Suggestions for White Elephant Gifts

Options
Anyone got a good suggestion for a white elephant gift? I am going to a Christmas party tonight and need to get something. Keep suggestions clean as this party is for Chuch youth leaders but I need something that would be funny.

Thanks.

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I always thought a white elephant gift was one that you took from your house. Something you already have and you give it as a gift...??
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Wine but noticed you wrote Church youth leaders so maybe not. Carrieogg, that's how I've played before too...it was a regift. Something that someone had given you, so its still brand new just something you didn't like or didn't have a use for it. At work, we buy something new and then draw numbers as to who chooses first then the gifts can be stolen but once its taken twice it ends up with the 3rd person.

What about lottery tickets like scratchers? or scarves.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I was going suggest booze, which was always highly coveted at my workplace's White Elephants.... but Starbucks gift cards were pretty popular as well.
  • Beehiveof8
    Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I gave an old canning far full of some dirt and pebbles from our garden. Put a label on it... "Authentic Dirt From __________ ".

Another year I wrapped a big pretty present with a note inside that said "Better Luck Next Time".

I love white elephant gift exchanges! So much fun!

Also, we always do white elephants as gag gifts....
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Anyone got a good suggestion for a white elephant gift? I am going to a Christmas party tonight and need to get something. Keep suggestions clean as this party is for Chuch youth leaders but I need something that would be funny.

Thanks.

A beautifully wrapped, huge purple onion.....
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Batteries with a note: "Gift not Included"
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    My wife took two rather unattractive porcelain figurines that she'd been trying to get rid of for years. :)

In return for our efforts, we came back with an electric hedge trimmer that doesn't have a power cord because the guy cut it in two. :)
  • tlems
    tlems Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I got this last year. I guess you can get them at the hallmark stores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLc9D06yZ2o
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Any gifts that you've been given but not used or something new that you already have is perfect. A frame, puzzle, game, candle...
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    We always have this kind of gift exchange at our Family/Friends Party. It's always at my house & as crazy as I am, I have to make it good.

One year, I found a bowling pin, ceramic cookie jar @ Big Lots. You wouldn't believe how many times that darn cookie jar was passed around. My poor 20 year old nephew ended up with it. I sat there & watched the grimace on his face all night because he ended up with this gift.

When the game finally ended, I stood up & said that since everyone dodged that cookie jar and he ended up with it...told him open up the box & look in cookie jar...I had put a $50 bill in it, which was worth more than any of the bottles of liquor they were fighting over.

Goes to show...you never know!

Everyone just loves that story.
  • jenn_is_trouble
    Options
    Last year, at my husband's work party, someone got a new toilet plunger and some TP. It was really funny because the party was at a Mexican restaurant.... but then again, my sense of humor is REALLY immature.
  • thegirl68
    thegirl68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    someone just gave me a really UGLY pair of christmas socks...something like that could work
  • tlems
    tlems Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Last year, at my husband's work party, someone got a new toilet plunger and some TP. It was really funny because the party was at a Mexican restaurant.... but then again, my sense of humor is REALLY immature.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    A nightie trimmed in feathers!:blushing:
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    A movie gift card that's enough to cover 2 movie tickets. DATE NIGHT! or single movie with candy :D And depending on what the budget is you could add a gift card to a restaurant or pizza place, or starbucks :)
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    we're doing the White Elephant Christmas Gift Exchange tomorrow and it's a little different; we have to purchase something that's around $15 , wrap it, and let the passing begin. LOL
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm going to one tonight as well, I got a 1lb bar of Hershey chocolate and a 1lb pack of Reese's Cup. I know I'm going to a party with chocolate lovers!

I went to one last week and brought a Rubbermaid pitcher and filled it with Kool-Aid packets! There was some fighting for that one!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

lol :laugh:
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Love that idea!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Best Buy had both a Justin Beiber Singing Toothbrush, and an Edward Cullen Twilight Flatiron.

If someone's a fan, it's a great gift. If someone's not, it's great in it's jaw-dropping awfulness!