HRM Test

Options
Awhile back I wore my HRM for 24 hrs to see what it said I burned in comparision to MFP calculations...on an average day w/o exercise and doing desk work all day and class at night, it said I burned 2500 calories...MFP says 1750???

Anyone else try this and get such a large difference?

Replies

• Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    MFP - BMR is if you stay in bed and do nothing.

So I did the same experiment yesterday. I wore my heart rate monitor on a normal, non-exercising day. Started it at 8am and headed to work and wore it until this morning at 8am (full 24 hours) I sit all day at work (mostly) and I did my normal, got my nails done, stopped at the grocery for a couple things (not a full grocery trip) and home. fixed dinner, cleaned up and went to bed. ~ and NO, I won't count that as my exercise. I wanted to see what I burn on a normal day without exercising. This morning I checked my HRM at 8am. 2340 cal burnt. This is what my body needed to just do normal daily tasks along with my heart beating, my kidney functions, my lungs to work. This proves you HAVE TO EAT!!! Don't restrict yourself to 1200 gross calories.....you will starve and fail. Happy eating everyone. Have a fabulous Tuesday!!!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I think it's a right of passage to wear your heart rate monitor for 24 hours to see what you burn but, really, it's not good for that. I did it too and it told me 3500ish calories in 24 hours (with exercise) and just....no. I'm way too lazy for that. :smile:

Someone else will know the science behind it but basically hrms are only good for estimating calories during cardio.

If you want to know what you burn in 24 hours, get a bodybugg. And then give it time to "learn" you.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I think it's a right of passage to wear your heart rate monitor for 24 hours to see what you burn but, really, it's not good for that. I did it too and it told me 3500ish calories in 24 hours (with exercise) and just....no. I'm way too lazy for that. :smile:

Someone else will know the science behind it but basically hrms are only good for estimating calories during cardio.

If you want to know what you burn in 24 hours, get a bodybugg. And then give it time to "learn" you.

Lazy or not your body burns calories just with simple kidney function, heart beating, lung function. so even the BMR is close to what my HRM says and the Bodybugg is just a fancy HRM that food can be input and exercise input and sync with your phone. It doesn't "learn" your body. I'm doing just fine with MFP and my HRM. (which I only wear during true cardio) this whas just to see how close my BMR (bacis metabolic rate not moving out of bed) is on MFP.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to try that but haven't bothered yet. It would be interesting to know the burn during a typical day.
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    My HRM only starts counting cals once my HR is over 100 so I can't try this out :grumble:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Now you've got me curious, Friday is normally my rest day - if I remember to I may just give it a shot!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I would actually disagree that the bodybugg doesn't learn your body considering when I first started wearing it, it overestimated my exercise calories by almost 300 calories a day. This was comparing it against my fitbit and hrm. Once I started logging my mfp calories on the bodybugg website and logging my weekly weight losses or gains, it ended up lowering my calories and was much more in tune with my fitbit (which was more or less already in tune with my hrm for exercise) which is what really got me to start semi consistently losing weight.

It's good the hrm was close for you. It wasn't for me. I do absolutely agree with the rest of your post tho. 1200 calories gross is gonna hurt a person in the long run.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Heartrate Monitors are NOT designed to be accurate for all-day usage. The formulas they use are supposed to be accurate only during specific exercise.

If you want something you can wear all day that is actually *made* to be used that way, check into the BodyBugg and BodyMedia Fit armbands. (BB and BMF are NOT heartrate monitors) They are designed for that purpose, they use different methods for estimating calories other than heartrate.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Heartrate Monitors are NOT designed to be accurate for all-day usage. The formulas they use are supposed to be accurate only during specific exercise.

If you want something you can wear all day that is actually *made* to be used that way, check into the BodyBugg and BodyMedia Fit armbands. (BB and BMF are NOT heartrate monitors) They are designed for that purpose, they use different methods for estimating calories other than heartrate.

^^^^^^^that^^^^^^^^^^^