Probably a stupid question

Options
Some mama's who have had babies, our hips have spread, and while I'm thinking about it I seriously doubt anything can make them go back to pre-pregnancy lol. But thought I'd ask?

Mine only spread a very very little I notice because one of my hip bones sticks out a lot further then the other when before my daughter it didn't do that lol.

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Do you mean that the dimensions of your pelvis have changed after you have had a baby? That your skeleton has been permanently altered? Crikey.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    If i recall correctly, i think it takes 7 or 8yrs before your hips and all that go back to pre-baby stage. Only reason i remember is bc THATS FOREVER AND A DAY! lol and we did all that in 9mths!
  • tmtolbert
    tmtolbert Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    there is a band called shrinkx hips but i think it has to be worn for the 8 weeks after delivery while the relaxin is still in your system. other than that i don't know if there is anything that can be done to get the hips back to there original position :frown:
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    This is probably a stupid response but seriously, your hips spread? Like your bones moved apart??? I'm not a mom so this is something new for me! lol
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    oh god maybe I won't have kids
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    LOL Yes some women's hips do spread, and all the pain I had in my hips while carrying her, I know the spread. With my son they did not spread, I carried him pretty high though.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Same thing happened to me when I had my twins. It happens in most women. Our bodies are getting ready to push out a baby. I have noticed mine only because before kids, I was straight skinny. No hips, curves, nothing. Now, even though I haven't hit my goal weight, clothes fit differently and I can see the curves of my hips in the mirror. I honestly don't think there is anything you can do to change it. I was always told it was permanent.
  • Shannon_Nicole83
    Shannon_Nicole83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, your hips spread. Your rib cage also spreads, which is my issue. I wouldn't mind the extra wide hips if the ribs hadn't widen with them. :yawn: I'm not sure you can do anything to make them go back (but I'm new to the mom club so don't take my word on it).
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I've had two kids, and I didn't know this. LMAO. So, I'm no help to the OP
  • tmtolbert
    tmtolbert Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This is probably a stupid response but seriously, your hips spread? Like your bones moved apart??? I'm not a mom so this is something new for me! lol

when you are nearing the end of your pregnancy your body creates a hormone called relaxin that basically softens your pelvic joints so that the baby can pass through. it takes like 8 weeks for the relaxin to leave your system after child birth and your joints harden back up again. but it is really common for women's hips to spread during pregnancy/childbirth and stay "larger" after the pelvic joints harden back up. sad but true!
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Like someone else mentioned, I didn't notice my pelvis as much as my rib cage - my babies were all high up. But yeah, my rib cage is permanently larger. Oh well, I take as a badge of honor...along with my stretch marks, c-section scar, red eyes from lack of sleep....
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I know what you mean. Same thing happened to me when I had my twins. It happens in most women. Our bodies are getting ready to push out a baby. I have noticed mine only because before kids, I was straight skinny. No hips, curves, nothing. Now, even though I haven't hit my goal weight, clothes fit differently and I can see the curves of my hips in the mirror. I honestly don't think there is anything you can do to change it. I was always told it was permanent.

I have had three kids and I have never heard this before, so I doubt that it happens to most women.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    This is why junior sizes have narrower hips than misses sizes. After having my son, even at my lowest weight I could still not fit into pre-pregnancy skirts. (junior sizing)
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    yes it happens, yes its normal. Unfortunately you cannot really "reposition" the bone, without breakage.

Happened to me also. Been 20 years, hips are still wider, then pre-pregnancy.

Its okay though, you can still loss excess fat, lower overall body-fat percentage, rebuild/recondition muscle mass in lower body, so you can still look amazingly terrific. And lean out, as much as bone structure, and position, will allow.

:)
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is pretty common, some notice, others don't. As far as i know if the hips do go back it will take years, but it most likely permanent.
  • misti17
    misti17 Posts: 106
    Options
    Mine spread!!!!!!! My babies are 13 and 16 now and they have not gone back. So don't imagine they ever will. Oh well, my husband likes it. Plus it makes your waist look smaller!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options

when you are nearing the end of your pregnancy your body creates a hormone called relaxin that basically softens your pelvic joints so that the baby can pass through. it takes like 8 weeks for the relaxin to leave your system after child birth and your joints harden back up again. but it is really common for women's hips to spread during pregnancy/childbirth and stay "larger" after the pelvic joints harden back up. sad but true!

Wow, that explains a lot! Thanks for that info :) We learn something new everyday!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    yeah i dont think they really ever go back, your body changes forever when you have a baby. As one other poster said, i also think my ribs spread too.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I reckon this is all BS, sorry. Your bones havent moved, you are retaining fat around the hips. Not skeletal and not abnormal, just the way it is.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have had three kids and I have never heard this before, so I doubt that it happens to most women.

Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen to most women. It does not happen to every woman, but it does happen to a lot of women.
    This is why junior sizes have narrower hips than misses sizes. After having my son, even at my lowest weight I could still not fit into pre-pregnancy skirts. (junior sizing)

Actually I just recently got back into a pair of Jr. size 16 jeans, but I can wear a misses 12 lol. Mine didn't spread as wide as I've seen some of my friends, I only noticed because of this lump that sticks out on one side of hip that was not there 2 years ago lol.