How do you stay away from bad foods?

Options
I was just wondering what people do when they have a craving for sweets or any type of bad foods? I dont go over board with bad foods but I still eat them and I want to stop eating them. I want to put it out of the house but I dont want to have to make my daughter stay away from it. I am potty training her so the only way to reward her is with candy. But sometimes I get a craving for that candy and I eat it and I feel bad afterwards. But its not just candy its also mexican sweet bread. My husband is mexican and he loves mexican bread and I do to and he buys it for him and his family that we live with and I eat the bread too and I also feel bad after I eat that too. So how do you all go about staying away from bad stuff? and if you do eat it what do you do to make yourself feel better about it?

Replies

• Iwillbemeagain
    Options
    I would plan your day out and allow yourself to treat here and there without going over.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Try to find a healthier alternative most of the time.

ie..air popped popcorn vs potato chips.

Then once in awhile, splurge.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering what people do when they have a craving for sweets or any type of bad foods? I dont go over board with bad foods but I still eat them and I want to stop eating them. I want to put it out of the house but I dont want to have to make my daughter stay away from it. I am potty training her so the only way to reward her is with candy. But sometimes I get a craving for that candy and I eat it and I feel bad afterwards. But its not just candy its also mexican sweet bread. My husband is mexican and he loves mexican bread and I do to and he buys it for him and his family that we live with and I eat the bread too and I also feel bad after I eat that too. So how do you all go about staying away from bad stuff? and if you do eat it what do you do to make yourself feel better about it?

There are other ways to reward your daughter for going potty besides candy. That is setting an awful expectation for the future.

As far as craving go, I took matters into my own hands so I no longer have cravings. I make a conscience decision on whether I will choose to have something sweet on occasion, but I don't eat junk food at all any longer. We don't even keep it in the house.

We have some organic dark chocolate which is 80% cacao and we have pumpkin custard in our house - the custard is home made from scratch.

If I am going to indulge, it will be something that is made with the finest ingredients and it will be home made. Other than that, it is easy to say no to processed, chemical laden food.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods, just bad diets. Moderation. I know these are cliches but they are true........people tend to go to extremes for the cure, which is not very realistic for 99% of us.
  • lunarescape
    lunarescape Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid overly processed foods altogether. However, it's unrealistic to completely get rid of candies and sweets from your diet (especially this time of year.) It's all about moderation. My mom recently made Duncan Hines brownies and I avoided them for a few days, and then eventually I was killing myself over it and allowed myself half of one. It's okay to indulge once in a while, otherwise life will be miserable.

As for going overboard and then feeling bad afterwards, you could always exercise a bit , or just get over it in general. You may have lost the battle, but not the war. Don't beat yourself up over it or you'll give up entirely and decide to go back to your old eating habits.