Calling all HRM users

Options
I have been reading the past threads on here about HRM's and am still undecided about them. I do not want to spend a fortune on an HRM but it seems that the HRM is necessary. I really need an accurrate calorie counter and something to keep me in check if im not working out hard enough. I think that an HRM will definitly be my answer.

Now onto the hard part. I want something that is not too expensive preferably under $100. I don't need anything that has all the bells and whistles, as I am just a beginner. All I want to know is if im in the right HR zone and how many calories I am burning.

The other issue is this chest strap business. How does the chest strap work? Where do you wear it under your shirt or over? It really worries me because I think it's going to be uncomfortable for me.

Has anyone used an HRM without the chest strap? How do they work? Do you have to keep pressing a button to check your HR every so often?

THanks for all your help fellow MFP'ers ! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• hopetobeinshape
    Options
    I have been reading the past threads on here about HRM's and am still undecided about them. I do not want to spend a fortune on an HRM but it seems that the HRM is necessary. I really need an accurrate calorie counter and something to keep me in check if im not working out hard enough. I think that an HRM will definitly be my answer.

Now onto the hard part. I want something that is not too expensive preferably under $100. I don't need anything that has all the bells and whistles, as I am just a beginner. All I want to know is if im in the right HR zone and how many calories I am burning.

The other issue is this chest strap business. How does the chest strap work? Where do you wear it under your shirt or over? It really worries me because I think it's going to be uncomfortable for me.

Has anyone used an HRM without the chest strap? How do they work? Do you have to keep pressing a button to check your HR every so often?

THanks for all your help fellow MFP'ers ! :flowerforyou:
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    They really are worth the money! Ones without a chest strap are said to be inaccurate. They go under your shirt and is thin and bendy and is strapped around you with elastic, heres a pic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate_monitor (its the top pic). If strapped on tight enough etc they are comfortable. I have a Polar F4 which is the cheapest Polar that calculates the calorie expenditure and its great. I recommend you look into it.
  • fiddlechic
    Options
    I have the polar F6 and it was over a $100 but not my much. I love the chest strap. I actually forget that I'm wearing it after I'm done working out and dont realize it until I'm about to get into the shower. anyway...I too have read the chest strap is more accurate and I bought the more expensive polar HRM bc I can swim with it!
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I read that the ones without a cheststrap are inaccurrate too, but I have one, and have compared the chest strap while on the treadmill to my strapless one, and my strapless one is always right on with the chest strap, so, I am okay without the chest strap, it is close enough for me. I use it to make me slow down and stay in my healthy workout range. Everyone has their own opinion, and with mine you do have to press the button to get your heartrate, but it calculates calories burned, you can keep track of calories eaten on it too, as well as timed workouts. I like mine, and I found the chest strap uncomfortable when I used it. Mine is a MIO, which I have read some bad reviews on but it does the trick for me and was only about $60.
  • hopetobeinshape
    Options
    Thank you for all the help! I will definitely begetting one...now onto the research of them :tongue:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I have the polar F6 and it was over a $100 but not my much. I love the chest strap. I actually forget that I'm wearing it after I'm done working out and dont realize it until I'm about to get into the shower. anyway...I too have read the chest strap is more accurate and I bought the more expensive polar HRM bc I can swim with it!

I got the Polar F6 also and love it! It does have teh chest strap, but it fits right under your bra and is very comfortable. I got mine at http://www.polardiscount.com and it was on sale for $99 and free shipping. Not sure if they're still having that deal or not! I'm so glad that I finally took the plunge and got a HRM!! :bigsmile: