Is dance vigorous enough?

Options
I have a treadmill.
I'm pretty sure we share a hate love relationship - and I've always found running outside more preferable (I can't do that in the colder months), which is why I want to drop the treadmill and go for something that isn't excruciatingly boring. Though never formally trained, I've always been into dance deriving mainly from the hip hop/breakdance/krump genre. This past year my friend taught me ballet to get my flexibility and balance in check. I have another friend who told me about two weeks ago that she actually gained abs from krumping (which she started off with) and although I've been out of tune with krumping for a few years now, I was thinking that maybe it was a suitable substitute for the treadmill.
Can anyone testify this?
After about five minutes of non-stop freestyle in the hip hop and krumping genre, I get quite tired - breath panting, sweating, etc. Does anyone think it's possible that dancing is a good alternative?
My current diet is no simple carbohydrates, fruits for snacks (apples mostly), high protein, and vegetables as a side for almost every meal I have. Lunch is usually chicken breast and broccoli or spinach. I work at a bar so once or twice during the week I make myself a smoothie with frozen real fruits, ice, water, and (lower than specified) sugar content (1 oz or less of sugar water). I get guilty every time I make myself one because I'm not totally sure if the sugars in it is a good idea, but I assume that smoothies are generally healthy.

Replies

• ohmywonwon
    Options
    Have you thought about trying Zumba? :)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I think it is. For me, the treadmill is no fun so I rarely last longer than 15-20 minutes. When I'm dancing I'm having fun and can easily go for an hour. This alone makes it a better workout. As long as you're hitting the moves hard (which you have to do with hip-hop and krumping anyways) and keep your feet moving the whole time, it should be just as good.

I figure I sweat just as much when dancing as when running, so that says something (not very scientific I know).

Another thing is dance is a whole body workout, and running mostly only works your legs. Your much more likely to strength your core and arms when dancing.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If it weren't for dancing, I would rarely get any cardio.

I love Zumba and Turbo Jam which are both quite dance-y. I took a ball room dance class in college, and while it didn't work up a sweat for me, it was still considered a gym class.

I have heard that belly dancing is great for your abs.

Of course, dancing is a wonderful exercise.
  • Cyanae
    Options
    I think it is. For me, the treadmill is no fun so I rarely last longer than 15-20 minutes. When I'm dancing I'm having fun and can easily go for an hour. This alone makes it a better workout. As long as you're hitting the moves hard (which you have to do with hip-hop and krumping anyways) and keep your feet moving the whole time, it should be just as good.

I figure I sweat just as much when dancing as when running, so that says something (not very scientific I know).

Another thing is dance is a whole body workout, and running mostly only works your legs. Your much more likely to strength your core and arms when dancing.

True! Nice pointers. I don't last very long on the treadmill either and it's an issue of boredom rather than stamina.
    If it weren't for dancing, I would rarely get any cardio.

I love Zumba and Turbo Jam which are both quite dance-y. I took a ball room dance class in college, and while it didn't work up a sweat for me, it was still considered a gym class.

I have heard that belly dancing is great for your abs.

Of course, dancing is a wonderful exercise.

That sounds fantastic. I'll look up Turbo Jam! If you have any online videos, books, or DVDs to recommend, please feel free! =) I don't have much time for classes so something do-able at home would be wonderful.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'll take a beating before languishing on the "dreadmill" - hate it!

I dance though; techno - for an hour @600 calories per hour - not bad.
    It's as intense as you make it - just like any piece of cardio equipment.

I also do a 3/1 boxing circuit - work the bag, shadow box, jump rope -- 3/1 [3 minutes on - 1 minute walking around]
    That's 700 calories per hour!
    And in the warm weather, I play tennis, bike, swim and jog - all the things I enjoy.

I need that; I just won't exercise if it's not fun.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is one you stick with. And you can out eat any exercise plan.

I used to dance pretty seriously- dance classes for hours each day after school, had pointe shoes,, the whole shebang but I was still fat ahaha. It really is good exercise, but I was eating too much.

If you want to get super toned, dance is probably not the most efficient way to get there- lifting weights is. But it is great cardio and will get you quite a bit stronger and more flexible as well.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If it's anything like the movie Dirty Dancing, then yes.
  • Cyanae
    Options
    Wow, that boxing circuit sounds pretty intense! I do vigorous jump rope occasionally but I never thought about applying interval training. Alright, so I should do Turbo Jam, Zumba, and weight training? I've been told that Pilates and Yoga are great too. I have a membership to the YMCA but I rarely ever go - they have Boxfit classes, are those any good?