Help Eating Healthy in Raleigh NC

Options
I'm hoping some of you guys might be able to help me I just found out this morning that I will be heading out to Raleigh NC in the middle of January for work (I live in the UK) and need some help in keeping to my new healthy eating regime :smile:

I really love southern food but I also need to not have to fly home cargo :laugh:

So any tips on where to eat locally would be really appreciated , places that have good healthy options or where I can get info on the internet before I go out so I can plan ahead.

I think I may also be self catering while I am there which will help so where are the best stores to shop for healthy foods ? I never had to food shop in the US before so it will all be a bit new to me.

Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I live about 25 miles from Raleigh in Chapel Hill. You are going to do great! There are many healthy options in this area. Do you know which part of Raleigh you'll be staying at? Are you going to have a car while you are here? I'd hate to suggest something that you end up being really far away from. If you are staying at a hotel, you may be able to search the area attractions and complete some planning that way. Two grocery stores known for being healthy/organic in this area are Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Harris Teeter also has a great selection of products. I am familiar with the "chain restaurants" but there are so many local restaurants in the area, I can't keep up with them all. My coworker lives in Raleigh and managed to lose a ton of weight, and she does not cook at all! She is off until next week, but I will ask her more specifically about some restaurants she eats at and post next week. I know there are many people closer to Raleigh on this site, you should be able to get many suggestions by the time you come here!
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    Fantatsic thanks so much for your reply I should have access to a car while I am there and although at the moment I am not sure where I will be staying I will hazzard a guess it will be at Briar Creek.

I am so glad to hear all my good intentions won't have to be left at the airport ! I love coming to Raleigh I have been a few times now but each time I end up going home with extra pounds because the food is so good :-)

I am going to let myself have one treat meal out though as it will be my birthday while I am there but there rest of the time I shall do my best to stay good.

Chapel Hill is lovely I went there last time I was over , I think NC is one of the places I have been to in the US where I would quite like to live :smile:
  • DynamicDiva
    DynamicDiva Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous response. Briar Creek is close to Garner too--all in Raleigh and there are a variety of things that you can eat besides southern food. You may have to google restaurants to look for places that have the type of food you like to eat--but NC is known for having way too many restaurants, so you should be fine.
  • surgesilk
    Options
    If you like salads...there is a restaurant (chain?) Sweet Tomatoes...there is an excellent middle eastern place Sitti...which also has a more casual Neo Monde as well.
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    If you like salads...there is a restaurant (chain?) Sweet Tomatoes...there is an excellent middle eastern place Sitti...which also has a more casual Neo Monde as well.

Thanks so much for the info I love middle eastern food and salads so I shall try those out for sure :smile:

I have also been recommended to pay a visit to The Pit in Raleigh town to try proper BBQ so I think I shall make that my treat dinner for my birthday as looking at the menu on line it looks really yummy I shall just have to make sure and scale back on the rest of the day so I don't do too much damage :laugh:
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    OK...so here is what you did not want to hear~ If you are coming to the Raleigh area and like Southern food, you absolutely, positively CANNOT miss a trip to Mama Dip's in Chapel Hill! Banana Pudding is divine : )

But for healthy food, there is a Jason's Deli in the Briar Creek area. Fabulous salad bar as well as delicious food!