Sweets craving!!!!!HELP

Options
For some reason lately i just have to have something sweet with my lunch and dinner and it usually ends up being some type of cookie or pastry and I know that's not good, so with that being said I'm looking for suggestions on healthy snacks!

Replies

• countlessnumbers
    Options
    I used to have really intense sugar cravings not that long ago, but after a little bit of controlling my sugar intake the cravings are hardly there. I still enjoy sweets but I don't feel the need to eat them as often. If you are really craving something in particular I'd reccomend just eating a little bit of it, but if you're just craving something sweet than popsicals made from 100 percent juice can be really good.
  • ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Firstly, know that sugar and refined flour etc in white pastry give you a fast "high" and so are pretty addictive. That might help you get a handle on why you are craving them. Secondly you are gonna have to try and replace them with something healthier like fruit. Make sure you get in the kind of fruit you like, even if it's relatively expensive. Or a low fat relatively low sugar yoghurt.

It might help to think of it as adding more healthy things IN to your diet and substituting rather than "cutting out". Also, are you maybe craving sweet stuff because you are tired and are getting an energy low at those times? eg mid-afternoon? If so, low GI foods like wholewheat toast/bread etc will release more energy in the long-run.

I'm just trying to wean myself off a sweet kick at the moment by eating fruit (nice ripe pears, sweet, crispy apples, under-ripe bananas), organic low fat vanilla yoghurt with dessicated coconut sprinkled on top... I find if I let myself have ONE bit of chocolate, before I know it I'm having cake/cheesecake/chocolate 3-4 times a day, so in that sense I have to treat it a bit like an addiction and not have that first chocolate! But that's me. Hope this has been a bit helpful. 8)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php

This is a list of cravings and what they really mean in the context of your body. I hope it helps! :D
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    A handful of berries, a slice of watermelon, or some other fruit.

Sugar-free jelly (jello).

A cup of hot skim milk with a drop or two of vanilla essence stirred in.

Ice-cream made by freezing a chopped-up banana, then blending it together with a spoonful of low-fat yoghurt (no need to add sugar or anything else, and it really does taste and feel like ice-cream).

A single square of good dark chocolate.