Figuring out my V02 max?

Options
So I was reading up on HRM's and found out that the calorie count isn't all that accurate on mine because it doesn't use my v02 max. However, I've been referenced to a site that calculates calories burned based on your stats as well as the v02 max (http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm) but I'm wondering how I can accurately measure it?

I saw a formula... 15* (max heart rate / min heart rate)

is this accurate? From someone who knows their v02 max, when you plug your numbers in this formula does it come out correct? Or do you really have to go through tests to figure this out.

Replies

• tapp52000
    tapp52000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also use that site to calculate my calorie burn, however I do not know my exact VO2 max. And from what my doctor tells me its very complicated to exactly measure ones VO2 max.

So...what I do is use the average VO2 max for someone in my age/fitness category.

Here is a link that gives the averages....hope it helps. BTW my calorie burn has been WAY more accurate since I started using the brayden site.

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/vo2norms.htm
  • tapp52000
    Options
    As for your formula...I plugged my numbers in a got a VO2 max of 46.23 which is pretty much right on as for what I use. I always use 45 in the brayden formula.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    To get your VO2 max you go to a sports clinic or lab and they strap a big tube to your face and you run on a treadmill. They analyse the air that you've exhaled.
  • tapp52000
    Options
    OK so "complicated" was not the correct word to use...how about expensive and really unessecary unless you happen to be and olmpic athlete or marathon runner...lol
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    thanks for that website!

How do I know exactly what my rating is? I'm definitely no athlete. I do workout videos about 5 times a week and sometimes do the elliptical. However, I cant run for long periods of time to save my life!
  • amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    There are probably a fair number of places that do the VO2-max test (and other related tests at the same time) - the one in Seattle that I am aware of is Seattle Performance Medicine but I suspect there are others near most urban centers. The write-up for what they do from their website is as follows (http://spmedicine.com/athlete-and-team-services/exercise-testing/):
    "SPM houses a $250,000 advanced physiology lab, which includes two high accuracy stationary gas exchange systems and two portable testing systems for field use. We are the only facility in the United States performing swim VO2max tests. Cyclists test on a Racermate Velotron electronically calibrated ergometer. Runners test on a precision calibrated Precor treadmill with ‘footplant technology,’ which simulates outdoor running. Swimmers test in the pool utilizing a snorkel mask apparatus, and rowers test on a Concept II rowing ergometer.

Each test is conducted and interpreted by an experienced Exercise Physiologist with Dr. Cooper’s oversight. Dr. Cooper personally meets with each athlete to discuss the results of VO2max tests, and provide in-depth insight and training recommendations. SPM has conducted over 3000 physiologic tests and offers the most accurate equipment for data acquisition, uses validated protocols and applies sophisticated interpretive skill to each test performed.

A resting metabolic assessment is included with all VO2max tests. Lactate measurements are conducted, along with gas exchange testing for bike and swim tests. Our interpretation provides in-depth analysis and relevant recommendations pertaining to each athlete’s goals."

The test at SPM costs $395 plus tax and takes about 3 hours. I had it done several years ago when I was into heavy duty cycling just because I was curious. Sometime I will go back and see what it is again but the thing I got most value out of understanding was not the VO2-max/kg value (although interesting) but the Rest Metabolic Rate measurements which showed I tended to burn less calories than "average" for someone of my size! It did affect my thinking on the "right" calorie level I should be considering. As pointed out by others, the test and results are truly optional and of value to some folks and probably not to others. As they say, Your Mileage May Vary!
  • jonzo21
    Options
    Wow thanks for that information! I guess the tests can be a little too pricey for me. Also I think they are more for athletes correct? I don't think I'm in any condition for that lol :(
  • amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    BTW, the website http://www.topendsports.com/testing/vo2norms.htm looks pretty good! Thanks to tapp52000 for the link.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    that is a good site, I just don't know if I should count myself as average or below average, any ideas how to measure your overall fitness level?