Dumb Question Alert

Options
Sorry for asking such a dumb question but given that I never really got taught what you can eat Raw and what you should cook I thought this would be a good place to start.

Trying to think of things I can eat for lunch that I can pick up at Sainsbury's and then stick in a bowl with some microwaved pasta/rice.

So....

Can you eat Salmon and Tuna fresh out of a can or are you supposed to cook it in some way?

See I told you it was a dumn question but I have never been told and it does not actually say anything on the tin.

Also, Given that I can grab a pack of whole grain rice or Pasta that can be microwaved and have limited kitchen space in the ofiice what other meats can I throw in the mix.

I already buy the pre-cooked turkey,chicken etc and micro is or some cold ham and throw it in with some onions and sweetcorn.

Just looking to change things around that are nice :o)

Replies

• sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    hmmm well you can eat tuna straight from the can. I'm not sure about salmon, I have never used that, but I think it's probably the same. I would say buy a bag of frozen veggies to throw in your rice. Just use what you like to eat. The up side of frozen veggies is that they are already cleaned and chopped so it would be more convienent for you at work. Good luck!
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    oh you are going to have so much fun. I learn every day what goes with what and what needs cooking and it's not dumb cos some meats for example do need cooking, pancetta and some are cooked and ready to eat proscuitto. How was I supposed to know that (groans with belly ache!)

Anything tinned will have usually been prepared before hand so can be eaten, stuff like soup etc needs heating up. Watch out for tinned goods cos they contain a lot of salt to preserve the stuff.
    The best thing I have found recently is cous cous. Just pop some hot water in and leave for five minutes, it's better than rice and easy to make, shove some spices in there and yum yum, a dish.

Meat will usually have need to cook, or ready to eat.

Packets will have directions but tinned goods, unless they have directions for cooking are pretty safe to eat as they come.

Good luck and have fun experimenting!
    :happy:
  • newbeetler
    newbeetler Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This board needs a thanks button :o)

Just tried some mixed Veg, Pasta and Salmon.

I was ok but the Mixed Veg was seriously blanned :(

Like the idea of Cous Cous. Need to remember some of that next week.

A colleague bought a huge Jar of Ainsley Harriots stuff but think I will start off with a smaller jar.

The beauty is to get to Sainsbury and back in my lunch hour I need to walk 2 miles and still have enough time to cook and eat.

so I get some exercise as well burning off the calories I am about to eat :o)

Currently doing 2 miles + shopping for food in 40 minutes. Leave 20 minutes to nuke and scoff. :o)
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Ainsley Harriott is goooooooooood!!!! takes five minutes, low calorie and with prawns or chicken. easy low cal meal. Remember with prawns if they are purpley... not cooked. pink.... cooked!
    chicken pink.... not cooked. chicken white ... cooked. chicken black..... f**ked!!
  • adlwilmot
    Options
    Hmmmm..... off the top of my head, I think that the rule of thumb is that you can eat everything raw except meat. In the meat department you then have the exceptions that some are for eating raw such as the already mentioned parma/serrano ham (which are actually cured meats), etc, but if you stick to the rule that if it's in the fresh meat or fish section, that you have to cook it, you'll be fine. Any meats found in the "cold meats" department will have been cooked.

Everything else, well I'm sure you'll figure out for yourself; rice, pasta, potato: raw = yuk!

I'm 99% sure that all tinned items can be eating straight from the can.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If it comes in a tin you can eat it out of the tin. You can heat it if you want.

If it is preserved meat like ham that comes sealed in plastic, so that it is hard to open, you can eat it out of the plastic, heat if you want.

If you have opened it, tin or plastic, refrigerate it and eat it within, ooh, I would say 7 days. Highly preserved meats like chorizo or salami can probably go a week and half.
  • newbeetler
    newbeetler Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all :o)

I need to start cooking more as I used to cook a lot at home and could bring that stuff into the office.

Just out of the habit and been walking to the supermarket and not knowing what to buy when I get there lol.

Was looking at the recipe board earlier and there are some great things on there :o)