Interval Cardio Discussion

Options
I have always failed at loosing weight b/c I plateau easily. Even when I was vegan and working a warehouse job where I climbed ladders all day, I lost 12lbs and then stuck... So I gave up, and after adding eggs and dairy to my diet I am up to 330lbs. I need to try again because things are out of control.

So, I am trying again to loose "fat" this time. I am tired of failing. I have been looking at interval-cardio. Here is an article from a men's magazine about it from the web http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/interval-training-workouts.

Let talk about Interval Cardio!

What are your experiences with it?
Thoughts?
Opinions?

Also, Is there anyone who started at a heavy weight such as myself that can share their experience?

Replies

• 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Although not in the same place as you, can say, I've been doing Turbofire which has a lot of high intensity interval training in it and the weight is coming off steadily.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I do intervals in my machine cardio things for two reasons 1) heard it helps burn fat and 2) it spices things up. I'm not very good at doing it when I'm running normally, but on a treadmill I start at a certain speed and then after a minute or two I hit it really fast - so fast I couldn't sustain it for more than 2 minutes anyway - and then when I'm sure I've reached my limit I give it an extra 10 seconds and then drop back for a minute or two to recover.
    If anything it's really improved my cardiovascular fitness and run speed :) (Today my recovery jog is the same speed as my 'top speed' of about 2 months ago :)))

My weight "only" started at 200lbs, so I can't help in that respect - but I like interval cardio - I don't think there'll be many against it. :) Give it a go.

I also do the same on the exercise bikes, ellipticals and (my fave to do it on) rowing machine :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Just doing cardio isn't the most effective way to lose weight and people that only do cardio have been shown in studies to plateau much faster than people who combine weight training with cardio. Also muscle tone is much different from people who do cardio only compared to people who do combined weight/cardio training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    Just doing cardio isn't the most effective way to lose weight and people that only do cardio have been shown in studies to plateau much faster than people who combine weight training with cardio. Also muscle tone is much different from people who do cardio only compared to people who do combined weight/cardio training.

IDEA Fitness member

So true! I finally got around to weight training and though I am about 5 or 6 lbs heavier than my previous recent LW, I look much lighter. Yay, strength training!
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    Sorry, didn't mean to double post ;)
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I lose more weight when I combine Cardio with Weight training. Sometimes I get all caught up in the hype of trying to run and forget my strength training for a week or so and have noticed that my loss definitely slows down, and picks up once I start to incorporate strength again.

I started at around 300lbs (I'm not sure exactly because I'm an Aussie and we work in kgs) and have lost 50lbs over a 12 month period.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Best to do cardio and weight training

As ninerbuff already pointed out, those who merely do cardio tend to have much Less muscle so their physique Iooks Iess than steIIar

I'm 5'9" and weight 155 pounds, people think I weight 170 or more for some reason
  • eponai
    eponai Posts: 38 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

+1! yes weight training is my primary exercise. if you are going to do cardio to burn fat, intervals are the way to go though! it continues to burn calories long after you've stopped. the key though, is you really have to go ALL OUT in the sprint interval. a good place to start is 30 sec sprint 90 sec recovery. good luck!
  • Sbasquez
    Sbasquez Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips everyone! You look great!
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    exercise is one thing...but DIET is NUMBER 1...if you eat the right amounts of healthy foods...the weight will come off. easy as. that coupled with a varied exercise routine..it should be dripping off you in no time...gdluck