Obsessed with counting calories?

Options
After making a remark about adding up the nutritional values of some homemade soup we were making my girl friend told me that I was obsessed with the whole counting calories and nutrition thing. I just said, "What I am doing is working and I'm actually losing some weight." She didn't respond.

Question: Is checking every single food item that I consume mean that I am obsessed with it? And if I am obsessed with it, is it a bad thing? Just wondering what you guys think.

Replies

• trill0042
    trill0042 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's obsessive. It's doing what you have to do to lose weight.
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way--I think it is a good obsession :-) I was actually at a holiday party last weekend and was tallying the calories of everyone's plates as they walked by me (to myself , not aloud of course)
  • TheAnonGit
    Options
    I don't think it's a bad thing. It's good to be aware of the nutritional value of the foods you're eating. However, you can't let it go too far. I know from firsthand experience that compulsive calorie counting can lead to an eating disorder.
  • eyuson
    Options
    When I'm out for a meal, I start stressin' on how I'm going to track the calories. Otherwise, it's still fun. Then again, I've been on here just a mere 15 days.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing. But I dunno if it's obsessive or not. :S
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    If you (and the people close to you) aren't used to counting calories, you will get a few strange looks and some people will roll their eyes at you and tell you youre getting obsessed. My wife did!

I remember a couple of months ago she made some banana bran muffins (healthy of course.. other than the butter, white flour and sugar :P). I did a quick tally, and said what the cal count was and that I'd pass as I didnt have room for it that night in my allowance. Cue the eye rolling.

In the beginning I would wait until she left the room to scan items and add in my cals, I was quite self conscious about it. After a while it became the norm, pulling out my phone to put my cals in after dinner is now an almost daily occurence. I figure if this is something I'm going to do long term, people are just going to have to get used to it!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a bad thing. It's good to be aware of the nutritional value of the foods you're eating. However, you can't let it go too far. I know from firsthand experience that compulsive calorie counting can lead to an eating disorder.

This.

I've been counting calories for two years, and while I haven't developed an eating disorder, I know counting has turned into something of an obsession for me. I feel lost not knowing the nutritional content of everything I eat. I'm not sure if I'm even in tune with my body anymore, or if I'm just going by the numbers.
  • karenbobaren
    karenbobaren Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think we're all obsessive about counting calories when we're commited to loosing weight. I get the eye rolls all the time, but I'm also getting the results I want so I brush them off.