Don't hold the rails!

Options
Just a little reminder, if you use a treadmill, don't hold the rails! I've been dead guilty of doing this in the past and as a result, have been cheating myself of a proper workout. Here's an article from American Fitness:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0675/is_4_19/ai_76693640

The synopsis:

"For weight reduction, the duration and intensity of the "work" will determine how many calories are expended. If the work is reduced by holding the handrails, then fewer calories will be burned and less weight will be lost.

People tend to hold the handrails because they are simply not motivated to work outside their comfort zone. A common example is when people increase the treadmill's speed, to that normally used for running, but then hold the handrails and walk at an abnormally fast pace. I have even seen people increase the treadmill's elevation to augment the workload, then hold the handrails and lean back, thus defeating the entire purpose of the elevation."

Replies

• Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    Options
    Just a little reminder, if you use a treadmill, don't hold the rails! I've been dead guilty of doing this in the past and as a result, have been cheating myself of a proper workout. Here's an article from American Fitness:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0675/is_4_19/ai_76693640

The synopsis:

"For weight reduction, the duration and intensity of the "work" will determine how many calories are expended. If the work is reduced by holding the handrails, then fewer calories will be burned and less weight will be lost.

People tend to hold the handrails because they are simply not motivated to work outside their comfort zone. A common example is when people increase the treadmill's speed, to that normally used for running, but then hold the handrails and walk at an abnormally fast pace. I have even seen people increase the treadmill's elevation to augment the workload, then hold the handrails and lean back, thus defeating the entire purpose of the elevation."
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Cheers to you for realizing now not to hold the rails!:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

omg...have you ever gotten those blisters from HOLDING THE RAILS....the worst!
    thanks for the info
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

thanks for the info
    OUCH:noway:No I never got blisters from them:blushing: , but then again I've never been a 'gripper'.:tongue: Maybe you're gripping to tight? Have you read the article she shared on not holding onto the rails? That might help out:wink::flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

thanks for the info
    OUCH:noway:No I never got blisters from them:blushing: , but then again I've never been a 'gripper'.:tongue: Maybe you're gripping to tight? Have you read the article she shared on not holding onto the rails? That might help out:wink::flowerforyou:

Oh yes...that must be the Helsinki grip syndrome...I had that as a kid and fell off my bike all the time and so my Dad sold my bike and used the money to buy a bunch of beer. He told me to get over it when I cried. I need to read those articles. Thanks for the tip...you are awesome and fantastic!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

thanks for the info

Oh yes...that must be the Helsinki grip syndrome...I had that as a kid and fell off my bike all the time and so my Dad sold my bike and used the money to buy a bunch of beer. He told me to get over it when I cried. I need to read those articles. Thanks for the tip...you are awesome and fantastic!
    I had a friend that had to deal with her Brother having that when I was young (I had no idea what the name of it was). It was rough for the whole family.:cry::brokenheart:

Wonder if that is partly why some hang on so tight to the bars on some of the equipment and that sort of thing:ohwell: . I'm so glad you brought that up, it'd never occurred to me being anything other than someone maybe simply being afraid to let go on the treadmill, bike etc.:noway:

Glad you posted:flowerforyou: That's what makes MFP:heart: so great when folks share what's happened to them and pass it along so others can learn from it!:smile:

Oh, and sorry about your Dad Dave:blushing: :cry: :brokenheart:

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I was told that when you use the treadmill, bike or ellip you should go without hands for a core workout.

That was all I had to hear! I mean really, work my abs without getting on the floor!! WOO HOO!

So I now incorporate 1-2-3 minutes at a time on the ellip w/o hands. It takes concentration and effort to keep balance, which is the idea.

I couldnt believe on the bike (the tall one, not the recumbent) I put my hands above my head like when you were a kid and yelled
    'LOOK MA NO HANDS"
    "LOOK MA NO FEET'
    "LOOK MA NO TEEF!!!!"

I could really feel my abs, my arms, my chest. amazing

Anyway...I see ppl all the time on 10 incline holding onto the machine. I would rather be on 5 and feel my abs, chest, butt engage than holding on for dear life!

Even on that machine with that ppl do for the hammy-ya know like skiing up hill? I see them holding on...sure their working their lower body. Watched a guy yesterday HOT I tell ya, ripped...he was turning a bit sideways lifting his arms, holding one are out then the other. he wasnt going fast but I could see at least 10 muscles moving when he did this (ok so it was a wonderful show!)