Need suggestions/help from experienced losers please

Options
Okay so some background on the issue first. I have been here for almost 2 months since the end of December but really got serious Jan. 5th. I know some of you are going to say so what are you whining about you have lost 19 pounds. Well please don't because I don't need to hear it right now becasue I am already discouraged enough.:flowerforyou: So discouraged I ate pepperoni pizza from Little Caesar's today and yes I know it is horrible and won't fix the problem and just added to it I am smart enough to know that. :frown:

When I started I set my activity at light and I lost 10 pounds the first week probably a lot of fluid, at the 2400 calories I was given. I was doing very light exercise like 10-15 min on bike 3-5 times a week since I was just starting out again, and I ate most of my exercise calories daily since I had read all of Banks threads and the others too and decided that was the way to go. The next week I lost 1.5(same caloires same exercise), then the next week I gained 1/4 no big deal right and I had gone over calories 2 days that week so I expected it. So then I dropped my cals to sedentary level which took me to 2030, and I didn't exercise because I was sick with a bad chest cold and couldn't breath when I tried to exercise, and I lost 6.75 pounds stayed within calories all week. Then the next week I stuck to calories ate hardly any refined stuff no added sugar, etc. Lots of fresh veggies and some fruits too, I had also resumed exercise of 30 min with resistance bands and recumbent bike 4 days that week, and I gained 4.5 but by the end of the week was back down 2.5 for a total gain of 2 pounds from the week before. So I upped my exercise and saw a personal trainer at the gym thinking that was my problem, and did 3 days of cardio of 30 minutes on recumbent with added hand weights with arms while on the bike, and 3 days weight training whole body with weights and resistance machines for about 1 hour or so each time. I did not seen any difference in weight still at 372 from last week. Now I know I have not built muscle in that short time so it is not that I exchanged fat for muscle. I also noticed that the next day after each weight training workout I felt like crap and had to force myself to do my cardio and stay awake each day. I am not that sore just really fatigued, exhausted even and yes I ate the exercise calories I calculated with the HRM of 250 in a half hour workout which is about 400 less than the calories burned sites tell me. So my question is should I put my calories back to light activity which would take me back to a little over 2200? I have asked myself if I am doing this to get more calories but I really think I am not because I have not been hungry at all this week and had to force myself to eat my snacks some days to even get near my calores. I am wondering if I am not eating enough calories to keep my metabolism up. I am usually starving by my snack and meal times but not the past 2 weeks. My body goes into starvation mode quite easily, as I have been at this for 30 years I should know(yes since I was four I have been obese just like the rest of my family all of my life). So any suggestions comments are welcomed just please keep them constructive. I really do want the help and I know some of you have a lot of expertise and experience with these issues. For the first time in my life I really thought I could do this. I am not giving up but I know me and know I will if I continue to work this hard and see no results. Thanks in advance for your help!:flowerforyou: :heart:

Amy:bigsmile:
118984.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

My favorite post for answers:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Replies

• AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Okay so some background on the issue first. I have been here for almost 2 months since the end of December but really got serious Jan. 5th. I know some of you are going to say so what are you whining about you have lost 19 pounds. Well please don't because I don't need to hear it right now becasue I am already discouraged enough.:flowerforyou: So discouraged I ate pepperoni pizza from Little Caesar's today and yes I know it is horrible and won't fix the problem and just added to it I am smart enough to know that. :frown:

When I started I set my activity at light and I lost 10 pounds the first week probably a lot of fluid, at the 2400 calories I was given. I was doing very light exercise like 10-15 min on bike 3-5 times a week since I was just starting out again, and I ate most of my exercise calories daily since I had read all of Banks threads and the others too and decided that was the way to go. The next week I lost 1.5(same caloires same exercise), then the next week I gained 1/4 no big deal right and I had gone over calories 2 days that week so I expected it. So then I dropped my cals to sedentary level which took me to 2030, and I didn't exercise because I was sick with a bad chest cold and couldn't breath when I tried to exercise, and I lost 6.75 pounds stayed within calories all week. Then the next week I stuck to calories ate hardly any refined stuff no added sugar, etc. Lots of fresh veggies and some fruits too, I had also resumed exercise of 30 min with resistance bands and recumbent bike 4 days that week, and I gained 4.5 but by the end of the week was back down 2.5 for a total gain of 2 pounds from the week before. So I upped my exercise and saw a personal trainer at the gym thinking that was my problem, and did 3 days of cardio of 30 minutes on recumbent with added hand weights with arms while on the bike, and 3 days weight training whole body with weights and resistance machines for about 1 hour or so each time. I did not seen any difference in weight still at 372 from last week. Now I know I have not built muscle in that short time so it is not that I exchanged fat for muscle. I also noticed that the next day after each weight training workout I felt like crap and had to force myself to do my cardio and stay awake each day. I am not that sore just really fatigued, exhausted even and yes I ate the exercise calories I calculated with the HRM of 250 in a half hour workout which is about 400 less than the calories burned sites tell me. So my question is should I put my calories back to light activity which would take me back to a little over 2200? I have asked myself if I am doing this to get more calories but I really think I am not because I have not been hungry at all this week and had to force myself to eat my snacks some days to even get near my calores. I am wondering if I am not eating enough calories to keep my metabolism up. I am usually starving by my snack and meal times but not the past 2 weeks. My body goes into starvation mode quite easily, as I have been at this for 30 years I should know(yes since I was four I have been obese just like the rest of my family all of my life). So any suggestions comments are welcomed just please keep them constructive. I really do want the help and I know some of you have a lot of expertise and experience with these issues. For the first time in my life I really thought I could do this. I am not giving up but I know me and know I will if I continue to work this hard and see no results. Thanks in advance for your help!:flowerforyou: :heart:

118984.png

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean for the most part...for me ...the loss in weight really started with my fuel....I need to call food fuel because that is how I need to think of it....I used food for killing time, for filling my sad times and blue times and all it did was make me gain or not lose....now with fuel, my energy is up so I can work harder...I dont know what you are eating and dont want to lecture, but the clean eating idea is really working for me...also....it might be worth the money to have a real nutritionist take a look at your foods...maybe it is something like low iron even or something simple to fix....in the mean time...you know this I am sure...this lifestyle change takes time...I really wish I had a great answer...dont give up
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Don't give up sweetie! Tomorrow is a new day. You have already made such good progress, don't feel discouraged.

The good news is that you have learned better ways, and you now know that overeating is not what you want to do. The "old" you probably would not have thought twice about overeating.

Don't give up-
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy,

I'm not sure how to answer your calorie question. Perhaps your doctor might be able to help. Not get to personal but have you spoken with him or her about your weightloss goals? There may be a medical reason for the problems you are having. I have a friend who has really low iron levels. She always felt really really tired. She is now taking iron pills every day. Also, I purchased a heart rate monitor and have found that I am burning more calories than the gym equipment was saying. So I have increased my calories a bit, especially on days I exercise.

The one suggestion I have is to maybe weigh yourself once a month instead of weekly. I find that my weight can fluctuate a lot week over week and sometimes it doesn't even seem to be associated with how many calories I ate or how hard I exercised. I think a lot of it may have to do with hormones and perhaps weighing myself at inconsitent times of the day. Also, I know it is hard, but I try not to obsess to much over the numbers and I focus more on how I am feeling.

Otherwise, all I can say is keep your chin up. You are working hard and you are on the right path. You can do this!
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Thanks Dave:smile: I try to eat as clean as possible. Very few processed or refined products I even cook my own beans from dry. I eat a lot of veggies and have switched all white foods to whole grain. The nutritionist/health teacher at school said she wished she ate as healthy. So I don't think it is my food choices. I even lowered my carbs this past week thinking maybe I was not getting enough protein and too much carb since I had gastric bypass I can't absorb as muchprotein but carbs go straight in so I need the extra protein. My iron has been a little low since September but not dangerous just too low to donate blood.

118984.png

• AmyNVegas
    Options
    Hi Amy,

I'm not sure how to answer your calorie question. Perhaps your doctor might be able to help. Not get to personal but have you spoken with him or her about your weightloss goals? There may be a medical reason for the problems you are having. I have a friend who has really low iron levels. She always felt really really tired. She is now taking iron pills every day. Also, I purchased a heart rate monitor and have found that I am burning more calories than the gym equipment was saying. So I have increased my calories a bit, especially on days I exercise.

The one suggestion I have is to maybe weigh yourself once a month instead of weekly. I find that my weight can fluctuate a lot week over week and sometimes it doesn't even seem to be associated with how many calories I ate or how hard I exercised. I think a lot of it may have to do with hormones and perhaps weighing myself at inconsitent times of the day. Also, I know it is hard, but I try not to obsess to much over the numbers and I focus more on how I am feeling.

Otherwise, all I can say is keep your chin up. You are working hard and you are on the right path. You can do this!

I will have my iron checked and have a CBC in a few weeks when I have my yearly physical. I will talk to my dr then. The problem is I don't really have a regular doctor mine left town and her ex husband took her patients- my sis likes him though says he really listens so maybe he can help if I am still stuck. I have been above 350 since the 8th grade at least. That was the last time I weighed on a regular dr scale of 350. I have thought of going to the local U.- UNLV and having my metabolic rate tested in their chamber. I wonder if they charge less since it is a college program. My ins. will not pay for anything related to weightloss except visits to a nutritionist. They would rather pay for heart surgeries and strokes later ya know.:huh: I didn't know iron levels could effect weightloss. I will have to research that thanks for the suggestion you and Dave.:flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    First of all my weight can fluctuate on a week to week basis so I found that weighing once a month gives me a better idea of what I actually weigh. I weigh more when I use weights-muscles are engorged.

There is an article I read which I will try to find again that says some should lose 10 of body weight then go to maintenance calories for a few weeks.

Going back to light activity may be the answer. When I taught I was constantly walking around the room never sat down. If this is your case you might need to go back to light activity.

Most of all don't give up. Little Casesar's Pizza has very little calories. Plus I had a meat lovers today so I am with you in spirit.:smile:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Dave's right- don't give up! While I'm not an expert here, I speak from personal experience. Make sure your Dr. has screened you for hypothyroidism- under-active thyroid. This is very common in women in their 30's and many Dr.'s don't routinely screen this. While it's not an excuse or a crutch, hypothyroidism can really impact your ability to lose weight and feel good. Mine went undiagnosed for years, then untreated until I couldn't get pregnant. My values weren't super-low. Once I got regulated, I felt like new person and was able to start to lose weight. It didn't make me skinny but put me in a place from which I can now start to achieve my goals. Stay with MFP for the support you seek!:smile:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    i may have missed it but are you driniking enough water. It helps speed up metabolism and flush the cells/toxins clean. Also focus on protien. It fills you up for few calories and your body will use more energy to burn it off cause the structure behind it is more complex than any other food stuff, fiber(in your whole grains) is close behind. You are wise by eating cleanly...its more natural and your body is more responsive to that...
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Thanks aprilvet. I am checked yearly for thyroid so I don't think that is it at least I hope not. My older sister had to go on meds for it in her 30's not sure what age exactly. I will def get it tested next month with my blood workup.

118984.png

• AmyNVegas
    Options
    Joani I drink 18+ cups of water and then about 6-10 cups green tea in addition trust me I'm floating! :laugh: And Dave I need that NO EXCUSES sign in my bathroom I spend a lot of time there and exercise to get there. LOL The restroom at school is down the hall and around and down another and I run for it at the end of each 85 min class block LOL!:blushing:

118984.png

• czarina127
    czarina127 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Amy,
    I have been obese and dieting (at least pretending) my whole life too. I weigh 295 now down from 360, just eating clean did that for me. Clean being whole grains, no high fructose corn syrup, no hydrogenated oils. And I started exercising, and not eating too late at night. I am stalled now but I am not giving up! You don't have to either. I am glad your going to your doc maybe he can give you insight. I agree with the others, you feeling bad after work out days you should get your iron checked. I read I pick up anyone on nutrition I can. Temper any advice or article with a thought of the author. Keep up the great work you can do it. One day at a time.
    -Amanda
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Thanks Amanda. That is my niece's name!:flowerforyou:

118984.png

• nwfamilygal
    Options
    Don't give up were here for you :flowerforyou: Sometimes I think what's the use then I remember all my friends on MFP. Were all here for a reason and that is to get healthy. So keep your chin up :smile: I'll try and do the same. Deal ?
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    In regards to excercise calories. I have found when I eat all of my excercise calories I do not loose weight. When I reduce it to about 75% then I start to loose weight.

Remember Amy we are all differant. Change things up to see what works for you. Persistence is a virtue on our journey. You have a lot of people cheering for you. Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    Options
    Amy, when I saw this was you I had to reply, because I have noticed how caring and encouraging you are with everybody else!

First. You inspire me. You have a long way to go and you aren't giving up! I don't have any idea about the tiredness thing you are experiencing, but it sounds like you will be discussing it with your dr so anyway...

Please do not think you are necessarily doing something "wrong". Several times I have read here on this site the phrase "calories in= calories out". While I appreciate how this is true in a very general sense, I think it is misleading and can make a person feel like a failure when the numbers just don't add up. I was laughing to myself as I was reading about your weeks and the progress you made, relative to what you were doing calorie wise. The same thing has happened to me! Bottom line: Eating modest amounts of clean foods (which it sounds like you are doing) is the healthiest thing. Eating right, coupled with healthy exercise, will result in weight loss (if a person has excess weight to lose). How long that takes and how regularly those pounds come off seems to be a really individual thing.

My own weight loss since Jan 5 has been close to yours (I've lost 15) and has been seemingly without a lot of rhyme or reason. The weight didn't come off when I expected it to, and then boom--I would lose 5 lbs in 9 days. Weird, huh?

What I am about to suggest may not work for you--or you may not even be interested in heading down this path--but I have felt like it has helped me a lot and so here goes:

Every Sunday is my cheat day. I can eat what I want one day a week and that is the day that works for me. The one rule: I CANNOT COME CLOSE TO OVER EATING. All week long in my "eating like a grown-up" life, I work hard to keep my portions small. So I definitely don't want to mess that up on Sunday--and anyway, when I get full now I feel gross. But if I want a cookie, I eat a cookie. If I want 5 cookies, I spread them out throughout the day. At first I kept a strict eye on how many calories I was eating on my cheat day and I was shocked to find that I only went over about 400-500 calories over my normal daily total. I admit I don't go crazy, but the thing is, I no longer WANT to go crazy. I want to eat a donut with my kids and then I'm good. And later I'll have a little bit of dessert. By the end of the day, I am really ready to face another week of eating like a Puritan! And if you have ever read Bill Phillip's Body For Life book, you will know I stole this little cheat day idea from him. He has a pretty good reason for having a cheat day once a week. I can't articulate it as well as he does, but I really think he is on to something. I never gain when I weigh myself on Mondays (yes, I am swimming against the current here on MFP and I am a several times a day weigher!) and I know that for me it is so doable to say "I'll eat that on Sunday" rather than "I can't eat that, it doesn't fit into my daily allotment of calories".

I have heard other people who have a "cheat meal" once a week instead of a whole day, so that maybe is something to consider.

Anyway, this has gotten a bit rambly, and I appologize, but I really just wanted to say Good job, keep it up, don't get discouraged, I admire you!
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Thanks joonieB!:flowerforyou: Lots of wisdom on this site I knew I would get some good suggestions and thanks to those who PM'd me too I thank you all for caring so much you are great. :drinker: :heart: So I went back to the bike tonight and just finished working off the pizza and I got some happy endorphins from it too so I am not as upset about this whole thing. :smile: The bottom line is I can't give up and I have to continue to believe I can do this. I mean obviously I am not the only fat person facing these issues and I see so many successes on here like FC and Tam that I know it can be done. :drinker: I just need to get my thinking right again. I decided that ce_fit you were right I need to try different things to see what works for me. I have a long journey and I have to accept that what works may also change along the way. So I went back up to the higher calories (an increase of about 200 cal.) and I will try that this week. Joonie I think the cheat day is not a bad idea but I think I may need a high cal day every now and then to trick my metabolism or kick it into gear. All I know is that in the past when I got stuck or gained I lowered my cals and that was so wrong because I started gaining more. I think I have to accept this journey will be tough since my body is such a great storage mechanism(thanks Mom and Dad for such great survival genes, if the U.S. has a famine I'll be set! :laugh: ). I also need to accept the fact that even though I have not seen a weightloss the past 2 weeks I have noticed other great things like being able to do a complete 30 min on my bike and now with added hand weight exercises to increase the intensity, and with very little pain in my knees and hips. My body is moving better and my circulation has improved in my legs and feet because I have very little fluid retention now. So I have to just keep looking at the positives and try try again until I get there. Thanks for the support when I really needed it all of you and hope I can return the favor!:flowerforyou: :heart:

118984.png

• MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    In regards to excercise calories. I have found when I eat all of my excercise calories I do not loose weight. When I reduce it to about 75% then I start to loose weight.

Remember Amy we are all differant. Change things up to see what works for you. Persistence is a virtue on our journey. You have a lot of people cheering for you. Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:

I think that sometimes the MFP calorie counter is a little off... So I try not to eat all my exercise calories, and am investing in a Heart Rate Monitor... Maybe once I now exactly how much I'm actually burning, things will change up a little bit, but I think that it's a good idea to cut back just a teeny bit to give a little cushion just in case. When I entered that I played coed volleyball for 2 hours, the website said that I burned over 1700 calories... Just an example of how high the numbers can go...

And Amy, please don't get too discouraged about eating your pizza-we live and learn, and no one can be perfect 100% of the time. You're doing great, and just look at how far you've come fitness-wise!!!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Thought I replied on this, sorry if this is a repeat - also have your magnesium checked. That will interfere with things if it's low - I just found out I have that problem (and it explains a lot about my weirdness, LOL).

If you started on starvation mode, if you ate big meals but only 1x or 2x a day, and overate at those meals.. your body is in starvation mode and it will take some time to reset your metabolism.

Remember it's a lifestyle change - and ultimately, if you eat healthy and exercise you WILL lose weight in the long run. This is not a sprint if you want to keep the weight off. So don't be discouraged, and it's ok to have pizza!! as long as you keep it in moderation.

Maybe step away from the scale and focus on eating right, eating within normal calorie limits so there's a deficit (but not too big of a one especially if your body was in starvation mode) and exercising to increase your heart health and stamina. Don't overdo it. Start slow. For me starting slow was walking on the treadmill at 2.0 (that's REALLY slow) for 30 mins 3x/wk. My heart rate was up there, though! Now it's tough to get my heart rate up there to calorie burning rate at 3.2!! And I've only been doing this a month!

It's possible you just freaked your body out with the huge change in eating, it may take some time for it to settle down and know what to do with what you're eating.

Keep the faith, sister!
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Thanks adopt4!:flowerforyou: I know I have a mineral problem and I take a multimineral as well as whole food vitamins but not sure how much I absorb. I have a prob keeping my potassium up that runs in the family, I will have to look at the Mg when I have blood work in March. Thanks!:drinker:

118984.png