If I burn over 700 calories I get headache, nausea

Options
I suppose it could be totally unrelated but the last few weeks whenever I burn over 700 I get a horrible headache and feel sick about an hour to two later. I am also trying to drink more water, about 10 glasses a day. Any ideas?

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Do you make sure you eat about 15-30 minutes after you workout? If not, it could be low blood sugar.
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    Hmm not always but today I had some almonds and cashews right after.... and still this headache is brutal!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough?
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    you know what I would do if I were you EAS Soy Protein shakes... it may just be that you aren't consuming enough calories carbs and protein so your body is burning so much it is litteraly eating away at the good and bad you do have (Spell Check) sorry mine isn't working.
  • shortandfeisty
    Options
    Try drinking a Gatorade before your workout. I used to feel that way when I went running but I figured out that if I hydrated really well before, it didn't happen. :o)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    low blood sugar, blood pressure, sinus infection. Speak with your physician and feel better!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If that is all you ate, it really could explain why you have a headache and nausea. What kind of workout do you do? I run, and I always make sure I have something with a healthy balance of carbs and protein to build up my glycolic levels. Also, I get nauseous if I don't eat after I run. I think you need something more than almonds and cashews. Steel cut oats, a PB sandwich. Something that will replenish all that you have lost during your workout.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    u working too hard... perhaps without enough to eat?

if u are, take the intensity down some. Take some breaks. don't go as long..
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough carbohydrates, proteins, and fats in your diet. Drink plenty of water too.
  • stickin2it
    Options
    check ur sodium intake. I was told by dietiician recommendations 2000 mg a day. I never done it that high but my revised diet I was around 1600-1700 and got headaches and lites nausua. I lowered my sodium intake and I am feeling great. I do have B/P with meds its been great until sodium was increased. Consult ur physiian too. gl
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you're sweating a lot and drinking a lot of pure water you might want to look at your electrolyte balance. You need enough salt in your body.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    check ur sodium intake. I was told by dietiician recommendations 2000 mg a day. I never done it that high but my revised diet I was around 1600-1700 and got headaches and lites nausua. I lowered my sodium intake and I am feeling great. I do have B/P with meds its been great until sodium was increased. Consult ur physiian too. gl

If she's sweating heavily during these workouts and drinking a lot of water then she should not lower her sodium, barring any documented physical salt issues.
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not to scare you but what kind of headaches are there, you have primary headaches and secondary headaches as long as your not vomitting, double vision, passing out and ect prolly a primary headache and in which you are just pushing your body to it's limits so just need to refuel while working out get a granola bar and when you get to like 350 cals start eating
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    do you wear a headband while you workout? i used to until i realized that every time i wore it for more than like 30 minutes, my head was killing me.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I would say you likely are not eating enough...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I get terrible lactic acid head aches when I push my hard and build up a lot of lactic acid in my body without cooling down long enough. They're brutal and last for hours. Here's a pretty good article on livestrong: http://www.livestrong.com/article/274066-headaches-the-day-after-physical-activity/
  • ISTAYRIPPED
    Options
    It could be the amount of carbohydrates you are consuming. Most people don't eat enough carbohydrates because they are viewed as the "enemy". A headache and nausea during or post exercise is a definite indicator of low glycogen levels. Nuts won't give you the sugar you need, pre or post workout. Not only that, they take to long to break down. They are good for sustaining energy because of the fat content. When it comes to exercise; aerobic or anaerobic carbohydrates are needed to fuel both! Try fruit/smoothie or a protein shake. Ideally your recovery drink should have a 2:1 ration of carbohydrates to protein.
    If you are on a low carbohydrate diet, you would may want to consider increasing them on days you workout.
    The body is a complex machine, but nobody knows your body better than you. Sometimes you have to listen to it.

Chris
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hmm not always but today I had some almonds and cashews right after.... and still this headache is brutal!

Instead of eating fats after a workout. (which are going to be slow to digest)
    Try drinking some milk or juice. If this is a blood sugar problem (which I believe it is) this will help resolve it quickly.
  • ISTAYRIPPED
    Options
    Chocolate milk is an excellent recovery drink!
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is an excellent recovery drink!

This^^