Could you stop if you had too?

Options
I have been thinking about this quite a bit over the last few months. I work out 6 days a week for about an hour every day depending on what I am working on. A few months ago I hurt my foot so I had to take some time off of running to let my foot heal. It made me feel like I was going to lose my mind. To counteract that I started amping up my strength training finding new ways to work out that wouldn't irritate my injury.

So my question is for my fellow fitness nuts, can you rest even when you know it will do you good. I take every Saturday as a DOR and I value a day to let my body heal, I am talking about long term rest.

I do not remember the last time I went for more than 3 days without working out. The thought of doing it freaks me out.

Replies

• StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options

I do not remember the last time I went for more than 3 days without working out. The thought of doing it freaks me out.

Goodness, I think this is one of those problems that one would be BLESSED to have. lol I would love to go nutty if I couldn't work out. It would make it so so SO much easier to get off my kester every day and burn a few cals. :embarassed:
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I don't have that problem. I get a bit antsy when I haven't done anything for a while, but having had to take a few breaks in the past and with my lazy tendency I know I'd be fine.
  • LisaLittle05
    LisaLittle05 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wish that I were at this point. To make it my routine and to miss it if I didnt get to work out. I struggle with feeling guilty for taking time away from my son. Im a huge homebody. I will get there ONE day hopefully!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Rest days are the hardest - I get very antsy.
    I try to make that a day for watching a movie to take up time I might otherwise spend exercising.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of like you, if there's nothing stopping me from working out then that's what I'm doing, otherwise I don't feel like I'm using my time wisely.
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Resting and exercise are both incredibly important in healthy exercise. I've heard that if you over exercise and not get enough rest, you could gain weight.
    Yesterday I wanted to spend more time in the gym, but, I hadn't slept well the past 3 days. I decided to go home and get some rest, and go back to the gym today.
    Once a week you should have a DOR. I usually choose a Saturday or Sunday, unless there is a weekday where I have more than 2 clients (I do in-home care as a CNA), then that day I spend away from the gym.

In terms of weight loss, it's important that you give your body time to rest, at least, it's important to me.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    I struggle with feeling guilty for taking time away from my son.

Look at it this way - Your work outs aren't hurting your son, in fact, they're kind of FOR your son - so that you can be around for a long time. Sure he might miss you while you're gone for a couple hours working out, but if it adds years to your life you owe it to yourself and him to do it. :)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I cant stand it when I take a day off......who wouldve thought we would be this way! I used to talk myself out of working out, any excuse would do!! I have been dealing with some running injuries and it is killing me because I have had to "adjust" but atleast I am able to run some and not just totally stop it! But Yes if I had to stop doing what I love, I would find a replacement!
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I plan days off and then don't take them. just can't....i get funky if I don't work out. It's hard to wrap your head around it when you know you should...but the child takes over and say's..."but it feels good" !
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I love rest days.
    I got better results when I stopped working out every day and swapped to a 3day split.
  • Katie5961
    Katie5961 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Rest days are the hardest - I get very antsy.

This is me as well, I get so twitchy!

I used to be the type who would sporadically force myself to work out here and there, once or twice a month. Now that I've been doing some form of high intensity exercise 6 days a week for the last 6 months, I'm so hooked I could never go back!

Pregnancies are going to be quite a challenge :explode:
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I kind of have to force myself to take rest days, but I know I need them. They are good for me and as important as the eating healthy and working out....I do get antsy though...and I have a "rule" 2 rest days in a row is my limit-the third consecutive day is no longer rest (barring illness/injury) it's slacking off. So that usually gets me back in the groove.

Exercise is such a huge part of my stress management that I really do miss it when I can't work out....I need the mood boost and to burn off that energy from stress/anxiety. Running helps clear my mind, and working out is my "me" time.

It's all about balance, and listening to my body, mind and soul. (the mind is often the hardest part to get on the right track, isn't it? lol)

:smile:
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    I workout about the same as you 6 days a week and about 1 to 1 1/2 hours per day. I even have a hard time not working out that 7th day. Normally I take Sunday off to rest.... but some times find myself "just doing a little pilates". I feel weird even lazy if im not getting in a workout on days where I have the time!! Since Sunday Im ususally home and "relaxing" that guilt seeps in and some times takes over! haha.
    As for skipping or having ot stop long term.....No. Not a chance I could allow myself the rest or recoop. Its as mental for me as physical... I would go crazy!
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Your workouts have become a habit. Plain and simple. A GOOD habit, thankfully, but that's how habits work. :) You do a thing repeatedly and you begin to feel you must have it every day. :) I am the same way, and so happy to have a healthy addiction instead of one that would destroy my body, mind or both.
  • Alison__
    Alison__ Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm scared that I won't be able to stop counting calories. I know this is very common, and I'm scared that even when I reach my goal weight, I'm going to either forget all about portion control and gain weight, or continue with the counting. I want to be able to eat normally but I'm afraid I'm thinking too much about it...
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    Wow! All you guys who have trouble NOT working out - I really hope I can be like that some day. I guess it would help if I had a gym membership. Maybe then I'd get more out of working out (hard to stay motivated when my workouts are just boring floor exercises that I can do in a tiny apartment).

Hmmm Maybe I should start a fund for a gym membership- a Help the Fat Girl Get Healthy Fund. lol
  • NikkiConroy
    Options
    I would lose my mind! I work out for about 2 hours a day, sometimes 3:)
    My family would not like me AT ALL if I had to stop. I take Sundays as a rest day and even then I don't even know how to start my day.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I understand, if I have the time I work out 5 days a week, but right now I am not because I have a fitness test this week-and I am going crazy-it feels so nice to work out. I think that rest days/weeks are very important and not taking them does more harm than good.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with a rest day. But any more than three in a row, and I get stabby. If I had to take a long term break, I'm pretty sure I'd need to go back on an antidepressant.

You know how a cat can sleep for 23 hours straight, then gets The Zoomies, tears through the house, jumps up a wall, tears back through the house, then goes right back to sleep? I get like that. I need my zoomies, or I go nuts.
  • kerryh1976
    Options
    I am OK taking the odd rest day, and have managed my work/home schedule to mean that the days I am too snowed under to exercise anyway are my rest days, so that works fine. But a prolonged rest period, weeks or even months, scares the c*** out of me. I think I would go crazy. I was chatting to a friend yesterday who has broken a bone in his wrist and isn't allowed to do anything at all, nothing using his arm (obviously) but no impact either because of the risk of dislodging something. And that is my idea of hell. He too is climbing the walls after only a week or so, and has three months to get through.

So I am with you there, I find it really hard to slow down, even if I know I should. I am hoping I never have to!