How do you know when to buy new athletic shoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'd say around 300-500 miles on running shoes. I usually buy new pairs before then, and still use the old ones for non running activities.

Yep :)
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    However, the backs of the heels have fabric ripping, and when I run my toes hurt. Should I buy new ones?

Toes hurt? Maybe they're a bad fit in the first place. Fabric ripping? Depends on what you do with the shoes. Running, high-impact stuff, just what rowerrunnercm said. Most people say 300-500 miles for running, a bit more for walking.

I have to agree - maybe have somebody help you with fitment. When I did the Breast Cancer 3-day walk, the biggest thing they talk about when buying shoes is making sure that they fit correctly. Your feet will swell when you walk / work-out, so you have to account for that. A good place to go and do fitment is your local New Balance store - they'll work with you to pick the right pair.

I'm going to give a thumbs up to the New Balance bit. My boyfriend works for them - before I met him I thought NB were lame, til he fit me for a pair. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Also - shoes are not made to be used to long periods of time. If you work out (especially running) regularly, you will MAYBE get a year out of a pair of shoes before they need to be replaced. Your shoes shouldn't be visibly worn out by the time you need new ones. If you have ANY pain when wearing them, pitch them and get new ones. Don't cheap out for the sake of money - orthotics cost a hell of a lot more. I used cheap shoes that I kept forever til I met my boyfriend - and because of it I need orthotics and my feet have flattened out that I'm a wide shoe now. I'm only 27 and I need orthotic inserts. Thanks cheapness and ****ty shoes.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    For me I start to feel the impact more in one part of the ball of my foot, I just know then that they are in need of replacement.

Top tip if you're lucky enough to have the spare money, buy two pairs and use one for short run, and another pair half a size bigger for long runs

You're feet expand when you run, especially long runs, half a size extra helps prevent hurt toes and it increases the life span of your everyday runners.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have different shoes for running on the treadmill and running outside and since I run inside more my shoes wear differently...so when I change and run outside and then next run inside and my feet or knees hurt, then I know it is time to replace those shoes. (and vice-verse...if I run outside and it hurts, time for new shoes