Non-gym exercising

Options
I use my university's gym and it's going to be closed for the holiday break. I plan on exercising outdoors, like jogging or walking. I burn more calories on the elliptical than I do jogging for the same amount of time. I get REALLY hungry after burning 600+ calories.

My questions are: (1) If I burn less calories jogging, will I be less hungry afterwards and less likely to eat more? (2) What are some good "non-gym" exercises? Thanks!

Replies

• PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    calisthenics e.g. push-ups, jumping jacks, lunges, body weight squats etc
  • kydogwalker
    kydogwalker Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the hunger issue, so can't speak to it. Besides jogging/walking, I try to either begin or end my day with a 30-45 minute routine of pilates/yoga combination. It feels really good and I can tell the difference. We just got a balance ball too and I plan to combine that with the other stuff I do.
  • gailashton
    Options
    I set up some circuits at home, i.e. ball squats - push ups - bicycles - jumping jacks - all for 90 seconds with no stopping in between - running in place -triceps push ups - abs on the ball - biceps curls - Do this for an hour burns like 600+ calories if you don't stop in between. Rest for a minute in between each cycle. Just an idea, but it works! Good luck
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the hungry question?

But, for the non-gym exercises, there are lots!

Yoga! There are some great books & DVDs. You may not burn as many calories but you will feel awesome when you are done.

Body weight exercises - Think push-ups & sit-ups but with a wider variety. For some great ideas check out Bodyrock.tv . The routines may be demanding but what I have done in the past is to try just one or two of her exercises at a time.

And, depending on the weather & climate where you live - cycling. I love cycling and it provides a great calorie burn. Sadly, we are getting into winter weather here in Quebec so I have had to put my bike away until spring. :-(

Hope you find something to take up the slack and have some fun at the same time!
  • Queenbee412
    Options
    Rent a couple of workout DVDs :)
  • veganMomto7
    veganMomto7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try eating a small orange or banana before you workout. It gives you the energy you need to get through the workout so you will not feel like your starving to death when you are done. Never do a workout when you are fasting( Skipping meals like breakfast) because you are more than likely to binge afterwards and justify it because you worked out. Exercising to eat instead of eating for fuel....does that make sense? Enjoy your workout and really enjoy your food but remember food is fuel. Gas is fuel for your car...fill it and it goes, let it run out and it does not.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If you have an iphone there are some great apps that will give you a good cardio workout and get you really sweating and burning those calories. There's a collection of them one called cardio, one called arm workout, one called abs and a few more and they're actually really good.

In terms of the hunger be sure you're fuelling yourself with enough quality calories during the day before your workout. Make sure you also plan in a post work out fuelling - good carbs and protein :wink:
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    tae bo is all you need to do and you will never be hungry and loose a ton of weight
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    calisthenics e.g. push-ups, jumping jacks, lunges, body weight squats etc

^^ This
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    same. I do a circuit of jogging, squats, jump shots, and various bits iv seen in p90x workouts and burn 100cals in 10 mins each time. No stopping just pushing through each set
  • mzkynd
    mzkynd Posts: 63
    Options
    tae bo is all you need to do and you will never be hungry and loose a ton of weight

tae-bo rocks!!
    I still have a VHS tape of a 15 min quick tae0bo workout and I love it. Is a very powerful workout in a small package.
    Went and got one of the newer taebo DVD workout and couldn't keep up, have hunted high and low to find the one I am used
    to on DVD no luck.

Walk away the pounds DVD's awesome for when you can't get outside.

exercise bands, jump rope, balance ball, crunches, push ups all good :)