Strength training

Options
Hello all I have been on for about three months and I have lost 15lbs since I started. Its my first post on this site I was just curious to know as to why when you enter exercise in to the strength training section it does not give a calorie burn amount?

Replies

• carrie564
    carrie564 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think it might be because it will vary so much from person to person- way more than cardio would. But what you can do, is input them there so you can keep records; but then in the cardio section there is a generic 'strength training, weights' you can pick, and just put in about how many minutes you did. It'll at least give you a generic number to put in, to make you feel better. :)
  • sharonhauptman
    Options
    zMaybe because often people pump a set (takes maybe 30 seconds, and then sit on that station doing nothing for 2-3 minutes before they do another set. Just saying.....
  • Chrisandsteph99
    Options
    Put it in ciruit training under cardio.
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Strength Training... not enough of a calorie burn per the MFP database you say... It's going to depend upon the level of muscle mass you carry versus the intensity, frequency and volume of your workouts. I try not to use the 'suggested' caloric burn.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting does not burn many calories, and calorie burn is often not the goal of weight lifting. The strength section is more for recording your lifts so you can see progression. However, you can search "strength training" under cardio to add calories burned.

However, there are SO many variables when it comes to calorie burn with strength training (are you doing weight training or volume training? Circuit? Pyramid? how long do you rest? etc) that it's just not worth recording without a heart rate monitor imo.
  • Fuax75
    Fuax75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I appreciate it.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    keep you rest between sets low, around a minute, call it circuit training under cardio...........heart rate stays up. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn doing EVERYTHING.
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is I don't even record my exercise burn be it lifts, cardio or the like. As long as I hit my macronutrient totals. Because when it reads, you've burned 237 cals doing cardio for 17 mins, how do I really know it's 237? Then I adjust my macros to compensate and end up being underfed or overfed. Just saying...
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you can log it under cardio (strength training) it does burn calories.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting does not burn many calories. . .

It depends on what you're doing though. Today my heart rate was in the 160s-170s all the while I did my strength, that's pretty darn high, I burned over 500calories between that and 15minutes of cardio for a 60minute workout.