Christmas strategies!

Options
Does every one have a strategy for Christmas?

Mine are:
- Family meals - Eat everything - but no second helpings of deserts or stodgy carbs (veggies and lean meat are OK)
- Drink in moderation
- Throw/give away excess chocolate/cakes etc after boxing day - if I have it in the cupboard I will eat it instead of something healthy.
- Do my 14 mile running club Xmas eve run (followed by coffee & mince pies - I doubt very much this will put me net over cals!!!)
- Enjoy myself - worst case I can loose a few LB in the new year.

(Note - I'm on maintenance but I don't think that would affect anything)

Also - post your healthy Xmas food alternatives here!

Replies

• Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Mine are:
    - Family meals - Eat everything - but no second helpings of deserts or stodgy carbs (veggies and lean meat are OK)
    - Drink in moderation
    - Throw/give away excess chocolate/cakes etc after boxing day - if I have it in the cupboard I will eat it instead of something healthy.
    - Do my 14 mile running club Xmas eve run (followed by coffee & mince pies - I doubt very much this will put me net over cals!!!)

Mine probably isn't the best if you are going to be very good but mine is have anything i want christmas eve, day and boxing day then be good with exercise and stricter up until New Years Eve then enjoy myself and back to it New Years Day

xxxxx
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    -No Baileys!
    -Watch portion sizes
    -Eat only 3 meals a day and 2 snacks like I would usually, no all day grazing
    -Drink plenty of water
    -Fill up on veg
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Quality over quantity. For example, save it for Hotel Chocolat and don't touch the Quality Street.

Avoiding seconds and maintaining some degree of portion control as well, but if I focus on protein I should be ok, i don't want to lose any more weight and it won't hurt for me to put on a pound or three.

Edit: oh yes, and I'm taking my yoga mat to my in-laws, if I can do 30 mins of Ashtanga every other day I'll be happy.
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Keeping up with the exercise is key for me. I'll be taking Christmas Day off, but exercising every other day as normal. This will not be easy when the rest of my family will undoubtedly still be in bed!

Food-wise I'm going to eat whatever I want on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I'm hoping to keep it reasonably under control the rest of the time.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'll be trying to eat "normally" i.e. 3 meals, two snacks for the majority of the time but on Xmas Day and Boxing Day I'll be eating what I fancy. On Xmas day we usually have a big cooked breakfast at about 11am and that keeps us going until the Xmas Dinner at around 4pm - maybe with a wee snack of crisps and dips in between lol! And then of course there is the wine...........must control this! In terms of exercise this coming week will be a bit tricky as my husband is working late shifts and the schools break up but I should make it to the gym on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and that will be it until 27th Dec and there are no excuses after that until my Birthday on 5th Jan.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Good point.. If my folks are staying Christmas day I better get in something for boxing day breakfast!
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    i will try and control portion sizes, and only have my meals and snacks and not graze all day

make sure i drink lots of water - and try and get in 30 - 60 mins walking or exercise each day

its gonna be hard i think!

but for me def just make sensible descions as to if i am hungy or not!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    From my perspective x-mas day is a food orgy - no rules - no logging in - just eat, enjoy and spend the next 4 days recovering.

At the start of the holiday season I resolved NOT to gain fat - in fact, I am losing weight.
    But on holidays like thanksgiving, x-mas, easter and labor day - forget it!

No rules for 8 hours.....
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some great Christmas strategizing going on around here. Our Christmas will be low key this year, which is great. I'm not planning to break routine. We are going out for a nice dinner on Christmas Eve, and I will have dessert that night (already decided) and likely exceed my daily calorie allotment, but I'm not breaking my exercise routine, etc. I know that I will receive some annual holiday fudge - my plan is to individually wrap and freeze it to avoid trying to eat it as fast as I can, as I have done in prior years. I guess the bottom line is - I've worked hard to get where I am and I'm no longer going to let holiday foods control me, etc. Best wishes to all! :flowerforyou:
  • Staceydoodles
    Options
    I didn't really have a plan, in fact I've somewhat given up now we're midway through Dec, its just too hard! I'm trying to keep on a level.
    But I'll be eating everything in moderation, and I love the suggestion of not having sugary or starchy seconds! Xx
  • racerZ28
    Options
    I'm pretty nervous about how to survive it without starting the normal landslide of getting off track. I'm planning to lead some activities to keep me out of the kitchen, and avoid the food in general....focusing on enjoying the time with family & friends instead. We have a work luncheon today, Christmas at inlaws tomorrow.....treat day every day at work next week, and then two Christmas Eve parties.........I'm going to have to really work to dodge all those bullets!

I have lots of high protein bars on hand as snacks, go to the functions FULL, and take some "healthy" options along in a cooler to give me something to eat on if nothing else is available at the get togethers. NO alcohol...not even a glass....if I can survive a week in Las Vegas with only 1 baileys, I can make it through this week. :)
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    well im close to goal so not too bothered. One day isnt going to ruin all my hard work.
    I agree with Bobby ! just eat whatever and not care
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of salad at non-family meals
    protein shake for breakfasts
    Only one serving of everything
    Allowing myself to eat 1 slice of my favorite desert
    Walk, walk, walk (I won't have access to a gym since I'm going out of town)
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Mine are:
    - Drink in moderation

Mine, simple, a normal day of food.
    I don't do cheat days, I don't make exceptions to holidays, I stay focused.

Why ruin all the hard work for a few sweets and stuff? Then have to re-do the running, the lifting & everything else.

There's no point of that to me.

I do eat one serving of a sweet at holidays, but I don't have anything the week before or after that's sweet aside from dark chocolate pieces twice a week.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Mackeric

I respect your dedication, but my goal is 'Happy and Healthy' - and that includes enjoying Christmas dinner with my family.

For me, its more important that I stay in control of what I do than the actual net calories across a few days. Its picking at food without thinking, combined with a sedentary lifestyle which caused me to gain weight in the first place. I will not go back to either of these things.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Lets see here... My plan is.

Eat, drink and Be merry.

Not like I restrict myself normally anyway food wise.. alcohol I do though.
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Eat my favorite foods - but in moderation. Taking walks. Having a good time with family!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm going to attempt to destroy my 5k+ calorie effort on Thanksgiving. I will brag about it on MFP, I won't log a damn thing, and I won't exercise unless you count getting in and out of bed. And no, I'm not joking.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm going to attempt to destroy my 5k+ calorie effort on Thanksgiving. I will brag about it on MFP, I won't log a damn thing, and I won't exercise unless you count getting in and out of bed. And no, I'm not joking.

Here Here! I'll toast and Drink to that.... :-)
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    To Start
    Crusty Italian Semolina Dinner Rolls
    with our Herbed Olive Oil for Dipping

Appetizer
    Puff Pastry Stuffed with Mild Italian Sausage, Parmesan Cheese, Fresh Parsley,
    Breadcrumb and Baked

Salad
    Fresh Greens with Grilled Pear, Spicy Roasted Pecans, Stilton Bleu Cheese Crumbles
    and our Fresh House Vinaigrette

Entree
    Roasted Prime Rib Encrusted with Pink and Green Peppercorns and Served with a Cabernet Pan Sauce

Vegetable
    Steamed Asparagus with a Touch of Butter,
    Salt and Pepper

Starch
    Thinly Sliced Scalloped Potatoes Baked with Cream,
    Asiago Cheese and Fresh Sage

Dessert
    Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Whipped Cream
    and Shaved Chocolate

and a decent Cabernet. :wink: