Making your own salad dressing?

Options
2»

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I like to make italian dressing and I don't make it lite either.. I usually wind up with a good 150 calories on my salad from dressing, but at least I know it's high quality EVOO and it's worth every delicious bite!

Sometimes I make coleslaw dressing, When I make it, I just use a bit less mayo and a bit more buttermilk and I add some strained yogurt. Using more buttermilk does two things to lighten it up, first it has fewer calories by volume and second it makes it runny so more of it slides off the cabbage so you get less dressing.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I just use balsamic vinegar.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    bump! love these ideas
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    bump! love these ideas
    Me too!
  • meaganh13
    meaganh13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Do you like Greek dressing? The BEST recipe is Club House Greek seasoning (found in your local supermarket and is great on chicken/pork/veggies as well), mix with grapeseed or olive oil, lemon juice and some vinegar (I use white wine vinegar). Chill for 20 minutes or store in a container in the fridge.

Very low cal, tasty, and adds a lot of zip to salads, traditional greek salad or is just plain yummy on cucumber, etc.

Enjoy!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    salsa is a favorite of mine for salads, but can be bad for you too. luckily, i live in arizona where fresh salsa from local mexican restaurants is available at most grocery stories (none of that gross el paso processed full of sodium crap).

i also use plain barbecue sauce or other combinations of condiments. for example, i might mix a little bit of olice oil mayo with some pepper, olive oil and vinegar.

i also think you could mash up an avocado, add a little salt, maybe a little pepper or any other spices you like, add a bit of olive oil and vinegar and you'd have a nice creamy dressing that is still relatively healthy. it would have some fat, but they'd be the good for you fats you need for shiny hair and nails, etc.
  • mzkynd
    mzkynd Posts: 63
    Options

i also think you could mash up an avocado, add a little salt, maybe a little pepper or any other spices you like, add a bit of olive oil and vinegar and you'd have a nice creamy dressing that is still relatively healthy. it would have some fat, but they'd be the good for you fats you need for shiny hair and nails, etc.

This sounds absolutely yummy AND since I have been noticing my hair feeling kinda blah, Is most definitely on my menu this week!
    Thanks for sharing :)