Kid burned 3500 calories per day!

Options
2»

Replies

• BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    These silly TV shows are an encyclopedia of what NOT to do.
    BEWARE!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I was JUST on my way home thinking about this. I've not watched those shows, but have a coworker that is obsessed with biggest loser and I told her I couldn't understand how they sanctioned losing that weight in such a short period of time. I'm not saying whether I believe those shows are good or bad...just that I would think in the long run it would be very difficult on the body to do that in such a short timeframe and how would you maintain it.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate shows like biggest loser, I used to be fat, etc. NOBODY CAN MAINTAIN THAT! (and you shouldn't, really!). That's a lot of stress on your body and it isn't something you can keep up when you go back to the "real world". It also reinforces my most hated attitude about dieting: that you should just suffer for a few weeks/months, lose weight, and go back to your old bad habits. You have to make changes that you can continue throughout your whole life!

On the biggest loser they do end up going home and back to their regular jobs and come back for a final weigh in.. That's where they learn what they can and can't do too much of.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Very good point!!!! Didn't think of that factor!!!!!
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I saw it too. The kid was looking pretty solid when they visited him a couple months later.

Yes he did look pretty good 2 months later. He looked like he had built a lot of muscle and I was alwo glad he got to spend some time with his father while working out.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It should be possible to get really high burns, especially at a weight that high to start with.

I really don't think it's healthy though, I find it hard to believe that sort of weight loss in that time frame will be sustainable for the majority of people.

Excellent point. You have to remember, that people with higher body fat percentage burn calories at a higher rate.

Fitness level plays a role in that.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely healthy to burn 3500 calories in a day when you're 300 lbs. I just looked back at what I was burning when I was in the 290s & I routinely exceeded 3500 calories per day. My average was almost 3300 & this was not with excessive exercise. I did cardio 3 times a week for 30-40 minutes each time, & strength training for about that same length of time 6 days a week, so I wasn't spending more than 90 minutes in the gym on any particular day. I also ate an average of 2150 calories per day.

I would say it's not healthy to burn that much then eat 1200 calories a day. Excessive calorie deficits especially over a long period of time could be unhealthy.

I feel like I'm the only person who's not shocked by that number, but maybe that's just because I have been over 300 lbs & it was normal for me to burn that amount. But I'm not that weight anymore & I still hit that sometimes with a reasonable level of exercise. Do all of you weigh 120 lbs or something? Not sure what I'm missing.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm the only person who's not shocked by that number, but maybe that's just because I have been over 300 lbs & it was normal for me to burn that amount. But I'm not that weight anymore & I still hit that sometimes with a reasonable level of exercise. Do all of you weigh 120 lbs or something? Not sure what I'm missing.
    I think a lot of people are thinking only of exercise calories burned, and forgetting that a 300 pound male is going to burn over 2200 calories just lying in bed for 24 hours?

(Unless the show really was saying that he burned 3500 *on top of* his normal calorie expenditures - I don't know, I never watched it).
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are thinking only of exercise calories burned, and forgetting that a 300 pound male is going to burn over 2200 calories just lying in bed for 24 hours?

(Unless the show really was saying that he burned 3500 *on top of* his normal calorie expenditures - I don't know, I never watched it).

That's a really good question, I have no idea if that's BMR+exercise or just exercise....
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    It should be possible to get really high burns, especially at a weight that high to start with.

I really don't think it's healthy though, I find it hard to believe that sort of weight loss in that time frame will be sustainable for the majority of people.

Excellent point. You have to remember, that people with higher body fat percentage burn calories at a higher rate.

Fitness level plays a role in that.

Well...that's a good theory but actually more fat = less calories burned. Muscle is more metabolically active than fat and lower bf would be good even from a calorie perspective.
  • zzbrandon
    zzbrandon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can burn this in 3 to 4 hours however if you are simply cutting down on your maintenance(MBR) then you may only need to burn like 1,000 or 2,000 calories in a day and you will be burning over 3,500 cals/day because of your metabolism so it's possible to do it without dedicating the entire day to it. One to two hours a day with proper diet can lead to massive weight loss quickly.