Kettlebells

Options
I'm thinking about getting a kettlebell and wanted some feedback on what ya'll think about them.

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You could just use a dumbbell
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think they are round, heavy and fun to move around in wide arcs. They leave me winded and achey and relaxed. They are another way to excercise.

It's hard to respond to a very vague topic. What do you actually want to know?
  • linz1976
    linz1976 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a couple and they are really good. Some good kettlebell dvds out there as well that show you how to do it properly. Bob harper from biggest loser has a good one which I use. Start on a low weight then build up. It really gets the heart rate up and you burn alot of calories.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    kettlebells ROCK - I like it a lot better than 'weight lifting' -
    in fact, Nana wants Jillian's ($90) kettlebell for Christmas. I want it so muchly- it's ONE kettlebell with weights you add up to 20 lbs
    I'd die if I could get to 20 lbs LOL
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Um, it is weight lifting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mlawilm
    mlawilm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love the kettle bell !! The workout is very different from the one you would get using a dumb bell. You hold it differently so it works different muscles than a dumb bell
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Enjoy doing kettlebell drills. Used to use free weights in the gym with my son - don't ask me why but I love doing drills and hate doing the slow controlled stuff we used to do. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Um, it is weight lifting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

oh - u know what I mean... I like it better than 'traditional' type weights. I think I like a faster paced, less structured workout?
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Make sure you know how to use them properly.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    oh - u know what I mean... I like it better than 'traditional' type weights. I think I like a faster paced, less structured workout?

It depends on what you are doing. You can use bells for speed work and endurance, or you can use them for slow, structured movements, see Turkish Get-ups.

You can do the same with regular dumbbells. There is nothing magical about a kettlebell it's just an unevenly-balanced weight. So are clubbells and other old-timey strongman tools.

My only frown about kettlebells is that you pretty nearly have to keep buying more as you get stronger, at least with dumbbells it's easy to get a set you can simply add plates to as you advance. I'm up to 35lbs for swings and like 45-50 each hand for farmer's walks. Those start to get up there price wise.
  • tiamaria8182
    tiamaria8182 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    in fact, Nana wants Jillian's ($90) kettlebell for Christmas. I want it so muchly- it's ONE kettlebell with weights you add up to 20 lbs
    I'd die if I could get to 20 lbs LOL

Whaaat! Adjustable kettlebell? Oh this one is going straight to the top of my list for Santa.

I burned 457 cal last night in my half hour kettlebells class. I definitely recommend them.
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advise. I will be looking into the ajustable ones. Think I'll get a 10lb. one to start with.
  • sjhaar
    sjhaar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Can anyone suggest any good kettlebell dvds?
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There is some short ones on u tube.
  • alibikini
    alibikini Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a bit of research on this and there seem to be two top ones for women - kettlecise for womens (apparently more popular with beginners than experienced folks) and Power Body:Kettlebell Workout - this one is really popular, but its US (region 1?) DVD only. Might be best trying to get a second hand copy.
    I just ordered the kettlecise for womens 2disk workout - I'll let you know once I've given that a go!
  • SWFrick
    SWFrick Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've used kettlebells off an on for the last few years. The down side is that they can expensive. I can across a $10.00 alternative to make a T-Bar for kettlebell swings.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tim-ferriss-superhuman-kettlebell.htm
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I love them, I burned 630cals in 50min today using an 8kg kettlebell doing 3 sets of 3 different exercises plus some low impact vipr in between. they are more fluid than dumbells imo as well as utilizing more muscles at one time.

I would say go heavier & get proper training, you can do real damage if using them incorrectly but then that applies to any weights.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    A good starter workout is posted on prevention.com... no DVD required.

http://www.prevention.com/fitness/strength-training/kettlebell-workout
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My feedback is .....OWWWWWIE! I don't think my legs were ever more sore from a workout:noway:
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Been thinking about getting one myself but not sure about which weight to get so looking at finding an adjustable one here in Australia for a Chrsitmas present for myself. Will check out the YouTube vids too

Thx guys :smile: