How do you get up early to workout...

Options
Im wanting to change my time to workout.,, But getting up at 5am is really hard. How can I get this a routine...

Replies

• chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I started workingout before work this past fall. At first it was hard to get going while the rest of the house was still snoozing, but I found that it gave me more energy and I don't need that cup of coffee to get going anymore.Also found that at this time of day there's no excuses to delay my workout since there's no one else up to ask mom to help and mom can't start doing chores because it will wake everyone else up.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I started working out in the am about 6 wks ago, I meet a friend at the gym for 6 so I am generally up at 5 or 5:15...I think it really helps to have a partner so you can hold each other accountable. What really motivates me is the fact that it is over and done with for the day so I can just relax after work! I usually pack my bag, make my lunch and get my clothes ready the night before so I just have to get up and go in the morning.
  • prettypooks
    prettypooks Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning exerciser, and I love it. I just started waking up a little earlier each day. Even if I only had time to do a few pushups, situps, etc., it helped get me in to the habit. Now, I get up at 5am 4-5 days a week to get in a run or some pre-work yoga.

I also do the same thing as czechsmate. My running gear is always ready the night before, I always have my lunch and everything packed for the day so the only thing I need to worry about is getting up and exercising. As an extra little trick, I also put my running shoes / gear on the chair next to my bed at eye level. That way, when I wake up, it's staring at me. If I try and roll over and fall asleep, I know it's still looking at me. Sounds a little strange, but it seriously works!
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    For me I would love to work out in the mornings more then anything. However, I work 9am-5:30pm and it is still dark when I wake up at 6:30am-7am and then dark when I get home otherwise for me... I would be jogging for an hour atleast.
  • MercedesV
    MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Very helpful. I just joined a rec center and they have a 5:40-7am kickboxing class. I woke up at 5:20 but didn't get out of bed. HA! Might have been eaiser if I had had more things ready. :)
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i had a baby.......he is awesome at getting me up at rediculous hours, 5 am is easy now.....
  • jenniferhiggins
    jenniferhiggins Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    when the alarm goes off for my husband to go to work, i get off. i got right to the gym after he leaves the house. i actually walk out to the garage with him.
  • rowerrunnercmt
    Options
    Start with baby steps!
    Last year I started running a mile before school (which only required getting up about 20 minutes earlier than usual), then gradually increased the distance. I've been running the 6-8 mile range for a few months now :)
    I've found that my entire day is different when I exercise in the morning. You won't regret switching to morning workouts--you'll feel much more vibrant and alive the entire day!
  • Kris10can
    Options
    I have been getting up every morning at 6:15 and hop on the stationary bike in my PJs which helps to wake me up and feel energized for the morning.... I would much rather sleep in of course but it does do a body good.

Another trick I learned that works for me is to have my boyfriend turn on the bedroom light when he wakes up at 6am just to help me to wake up! :)
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    I gave up in the end and go in the day or night.
  • bens_momma
    Options
    As an extra little trick, I also put my running shoes / gear on the chair next to my bed at eye level. That way, when I wake up, it's staring at me. If I try and roll over and fall asleep, I know it's still looking at me. Sounds a little strange, but it seriously works!

Oh my gosh, this is hilarious! I love it!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM to three kids ages 1-5. Getting up early (as hard as it is some mornings) lets me get in a decent workout before they are up and needing my attention and it lets me have some down time alone after I'm done. I usually get up between 5-5:30 and workout anywhere from 30-60 minutes depending on the day. Once I finish I curl up on the sofa with a cup of tea or coffee and watch one of the junk shows I'm addicted to but don't wan the kids watching (Glee, Teen Mom 2, etc).

It helps that on weekdays my hubby is up between 4:30 and 5am to either go to the gym or go into work early but even on the weekends when he doesn't always get up I manage to drag myself out of bed to do it. I'd miss my morning time if I didn't.

And I like having it out of the way. Although 99% of the time I work out again in the afternoon when my son naps I like knowing that if something comes up (sick kid, too much cleaning to do, life gets in the way) I have at least gotten one decent workout it. And on the weekends it's the only one I do.

Just commit to doing it and drag yourself out of bed for the first week or so and after that I found it became routine and something I enjoyed enough to make it worth it.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    i had a baby.......he is awesome at getting me up at rediculous hours, 5 am is easy now.....

Pretty much this exactly. :)
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Slowly adapt to it. Depending on the time that you wake up, set your alarm 15 minutes earlier. Once you get used to that lower it again
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I've found that my entire day is different when I exercise in the morning. You won't regret switching to morning workouts--you'll feel much more vibrant and alive the entire day!

This is SO true! A month ago if you had told me that getting less sleep would result in more energy all day I would have called you crazy. But, a morning workout definitely puts a pep in my step all day and leaves me feeling great.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    the easiest thing.... just start doing it. that's it. just do it. make yourself get up every morning. but don't look at it like a negative. if you view it as a negative as having to get up early to work out it'll just be that much harder to do...... it's a good thing - a positive. My boyfriend gets up at 545, but I work from home and don't have to start work until 8am, so I could sleep right up until 745. However, I almost always get up at 6am - and hit the gym here in the neighborhood now that it's cold (before that I was getting up and taking the dog for a nice long walk).... you'll feel good and it'll give you energy for the day.
  • lilly2709
    Options
    I have little ones so it's not so hard any more :)
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

This, exactly. Everyone wonders how I can be so consistent. No one is more pesky than a toddler wanting a ride in the jogging stroller. Rest days are not an option.

They are older, but now it's a habit.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Need a partner - keeps you accountable. Get everything ready the night before. I get up at 4:30, at the gym when they open at 5. Run 2 miles on treadmill then do a class (various) from 5:30-6:30. Shower and home by 7 to get son on bus. If my friend came at 5 and I stood her up, it would be 'game over'. That keeps me going!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    1. Set the alarm for the desired wake up time
    2. Just get up and go

You need to find your inner motivation that pushes you to do it. No words from anyone on MFP will change the fact that you are responsible every day for exercising or not exercising. We are all tired, have busy lives, need sleep, etc. We all have excuses.