Runners - HELP!

Options
Yesterday I ran 10 miles (yes, I'm still gloating over that). However, the clothes I was wearing were great for about the first 6 miles... then tragedy struck. My underarmour capri pants felt like they weighed 10lbs and they were rubbing in *all* the wrong places. I have a nice rash on the back of my leg. My shirt and sports bra were great - no issues there.

What do you wear when you run long distances? I'm hesitant about wearing spandex because I don't think the world is quite ready for that sight.

Replies

• running4myhealth
    Options
    Yesterday I ran 10 miles (yes, I'm still gloating over that). However, the clothes I was wearing were great for about the first 6 miles... then tragedy struck. My underarmour capri pants felt like they weighed 10lbs and they were rubbing in *all* the wrong places. I have a nice rash on the back of my leg. My shirt and sports bra were great - no issues there.

What do you wear when you run long distances? I'm hesitant about wearing spandex because I don't think the world is quite ready for that sight.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I wear tights for pretty much everything. I have some great Nike ones that have no seam in the panty area so they don't chafe at all. I took a cycling class in regular sweats once and it was very uncomfortable. :embarassed: You look very slim. Even if you didn't, I'd say wear what's comfortable. No one else cares what you're wearing. :smile:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    After training for a marathon - I know exactly what you mean about rubbing in all the wrong places. They do sell a stick product that you can place on areas that tend to chafe. Although vaseline works just as well. By the time I got to 26.2 miles I was vaselining every little (or big) nook and cranny:blushing: I'm also not a fan of spandex although a lot of people swear that cuts down on chafing. For me it just moved the area of chaffing to someplace else. TMI for a board is all I will say.

Vaseline is cheap which is the best part. I even coat my feet liberally before long runs and have avoided blisters as well.
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Body Glide works great for chafing, it comes in a stick that looks like deodorant. I wear running tights under running pants for cold days, or just running pants if it's kind of warm (above 35 degrees). I always have a problem with socks, but I found that smartwool and feeture socks are fantastic and keep me from blistering up.

Good job on the ten miles. I remember my first ten miles, I was so stoked. LOL
  • RhondieJFB
    Options
    Oh my gosh.. I used to run in my early 20's.. I was so excited that could jog 3 miles with no inhaler.. I couln't even imagine running 10 miles.. GOOD FOR YOU!!! I am proud of you!! Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but this helped me because my husband works real hard, long hours and in the summer it's 130 degrees on the top floor. He comes home chaffed all the time. All we knew was to treat the sore after he got it. Now I can help him with the vaseline. He uses powder now, but running 10 miles... not sure that's gonna do it!!

Again!!!!!!!!!! Way to go on the 10 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I also use glide. I never wear tights or pants that have a seam in the inside. When I run in shorts I always wear the kind that have a built in underwear. I am also a big fan of running skirts, this way I can wear the tight short but I don't want everyone to see my rear in the tight shorts. skirtsports.com is were I get my favorite ones. I usually wait for a sale, kind of spendy.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yep, Body Glide (in a stick, looks like deodorant) is a MUST!! I forgot y'day and ran 8 miles... let's say I had some chafing issues that I didn't notice until I got in the shower. OUCH!

I love my running tights, mine are Nike and I've had them for a couple yrs now. I paid about $45 for them but it was WELL worth the cost. I wear all dry- wicking materials when running. (even Target carries a Champion brand that is good but not as expensive as Under armor or Nike).

Great job on your 10 mile run, what are you training for? I have a half marathon in May!!

Jess
  • running4myhealth
    Options
    Yep, Body Glide (in a stick, looks like deodorant) is a MUST!! I forgot y'day and ran 8 miles... let's say I had some chafing issues that I didn't notice until I got in the shower. OUCH!

I love my running tights, mine are Nike and I've had them for a couple yrs now. I paid about $45 for them but it was WELL worth the cost. I wear all dry- wicking materials when running. (even Target carries a Champion brand that is good but not as expensive as Under armor or Nike).

Great job on your 10 mile run, what are you training for? I have a half marathon in May!!

Jess

I don't know if I'm really "training." I want to do a half marathon sometime in the summer and maybe a full marathon before 2009 is up. I'm living overseas right now and there aren't races around here that go past the 10km mark. So I'm just running and building up my miles until my husband and I go to the states in July.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm really "training." I want to do a half marathon sometime in the summer and maybe a full marathon before 2009 is up. I'm living overseas right now and there aren't races around here that go past the 10km mark. So I'm just running and building up my miles until my husband and I go to the states in July.

That's great! Keeping up your mileage will really help when you decide what half you want to do. I know there are quite a few around here in August/ September. I might do a fall half as well, but right now focusing on the half in May and a sprint tri in June! :bigsmile: