I need help setting goals

Options
With so many different diet plans out there it's no wonder i'm confused! Are there any particular foods you would suggest I cut out? Here's more about me already:

200lbs (14st 4) - 5ft5 - obese

Lifestyle: sedentary (due to a desk job 8am - 6pm)

Gym: 3 x a week for body combat - average burn 737 cals per 55 mins

Food likes: Chicken breast, ham, fish, all veggies, wholegrain bread, white rice, white pasta, curries, soup, eggs

Food hates: Quorn, tofu, wholegrain pasta or rice, most fruit (only like apples bananas, oranges and grapes), shellfish

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    There is never a reason to cut things you love out of your diet. Depriving yourself is the one way to fail... you need to satisfy yourself in moderation. Just make sure to keep it around your caloric goals :D Best of luck on your journey!
  • monicagellarbing
    Options
    Maybe try and make it to the gym 4x/week instead of three?
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time. This is a great tool for tracking calories in and out. I don't believe in diet plans; I eat within my MFP limits and like variation in my diet. You are at the right place for a new start. Keep it going!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I didn't do that when I had to lose weight, I just adopted a healthy lifestyle. But you do what works for you.
  • Jaimepm
    Options
    I say start with smaller goals. I have little challenges with co-workers such as no sugar for 5 days in a row or workout for at least 20 minutes 5 days in a row. It is very overwhelming to look at the big picture and want instant results. But setting little goals helps get you off to a good start. Hope this helps.....
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Maybe try staying in your calorie count & logging every day

or - increasing your water -- like if you are drinking no water right now you could try to drink 4 cups of water then work on getting it to 8+ cups in a day.

or - setting an exercise goal of working out 4 days or adding a walk or dvd to the mix you have already started.

I read some place to start with a goal you can succeed in & that success will breed more success in your life & give you a more positve look out. It has been working for me & each time I try to set my goal as achievable so that I can be more confident in setting goals. Start where you are!
  • IWillWinSkinny
    IWillWinSkinny Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sorry I didn't really word that post particularly well. I think what I was hoping for were for little tips / little changes I could make. For example, cooking with more filling foods (otherwise i'll be out buying a lasagne ready meal for 600 cals and still be hungry). What are filling foods? What could I snack on between meals seems as i'm not the biggest lover of fruit.

I'm not looking for an overwhelming diet plan, my goals are going to be mini goals for now. I just wanted any little tips that have worked for others which I could consider :blushing:
  • ginny22890
    ginny22890 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Snack on the vegetables you do like. I keep individual bags of baby carrots and celery sticks in the front of the fridge, so when I do get hungry and need a snack I grab that bag! It has helped me a lot! I also bought some of the premixed trailmix and divided that up into small bags and wrote the calorie count on each bag, I keep that bag in my purse so when i'm on the go I can munch on that and I know how many calories I'm eating! You need to make you're snacks healthy things you enjoy so that you'll want to eat them!
  • kungfu84
    Options
    Having healthy snacks throughout the day is always a good idea so that you don't end up eating too many calories at meal time. Some good snacks are vegetables, unsalted, organic almonds, cashews, pistachios, trail mixes are better if you mix them yourself so that the sodium and sugar aren't too high. Also don't be afraid of good fats, such as avocados, they help your body to slow the absorption of carbs and help you feel fuller longer. And then of course make sure you're getting enough protein to help build muscle tissue, the more lean body mass you have the more calories your body burns at rest. I would also suggest that you cut the white rice and pasta, if you can or limit how many days a week you are consuming it. Have you tried quinoa? There are a lot of different things you can do with it, it's a whole grain, and it has protein in it. I hope some of this helps and keep at it, it sounds like you're on the road to changing your life and that's awesome!!
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I added protein powder as my snack every day, it became much easier to control hunger. I was also able to hit over MFPs protein target easily.