Running- log average speed for calories burned?

Options
I went out for a run/walk today and did 3.5 miles in 38 min... it was a combination of running and walking over the time period with equal amounts of uphill , flat, and downhill... should I plug that into my exercise as an average of 11 min mile or should I be timing how long I walk and run individually? I'm not sure how that works! thanks :)

Replies

• YogaBooty
    Options
    I went out for a run/walk today and did 3.5 miles in 38 min... it was a combination of running and walking over the time period with equal amounts of uphill , flat, and downhill... should I plug that into my exercise as an average of 11 min mile or should I be timing how long I walk and run individually? I'm not sure how that works! thanks :)
  • puppylove84
    Options
    I usually time how long I walk and log that separately - that way I can more accurately measure what my pace is both for running and walking
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I usually average it out, but I'm not overly concerned about what my pace is though. Now i just use my HRM to log calories.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I average it out too. I figure that unless my walking part was really long, and allows my heart rate to drop way back down, it's all the same. when you run/walk, do you walk for more than a minute? that's what I've been shooting for, is to run until I think I can't, then walk for a minute to recover, then start running again. my length of time able to run has gone way up doing it this way.