How few calories is it safe to eat per day?

Options
13»

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you are NOT petite. 5'5" is a perfectly average height for a woman. I'm 5'5" and have a smaller frame, and I weigh 130.

So, a 5'5" 18-year old currently weighing 119 has a maintenance level of 1651 calories (assuming you're sedentary, and before any exercise). IF you felt the need to lose weight, which you probably don't since you're already on the low side of a healthy BMI, you shouldn't be eating below 1400 calories plus your exercise calories.

I think you would probably be better off eating at maintenance and lifting weights though, if you're unhappy with your body at 119. I sincerely doubt losing a few more pounds is going to make things any better, and losing 20 would almost certainly make you look emaciated.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Good for you for coming here looking for advice and an open mind. Please excuse the sharper responses. There are a surprisingly large number of people who use the forums who do have eating disorders and try to justify / promote unhealthy low calorie intake. As you can tell - the wider MFP community tends to jump on this quite quickly.

Agthon just posted some really sensible advice - The only thing I will add is, if you are under eating right now you should increase your calorie intake by a combination of increased portion sizing and healthy 'grazing' - Personally I eat about 50g (a large handful) of dried fruit and nuts a day in addition to meals - this is about 225 Cals. (My reasons are very different - I do a lot of long distance running and for me, food = fuel).

Good luck
  • Manthafl
    Options
    Sounds like you need to gain some muscle tone to achieve the outcome you desire. As a dieter for 20 years (since I middle school), I know all about losing and gaining weight, fitness and what not to do. Speaking of that, I tried some crazy starvation plans and the results were only temporary and set me up for more difficulty later on and more weight to lose. It sounds like you will have little success if you continue to restrict calories, we are built to survive and your body will adapt!

Having worked with many personal trainers as a client I learned that muscle tissue burns calories!!! It is a great technique for anyone who wants to look better because they are noticing flabbiness even when they are near the ideal wight. As a woman you need not worry about bulking up, that is a myth. In order to build muscle you will need to eat more calories that what you are eating currently - from healthy, whole food sources to feed the muscle growth. Smaller meals as already mentioned are important so you don't feel stuffed (you will be eating more than you are accustomed to) and it will help your body recover from the cycle of starvation you are now in, it will learn to release the fat!

When you gain a pound of muscle that will increase your metabolism by 50 calories. So you can actually eat more and the fat melts off. You basically may weight the same (or more) but you will be smaller and firmer. I recommend that you take your body measurements and body composition if you have that equipment ... and stay away from the scale as your measure of success. I like to set out my favorite dress or jeans that are just a little too tight and try them on each week - I can tell it's working when I fit in them more easily!

In terms of your caloric needs, I would start with the basal metabolic rate - the minimum calories you need for proper organ function - and go up from there depending on how active you are each day. Gaining muscle can be as easy as using resistance bands, doing push ups, pull ups, steps ups or can be achieved through resistance classes at gyms or in the weight room!

Samantha - Pro Dieter