendations and I need some! I've read so many books I could probably own my own library, and I need some suggestions for some good reads! Thanks everybody!

The Art of Racing in the Rain-I read this book in 3 days it was so good.

Anything by Janet Evanovich, you will be laughing out loud and some good suspense.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Here are some authors I enjoy:

Sue Grafton, Jennifer Weiner, Tawni O'Dell, Wally Lamb, Joy Fielding, Perri O'Shaughnessy, Maeve Binchy, Marian Keyes, Phillip Margolin
  • mfdooley
    Options
    Diana Gabaldin's Outlander series ..... there are 7 and it was clear that it couldn't be the end ..... according to her website, the next will be done and of 2012. She has started another series based on one of the characters from this one ... it should be good too.
    Mix of historical fiction, science fiction, and romance.

And the Clan of the Cave Bear series is good too .. Jane Auel is the author.