Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Raw Foodism

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    I was about to post in that thread too. What forum rule would it break? I don't get it.
    elle, did you close your other members thread? :huh: I mean it was somewhat tongue in cheek but I don't see why it's locked...

I was wondering too. What is up with that?

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    Here's the quote from mike on the thread concerning the 2nd thread started to mimic the originator of the clean eating:heart: thread.
    " Starting sarcastic protest threads isn't productive.
    Thanks for listening, and hope you're all enjoying the site. "
  • Fitness_Chick
    I was about to post in that thread too. What forum rule would it break? I don't get it.

well it was so close to the original that it mimicked I guess it might have caused trouble?

Oh I see... didn't make the connection at first. Nevermind then.

I am guessing is all....does the original poster get notified?
    oh yea! they'll know! He's good about notifying, might not always give a reason but the reason is usually ovious by the time it's locked.

But that's now water under the bridge:wink: Whew:tongue:

..I saw the question and just now happened to see His response from earlier tonight that's why I shared it.

FC:heart:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    It's not "vegan philosophy," it's science. :wink:

I truly appreciate the approach as far as animal cruelty and such and yes, there is science arguments for both sides....my Mom is a vegan since she was like 2 years old, my Gram (her Mom) was as well and they grew up on a farm and Gramps was a red meat eatin monster of a man...my Mom is 78 and healthier than I am....so I am not knockin it...but Raw is tough :smile:
  • Wow that is a very interesting family history! I've gotta admit, both your mother and grandmother are more hard core than I am! Veganism was pretty much unheard of back then I bet...

And yes, raw would be really tough. I'm interested in researching it a little more thoroughly. It absolutely makes sense, on several points, that it would be healthier for you. I'd like to see research though not just cited on raw websites. I haven't really done a lot of research on it. I do try incorporate raw foods in my diet, and I think I'll try to more and more. One of my veg cookbooks has a raw section, so maybe I'll even try a few of those recipes.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    my understanding is that raw foodism includes only raw, living foods. there are some sub-types that include raw meat (like beef carpaccio and sashimi). i also understand that there are no beans or soy in the diet, although you can eat the bean "sprouts".

i've also read that the "not enough protein" in the diet is a myth, as vegetables have enough protein to keep the body functioning optimally (i'm not a doctor, but this is what i have reasearched...)

It's not the amount of protein that's the issue, but getting sufficient complete proteins from the diet. All vegetables (except for a certain type of algae) contain incomplete proteins, meaning they don't contain all the essential amino acids we need (the ones our bodies can't produce). So while you can get sufficient grams of protein, you have to pair certain foods to create complete proteins, like bread with cheese and rice with beans. Vegans are at the greatest risk for malnutrition because they don't consume any animal products. I'm not saying it's more or less healthy than an omnivorous diet, it just takes more planning and attention to nutrients.
  • I have wanted to try going raw for a LONG time, and we did try for a little while. The biggest problem in my opinion (past that addiction and longing for comfort from warm, cooked foods) is the need for preparation. I mean, to have variety so that you don't get bored with being raw, you need all the tools: juicer, temperature controlled dehydrator, etc. And you have to prepare your meals every day virtually, there isn't a lot of large batches for the rest of the week or leftovers, because it starts to go bad quickly.

But I have heard /amazing/ things from people who have gone raw and stayed raw for many MANY years, and I wish I had the time to do it. But alas, for now I just have to settle with eating as much raw in my daily diet.

And remember, you can 'cook' raw, it just can't go over 118 degrees, which is when the nutrients and enzymes start deteriorating. So there is 'raw' bread, 'raw' dried fruit, 'raw' crackers, 'raw' pie, etc. They're all just cooked /very/ slowly, and usually in a controllable dehydrator.
  • my understanding is that raw foodism includes only raw, living foods. there are some sub-types that include raw meat (like beef carpaccio and sashimi). i also understand that there are no beans or soy in the diet, although you can eat the bean "sprouts".

i've also read that the "not enough protein" in the diet is a myth, as vegetables have enough protein to keep the body functioning optimally (i'm not a doctor, but this is what i have reasearched...)

It's not the amount of protein that's the issue, but getting sufficient complete proteins from the diet. All vegetables (except for a certain type of algae) contain incomplete proteins, meaning they don't contain all the essential amino acids we need (the ones our bodies can't produce). So while you can get sufficient grams of protein, you have to pair certain foods to create complete proteins, like bread with cheese and rice with beans. Vegans are at the greatest risk for malnutrition because they don't consume any animal products. I'm not saying it's more or less healthy than an omnivorous diet, it just takes more planning and attention to nutrients.

Fortunately, spinach and kale (followed closely by other greens) contain 45-49% protein. There is no doubt that someone who eats a diet high in raw leafy green vegetables, a wide assortment of all other kinds of vegetables, beans, seeds, and whole grains, will not be lacking in protein. To say that vegans are at the greatest risk for malnutrition is a pretty broad stroke. Especially since it seems like most people who become vegan are very into nutritional awareness and self-education. And actually, I still wouldn't hesitate to say that a vegan who is *not* especially concerned with counting grams and calories is a stretch "healthier" than a person consuming the Standard American Diet.

-Meredith
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    I am learning about Raw Food diets................Trying to incorporate a LOT of raw foods into my eating plan -

I am learning the Low Carb Way of Life and trying to do as much Raw foods (vegetables, fruits and nuts) mainly.............I figured if I can get 50-60% of my diet a day in as raw foods, then I am living lovely!!!

On one of the Low Carb Websites I belong to, we are discussing it in the Organic Living section of the Bulletin Board.

There are some sites that one of the members recommended and she is Living a Low Carb lifestyle and says that about 50% of her diet is comprised of raw foods............

She also has a recipe for a green smoothie that she drinks everyday and she says She feels better than she ever has in her life.

Send me a note if you are interested in the sites. i will note them to you.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    I am learning about Raw Food diets................Trying to incorporate a LOT of raw foods into my eating plan -

I am learning the Low Carb Way of Life and trying to do as much Raw foods (vegetables, fruits and nuts) mainly.............I figured if I can get 50-60% of my diet a day in as raw foods, then I am living lovely!!!

On one of the Low Carb Websites I belong to, we are discussing it in the Organic Living section of the Bulletin Board.

There are some sites that one of the members recommended and she is Living a Low Carb lifestyle and says that about 50% of her diet is comprised of raw foods............

She also has a recipe for a green smoothie that she drinks everyday and she says She feels better than she ever has in her life.

Send me a note if you are interested in the sites. i will note them to you.

interested in the green smoothie...do you have the details?
    thanks
    Dave
  • What do you mean by Low-Carb life? Like, less processed simple carbs? Or less wheat? Or literally a lower percent of caloric intake coming from carbs?
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    We drink raw milk from a local natural dairy farm, but that's because my daughter has allergies and for some reason can tolerate milk in it's truly raw form. Otherwise I have no idea about raw foodism.:huh:
  • We drink raw milk from a local natural dairy farm, but that's because my daughter has allergies and for some reason can tolerate milk in it's truly raw form. Otherwise I have no idea about raw foodism.:huh:

Wow, that is really interesting. I can't say I'm surprised though. They milk that you get from conventional cows (which I'm sure you've researched) is far from pure and wholesome!
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    I accidentally found this raw foodism site last night (it's not in English, so no use even quting the name) and I have been truly impressed by it. Everything was so well explaint and argumented and there were numerous examples of people curing their diseases and extra weight through it, so I was ready to begin right there......

it's not as simple however, and as elli suggests it has to go through vegetarian, then vegan, then eventually turn to raw foodism... i have been a vegetarian for most of my life, not a strict one but i never really liked meat or fish, nor eggs, so as soon as i let go of the dairy products i am pretty much a ready vegan - it doesn't seem hard to do but eating only raw food will be extremely hard, so for now my aim is become a vegan and eat as raw as possible while at it...

as for the correct nutrition, i have had problems with my iron and B12 intake after i started my weight loss and i forced myself to eat meat and eggs because I could never get enough of it otherwise... it's not so much the lack of animal products but rather i was too careless about it, so i will definitely research everything well before i start anything and i'm pretty decided to do it as soon as possible

will keep you posted and hope we can gather a larger group on here and maintain the topic :flowerforyou:
  • LeanLioness
    Low Carb lifestyle, such as Atkins..............

Dr Atkins focused primarily on lots of green leafy veggies and protein for the first 2 weeks to get rid of sugar cravings.

Low carb lifestyle is a pretty NATURAL way of eating, protein in abundance. Lots of fresh vegetables and low glycemic fruits, nuts, seeds, berries...................grains in the form of oats, sprouted grains, brown rice.........Starches in the form of beans, legumes, sweet potatos.

If you climb the "carb Ladder" as is instructed every week you add in more and more veggies, fruits, nuts, until nothing is off limits EXCEPT for white sugar, white flour and processed foods..........stuff our body does not need anyway.............

Eating this way is what has gotten me into exploring a raw food diet.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    my understanding is that raw foodism includes only raw, living foods. there are some sub-types that include raw meat (like beef carpaccio and sashimi). i also understand that there are no beans or soy in the diet, although you can eat the bean "sprouts".

Fortunately, spinach and kale (followed closely by other greens) contain 45-49% protein. There is no doubt that someone who eats a diet high in raw leafy green vegetables, a wide assortment of all other kinds of vegetables, beans, seeds, and whole grains, will not be lacking in protein. To say that vegans are at the greatest risk for malnutrition is a pretty broad stroke. Especially since it seems like most people who become vegan are very into nutritional awareness and self-education. And actually, I still wouldn't hesitate to say that a vegan who is *not* especially concerned with counting grams and calories is a stretch "healthier" than a person consuming the Standard American Diet.

-Meredith

Once again, it's not the NUMBER of protein grams, but the AMINO ACIDS. You can take in sufficient protein grams and still lack the essential amino acids that can't be synthesized by the body. Any time you remove an entire food group, whether it's grains, meats, vegetables, fats, or dairy, you increase your risk of malnutrition by removing sources of some nutrients that are hard to find outside of their given food group source. Most people eating the SAD don't eat vegetables and fruits. Hence, they are at a great risk for malnutrition. This isn't about vegan-bashing, it's just statistics and common sense. I never stated that veganism is better or worse than any other way of eating. It just takes more work.
  • LeanLioness
    About the locked thread...
    Maybe it was seen as a little divisive considering the previous thread.

About Raw foodism....
    was reading it included meats also. Am I wrong?

No true raw only includes nuts no cooked foods which means not even cooked beans.

You can have soaked beans, not fully cooked. Raw foodism is about not eating anything that has been raised to a temperature higher than 160 degrees internally................
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Ok....as much as it may seem like I'm being a smartass, this question is completely serious:

Why does raw foodism seem to only be for vegans and vegetarians?

I mean, I eat raw fish in the form of sashimi. I've had several raw beef dishes. Of course no poultry, but are there any raw foodists who incorporate raw meat?
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Yes there are rawists who eat meat and dairy raw but it seems like being a raw vegan is more popular, or at least gets talked about more.
  • Fitness_Chick

-Meredith

Once again, it's not the NUMBER of protein grams, but the AMINO ACIDS. You can take in sufficient protein grams and still lack the essential amino acids that can't be synthesized by the body. Any time you remove an entire food group, whether it's grains, meats, vegetables, fats, or dairy, you increase your risk of malnutrition by removing sources of some nutrients that are hard to find outside of their given food group source. Most people eating the SAD don't eat vegetables and fruits. Hence, they are at a great risk for malnutrition. This isn't about vegan-bashing, it's just statistics and common sense. I never stated that veganism is better or worse than any other way of eating. It just takes more work.
    Great info as ALWAYS SBS:wink::flowerforyou: Glad you posted it!
    FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.