Question for runners!

Options
I have been running (if you could call it that, lol) for the past 4 months or so on an almost daily basis. I run outside on a trail. With the weather being as nasty as it is now I had to stop running outside because my trail was covered in snow and ice. So my mother bought me a pass to my towns rec center. I went for the first time yesterday and ran about 2 miles on their indoor track. Today my feet are killing me, specifically my heels. The only thing I can attribute it to is the fact that the running surface is different. I wear Adidas running shoes, but do I need to get some sort of an insert for my shoes? Any advice is appreciated!

thanks!
Tracey

Replies

• BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It might well be the fact that you are running on a hard surface now instead of dirt. It could also be that you are more aware of yourself with the people around and have changed your stride a bit. Next time you go pay attention to HOW you run and see if you are doing it the same as you did on the trail.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    your stride is probably really really different. barefoot style is how you are probably running up those trails. i bet when you run outdoors on trails, you run and you're landing in middle of the foot or the balls of the feet and indoors you are a heel striker.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    surfaces can affect your running.
    Do you have trail shoes as you usually run outdoors? these can be less cushioned and generally harder on the sole to protect your feet from rocks, etc on the trail, but dont have enough cushioning for running on harder surfaces like pavement or track.
    I'd maybe just try a mile and see how that is, then build back up.
    If you are still having problems most running shops will be able to help, either with insoles or more cushioned shoes.
  • brookeg20
    Options
    I would agree that you probably need some different shoes for running inside.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I wear completely different shoes inside than outside.

I could not possibly run outside in my Nike Lunar Glide shoes- I have tried but my feet kill afterwards! On the other hand they are lovely and soft for the treadmill.

For outside I wear a trusted pair of Asics which are a size bigger than my normal shoes so plenty of room for my foot to move around. They are SO comfortable and plenty of tread on them too.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I run mostly on trails too -- it is a softer surface than concrete. I have slowly started incorporating pavement into my running path because every race I will ever run is on a road. I almost couldn't walk for a week after my first race because the impact is so different.

For me, the answer has been 1) watch my stride to make sure I am still mid-foot striking (I am); 2) gradually add in concrete into my runs to build up those muscles to handle it.

You might can try some heel inserts into your shoes if you are a heel-striker on the track, but, I think it is probably better for your body overall to learn to mid-foot strike on the pavement because heel striking sends the shock up your body (think knees, hips, spine)
  • capritto84
    Options
    Agreed with all of the above... Your stride is MOST important... and SHOES SHOES SHOES... and lastly FORM and posture. I know that I HAD A TON of problems before getting the right shoes and I was upset to have to pay that price but I AM VERY SATISFIED NOW. Brooks were my last pair of shoes... Indoor or outdoor.
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I walked yesterday on the same indoor track and this morning I am planning a run. I will pay attention to my stride and if I need to get new shoes...well, I'll jump off that bridge when I get there, lol. I wear a size 12/13 but I have a very narrow foot so I can't buy mens shoes normally. So shoe buying is always a huge pain in the rear.