Can't shop til tomorrow. what can I make with ground turkey

Options
kikkipoo
kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
Well, the pantry is getting pretty low and I'm down to a package of ground turkey in the freezer? I still want to stick to a nice healthy dinner with the minimal ingredients I have until I can get to the store tomorrow. Hit me with your best suggestions.

Replies

• significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Larb, if you have the herbs. Dice a red onion, brown with the turkey and some grated lemongrass, add chicken stock, a little fish sauce and a little chopped chilli, simmer to reduce the stock, stir in coriander (cilantro) and mint, then serve over rice or chopped lettuce.

But that does require quite a few ingredients you probably don't have lying around. So: Turkey burgers? Turkey bolognaise? Turkey chilli? Turkey rissoles with salad? Turkey scotch eggs?
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I dont know what else you have in your pantry but you can do anything with it
    chili
    soup
    burgers
    tacos
    taco salad
    meatloaf
    stews
    pasta
  • Ssocrrbabe
    Options
    If you have noodles ans spaghetti sauce you can make spaghetti. Or if you have rice, canned corn and black beans you can brown the ground turkey, cook the rice, mix corn, rice, black beans together with spices and you have a one skillet dinner
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Everything Significance mentioned sounds amazing.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    spaghetti or tacos!!! mmmmm
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I love Shepherd's Pie. Also, meatballs for soup or pasta.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Anything you would make with ground beef. :drinker:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers!
  • dnnmccloud
    dnnmccloud Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A broiled turkey burger is always good...a lil soy sauce, garlic powder, lemon pepper, a lil salt. Option two would be taco meat and make a taco salad, option 3 would be a mini meatloaf, Option four sloppy joe!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I made the best turkey pasta the other day...

Browned the turkey, added celery, capsicum, onion, carrot, mushrooms, zucchini (all chopped extremely finely so it's unrecognisable) and some taco sauce.

Added that concoction to some cooked pasta and voila!
  • msallymae
    msallymae Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    do u have tomato sauce and some spices? like chili and everything? u can make a low carb low fat chili. brown your ground turkey, season with the spices. add a jar of salsa and top w/ cheese of choice. i sometimes add rotel or diced tomatoes.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    chili, tacos, meatloaf, burger...pretty much anything you can make with other ground meats lol.
  • miss_kisha
    miss_kisha Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is really good and healthy with ground turkey: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moms_ground_turkey_and_peppers/
    it says to use dark meat ground turkey but lean is good too. There are very few ingredients but it is yummy.

Another good one with few ingredients is: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/easy-baked-parmesan-meatballs-54327.aspx
    just sub ground turkey for the beef
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I made just a basic turkey chili today for the first time. It was really good. I also make turkey burgers and just add a bit of worchestshire saice before I make the patties so they wont be too dry.

Really anything you make with beef, you can do with turkey.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    http://www.supercook.com/

Enter the contents of your pantry, get recipes.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Asian Lettuce Wraps :D

Ingredients:
    Turkey meat
    Veggies of your choosing (i like mushrooms and zucchini)
    Sweet Chili Sauce (to taste)
    Lettuce
    Salt
    Pepper

How:
    Lightly season the turkey with salt and pepper. Cook in pan until almost browned. Add a little sweet chili sauce whisked into some water (about 1/4 of a cup of water will do). Add veggies. The water will steam them and you can finish browning the meat and veggies as it cooks. You can add more sauce once its almost done. Then you just place it, and use the lettuce like a little tortilla.
    Its low calorie and low carb. Plus suppppeerr yummy. :D
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Ingredients
    1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
    3 pounds boneless pork ribs
    1 (18 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce

Directions
    1.Pour can of beef broth into slow cooker, and add boneless pork ribs. Cook on High heat for 4 hours, or until meat shreds easily. Remove meat, and shred with two forks. It will seem that it's not working right away, but it will.
    2.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Transfer the shredded pork to a Dutch oven or iron skillet, and stir in barbeque sauce.
    3.Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You can anything with ground turkey as you can do with ground beef-

My suggestions for "kicking it up a notch" to taste closer to beef -

Cayenne Pepper / or Chili Pepper
    Worcchestirecherirer Sauce (Sorry I lost the Worcestire spelling bee)
    Salt (the good kind not table salt)
    Garlic

If you happen to have smoke flavoring or low sodium beef bullion those are the cheating way of seasoning it.

Otherwise season it like you would season tacos, burritos, hamburgers etc but the Worchesterishresser sauce makes it nice.
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try www.skinnytaste.com they have a multitude of turkey recipes!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    http://www.supercook.com/

Enter the contents of your pantry, get recipes.

That rocks, thanks for posting!