All or nothing...or in moderation?

Options
I'm an all or nothing kind of person. It's easier for me to totally stay away from anything that is yummy but bad for me than to have them in moderation. I'd like to think this willpower is a strength, but it makes me feel weak because I can't have "just one".

Is anyone else like this?

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Nope, I tell people all the time, especially now that the holiday goodies have shown up, that I generally have to say "no" and not partake due to not having that turn off. So, you are not alone!
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Do you tell an alcoholic that "just one drink will be ok", or do you tell a recovering drug addict that "just one more hit wont hurt you"? Well, food is my addiction. Specifically sweets, pastas, breads...... carbs in general. I love fruits and veggies, I just love cookies more. I am very jealous of those who can have a little and go on about their day, but I cannot. I am a junk junkie and just have to stay away from them.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I used to not be able to stop at 1 or 2 but now I can. I used to be a donut freak :) I loved those things :)
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It's all or nothing for me too. I can't say no after just one.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Im kinda the same but learning to control it. Like for example, if i used to crave maltesers my mum would be like "well just have a few, it won't hurt" but i couldnt have a small bag, i'd have to go all out and have a big bag. Im better now that i count cals tho, i can't rly explain but i do know what u mean
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I go in waves, but there are certain things that are all or none. Peanut butter, for example. I will NEVER keep it in the house because I know one spoonful leads to half the jar. I usually don't keep my trigger foods in the house so if I want something, I have to go out and get it in moderation. Lately I've been visiting Cold Stone quite a bit though, but never more than once a day, LOL.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I used to not be able to stop at 1 or 2 but now I can. I used to be a donut freak :) I loved those things :)

I was sort of the same, but with cookies too...now I might eat half of one and be like that's it.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key but with a few well timed monthly meal binges and a weekly "free day".

LOVE IT!
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    I'm exactly the same way!! However, this has made me be a yo-yo dieter so it's a horrible way to be! IMO.. This time around, I plan on doing everything in moderation.. i'm not totally avoiding fast food, chips, soda, cake,etc. i'm just incorporating it in my daily calories and i'm trying to limit it to once a day, and when i exercise i give myself two treats a day..
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I use to be a all or nothing kinda girl but since this has become a lifestyle for me I can do everything in moderation. But I do allow myself a cheat day every know and then.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Some things for me, moderation. Others, hands off! I am so bad at not being able to stop once I start...
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Moderation sprinkled with lots of working out!!! "Nothing" got me down by 90 pounds in 7 months only to turn around and gain back 60 of it after I burned myself out. This time I've lost the weight in the manner in which I plan to live.
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    I am getting better at having things in moderation. I don't want to completely cut things out of my life so I am learning how to stop. It's hard but I am managing to do it. I just keep reminding myself what my calorie intake will look like if I keep going and it usually helps me stop at one or two.
  • Midnightsun04
    Options
    Once I stop I can't stop! I try and stay away or give half away to someone else.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. When I first started out, I was an 'all or nothing' person, and it wasn't just in terms of food. If I was used to working out for an hour and a half and could only make it to the gym for 30 minutes of my workout routine, I wouldn't go at all. It seemed pointless to me to drive out there, workout for only 30 minutes, and then drive home. (Dumb, I know...) Now I'm more of a moderation girl. I know that in order to sustain this lifestyle I can't deny myself of something for the rest of my life, so I try to enjoy all things in moderation. It does get easier, if it's any help.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Ice-cream is one of those that I struggle with. Right now, I have it in the house. Haven't had any today, but it's one of those things I really have to be careful & mindful with. It really can go either way. I'm not one to polish off a whole container... but I'll go over 1 serving so quickly if I'm not careful. It's just something you have to eat slowly, savor and really enjoy the short time you have with it :-)
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I hope one day I can be a "moderation" person.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am an "everything in moderation" kind of gal and lost 28 pounds that way. However, there are a few foods that I have little to no control over and I generally don't keep those in the house. I love to bake and can control myself around most goodies. Bring oreos into the house though and I must eat them until they are gone. Very hard for me to have just one or two. I love home made mac and cheese and have learned to like a few lighter versions. I can eat one portion and be done with it. Kraft mac and cheese in the box? Gotta eat the whole box. I love ice-cream and eat one half cup light ice-cream every night. Sometimes if I have enough calories left I might eat 3/4 cup. But Ben and Jerry's Rum Raisin? The whole pint in one sitting. And Friendly's Hunka Chunka PB Fudge, the half gallon size? Two sittings. Which is why I haven't bought either of them since I joined here in February.

For me the key is knowing which foods I can control and which foods control me.
  • CraigG75
    CraigG75 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am better off with moderation. A little here and there to help keep it together. No cold turkey for me, might start a binge,
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm saying everything in moderation. I can't just take away everything. If i want something i've learned to eat a little and let it go.