Too Much Water?

Options
I usually have a problem drinking more than 5 cups of water. But last night, I was so thirsty that my total for the day/night was around 15 cups. Can you drink too much water? And what does that do--if anything?

Replies

• Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Not nearly. I consume over double that on a daily basis.

Generally speaking, you'll only run into sodium/electrolyte deficiency problems after 3+ gallons.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    too much peeing, i drink about 16 cups a day
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's technically possible, but you're not even close. If you're thirsty, drink.
  • Spearo
    Spearo Posts: 47
    Options
    It's technically possible, but you're not even close. If you're thirsty, drink.

^that^
    I hardly drink water at all.
  • follownocrowd
    follownocrowd Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It is possible to drink to much water! Last April I landed in ICU because my heart rate dropped under 30 beats per minute and then stopped. My blood tests came back showing that I was fatally low on 5 major electrolytes. I spent 12 days in the hosital. I had a classic case of hyponatremia. I am a long distance runner, a vegetarian, and did not consume sodium. My sodium levels were so low that no matter how much water I drank, I was dehydrated because my cells were not holding water. Between that and having neurocardiogenic syncope, I put myself in danger. Drink if you feel thirsty because it is the best thing for you but make sure that you are getting your daily allowance of sodium and potassium...that does not mean that you can go out and eat as many french fries as you want....you need to stick with the healthy stuff!! It is all about balance and moderation!
  • PetersonMatthew
    Options
    I drink atleast 2 gallons a day
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It is possible to drink to much water! Last April I landed in ICU because my heart rate dropped under 30 beats per minute and then stopped. My blood tests came back showing that I was fatally low on 5 major electrolytes. I spent 12 days in the hosital. I had a classic case of hyponatremia. I am a long distance runner, a vegetarian, and did not consume sodium. My sodium levels were so low that no matter how much water I drank, I was dehydrated because my cells were not holding water. Between that and having neurocardiogenic syncope, I put myself in danger. Drink if you feel thirsty because it is the best thing for you but make sure that you are getting your daily allowance of sodium and potassium...that does not mean that you can go out and eat as many french fries as you want....you need to stick with the healthy stuff!! It is all about balance and moderation!

It's true that drinking lots of water while sweating for an extended period of time w/o getting any sodium can lead to hyponatremia. That's why you drink when you're thirsty instead of forcing fluids during long exercises (or drink something with electrolytes).

However, unless you're out there sweating for a very long time, it's very difficult to get hyponatremic. Most people's kidneys can clear about 12 liters of water per day. And most people don't eat low sodium.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Okay, thank you, y'all. Too many trips to the bathroom -is- annoying, but I'll live. :wink:

@follownocrowd: That sounds intense. I'm so sorry you had that experience. I'm not sure sodium is a problem, but I think you make a good point about potassium. Least I'm not munching french fries -- just Kashi.

@PetersonMatthews: Holy cow, Batman! 2 gallons!? I'd never leave the bathroom. I think I'd wash away. :smile:

But again, thanks for clearing that up for me.
  • QueenStromba
    QueenStromba Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've had a peek at your diary and yesterday looks like it was a particularly high carb day for you. Have you had your blood sugar checked recently? Being very thirsty is a symptom of high blood sugar.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I've had a peek at your diary and yesterday looks like it was a particularly high carb day for you. Have you had your blood sugar checked recently? Being very thirsty is a symptom of high blood sugar.

Yep, polydipsia and polyuria are common presenting signs. That said, everyone has those symptoms these days from drinking caffiene (or alcohol). So the OP shouldn't freak out, but getting checked out by a physician is a good idea.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Okay, thank you, y'all. Too many trips to the bathroom -is- annoying, but I'll live. :wink:

@follownocrowd: That sounds intense. I'm so sorry you had that experience. I'm not sure sodium is a problem, but I think you make a good point about potassium. Least I'm not munching french fries -- just Kashi.

@PetersonMatthews: Holy cow, Batman! 2 gallons!? I'd never leave the bathroom. I think I'd wash away. :smile:

But again, thanks for clearing that up for me.

It gets easier with time. Yes for the first week or two you may be making alot of trips to the bathroom, but it will lessen as your body gets used to you consuming more water. I've also found I go less as the weight comes off; less pressure I guess.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think it can be problematic if you guzzle it all at once, but if your body is telling you 'water me' you should listen :)

I don't keep track of my water (that's a bit too OCD, even for me!!), but if I'm thirsty I drink.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I was only concerned there might be adverse effects.

@ahamm002 & QueenStromba: I appreciate the advice. Because of my weight and because it runs in my family, I do have Type II diabetes. But I monitor my numbers daily and take my meds. I'm diligent about it and am usually below the numbers they suggest someone with diabetes should strive for. So I'm not concerned about my numbers. With the weight loss, I'm even hoping I'll be able to manage it better. Because of my low numbers, my doctor is optimistic as well.

As for being a bit high carb, I was yesterday for sure. My first two days ended up being within limits. But I only started about three days ago, so I'm still learning. I do hope to incorporate more veggies and what not into my diet. That's something I need to work on. Then again, I also don't believe in being too low carb. I went that way once. It wasn't good for me. My doctor didn't like what came back in my blood tests. So I'm trying to simply be sensible in my choices. To work on the things I can, etc.

I appreciate the concern, though. Truly. If you have other tips for a newb (i.e. not too too overwhelming), feel free to PM or respond here. I have to learn this other stuff at some point. :smile: