Always Hungry

Options
I work about 9 to 10 hours a day sitting here at my desk and i am comstantly hungry. Fruits seem to keep me hungry and i just get a headache. What can i do or eat to help me control my eatting at work? Also i get home late and i am hungry. Should i just go to sleep hungry and assume that after a while of doing this that my head and stomach wont hurt? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Replies

• ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Eating more protein will help you stay fuller longer, drinking water, and it could just be the adjustment of eating smaller portions and your body is adjusting to it. Even though you work long hours, I suggest you do 6 small meals a day because then that is easier to do with working long hours and only getting a few breaks, or a few quick mins to eat something. So whatever your calorie goal is divide that by 6, and aim for that amount of calories in each "meal". The only reason I am suggesting that is because of my hectic work schedule I have of working retail, and it is crazy busy right now with the holidays. It is hard to eat normal when you work those kind of long hours, but I know you can do it. Please feel free to message me with any questions, I'm not an expert at this at all, but I will try to help as much as I can. :)
  • Eve53
    Eve53 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Is it just recently? Or has it been going on for a while? Cause I find that I go through periods where I feel like I could eat everything in the fridge and still be starved, it usually has to do with my emotions or when aunt flo is on her way. Could it be that?
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I bring a ton of food to work and I'm eating constantly, but I manage to stay under 1200 calories because it's mostly light stuff. By the evening I'm not longer getting hungry every 2 hours, so I can just have a small dinner and be good for the night. Maybe that would work for you? Otherwise, plain salad greens are very low-calorie and filling, assuming you don't mind eating them without dressing.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Protein! Nuts, plain greek yogurt. Hot tea works really well for me, you can get some great flavors and they're all 0 calorie! Hot soup works well, too... and veggies you can eat at your desk, like carrot sticks and pepper strips.

Apples, pears, and grapes always make me hungrier too, I feel ya!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Have snacks handy that are texturally pleasing.. crunchy high fiber cereal, etc.. and drink a lot of water with it.. that will serve to give your mouth the satisfaction it needs and fill your stomach at the same time. I also like low fat cheese sticks with turkey pepperoni and blue diamond nut crackers.. it's tasty and the protein keeps you full longer.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I find I have to be careful at work so that I don't eat just so I can stretch my legs and walk to the kitchen! Make sure that you are eating out of hunger and not boredom.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    A couple of questions for you... the first one is - are you eating enough? If you are only eating 1200 cals a day (like lots of people here) that might not be enough food to keep you healthy and satisfied, so you might be better off increasing your cals slightly and see if this has you feeling better.
    The other one is - are you eating because you are hungry or because you are bored or because you associate being at your desk with snacking? (the last one is my problem!).
    I think you need to try out a few different eating strategies, the one that seems to work best for me is to have a pretty big breakfast and lunch, then I'm not hungry inbetween meals and I find that I'm less likely to want to snack.
    I still have a small snack in the morning and a slightly bigger one in the afternoon and try to drink coffee or herbal tea inbetween.