I need tips! How to hold back at Holiday Parties?!?

Options
There are so much temptation right now with holiday happy hours, dinnes, and parties. How do you keep your self in control? I am not saying I am going to be super strict... I just want to leave the party knowing that I did not over do it.
Any advice? Any rules you follow??

Also, I am looking for friends to help me keep on track. Add me please! I will happily accept!

Replies

• meganmorsey
    Options
    One of the things I do is make sure I eat a healthy snack or light meal before I go to any party. I don't want to be super hungry when I get there! When I'm at the party, I stay away from the food area because if its near me, I'll want to eat it. I make a plate of food with a small amount of only the stuff I want the most.

My problem is limiting my wine consumption! I have a party tomorrow and I swear I'm only have one glass and then water!
  • waverlyroxane
    Options
    Hi! For the first time I feel like I have worthwhile dieting advice! I realize that I can satisfy my cravings for sweets with a "cookie" recipe that is super healthy. The other thing I do is eat crunchy things, especially for healthy snacks. I like apple cinnamon rice cakes with almond butter or peanut butter, almonds, etc. I am also satisfied by dried apricots (just a few). So, I guess my strategy is to substitute rather than cut myself off. I am trying for a low carb, high protein, high fiber and nutrient rich diet. Oh, and for gatherings, I would suggest filling up on water and healthy snacks or a meal before going (maybe take a couple).
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Don't eat food you don't love. The last holiday party I went to had eclairs, mini cupcakes and brownies. Well, I can make cupcakes and brownies anytime I want, so I skipped them. Eclairs are special, so I had one for dessert.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Eat something before you go that way you're not starving.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I had our work holiday party last night. We ate before we went. I had a turkey burger and some fries which I counted, leaving myself about 500 calories to play with at the party. I don't drink so alcohol isn't a factor for me. I thought about getting appetizers but I wasn't hungry. i said as such to my bf, he said "If you're not hungry, then why would eat just to taste the food?". It was a good point and so I didn't eat. i always stayed away from the buffett table, knowing that if I went over I would eat.
  • meganmorsey
    Options
    Don't eat food you don't love. The last holiday party I went to had eclairs, mini cupcakes and brownies. Well, I can make cupcakes and brownies anytime I want, so I skipped them. Eclairs are special, so I had one for dessert.

I love this advice! Don't eat something that you can have whenever. Save your calories for special things that you don't every have.
  • trentnivins
    trentnivins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    As a very wise green alien once said...
    (Do or do not there is no try)
  • TNDamisi
    TNDamisi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This year, at the office party I made sure the majority of my plate was veggies and did little bits of the stuff I liked (meat/cheese tray, cakes, bourbon balls, etc). I snacked slowly on the veggies - which i like anyway, so it wasn't exactly a hardship - and the rest was just a nice accompaniment. I found that with all the veggies, I didn't really want to gorge myself on the rest of the goodies, just sample. The only thing that sucked was the couple of snide comments I got about eating off the veggie tray, but I ignored them.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    partake in all courses. Avoid what you know you won't like or don't think is special.
  • threeforagirl
    Options

Very good advice!

I'm definitely in this same thought process. I also just plan ahead, usually I know what my family is going to have (they bring the same thing every year it seems) and I just decide what it is I really want. Then I have enough to satisfy my cravings and move on. I also will exercise so I have "wiggle" room.

But, like today, I am sure I may go a little over my goal, but as long as I am still burning more than I am eating I will not worry myself to death. I am eating so well 99% of the time, that a small "slip" is not something that I should fret over... rather, I should enjoy the time with my family and friends and HAVE FUN. :)
  • Lauren_Whitney
    Lauren_Whitney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I try to eat lightly for breakfast and lunch, and usually these events have fresh fruit and veggie platters so I eat a lot of that. Broccoli is very filling so I eat a lot of it Then, once I am close to full, I sample the other foods. Be careful of the dips that go with the fruit and veggies though!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Pretend the food was made by someone with stomach flu, their germs are all over it, but they didn't want to admit to it and didn't want the food to go to waste so they are trying to feed it to you.:grumble:

But seriously, don't hang out by the food table, try to keep a diet drink or tea or water in your hand at all times. Eat before you go. and when you do eat something at the party, make sure it is something you love and can't just get any old time. You Aunt Ethel's special home made pie, sure have some, store bought pie, skip it.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Priorities
    1. Exercise before the party. and do not eat ANYTHING that is not totally healthy and you can verify that its healthy
    2. If you can't do 1 then - Limit your self to 1- 3 items and only eating half of each very slowly enjoy the flavor and toss the rest.
    3. gorge yourself crazy knowing you are setting your self back a week minimum. if you are okay with that .. then its all you!.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Get a light drink right off the bat and then keep your back to the food tables!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,979 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for gatherings, I would suggest filling up on water and healthy snacks or a meal before going (maybe take a couple).

This never worked for me. I would eat a healthy meal before the party and then pig-out at the party. I suggest planning ahead and including the "bad" food in your daily calorie #. I also try to exercise more to make up for the excess calories.
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you have the option to bring a dish, do. And make something delicious that you know you won't feel guilty about eating. I found some great recipes on www.skinnytaste.com & I'm bringing cupcakes to one party so that I can indulge in a dessert that I won't feel guilty about. If you do feel the need to sample things, get a little bit first & if you don't like it, don't finish it. It's just not worth it, of course, you'll need to be discreet on this one so you don't insult people, but every calorie should feel "worth it."
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    eat a small spoonful of each thing. throw away the rest - no one will know or care. take only what you think you'll actually enjoy. if there are veggies, get plenty of those.