fingures went numb when I was workingout..

Options
2»

Replies

• thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Certain lifts make my hands go numb - usually stuff like overhead squats. I've talked to my coaches about this, and they said it happens for a fair number of people. In terms of the lifting world, it seems to be a mobility issue. This actually seems a bit odd for me because in general I have great mobility, but I'm just going to keep working on it :)

I know it's not an elliptical (I don't use one so I have no clue if that would make me hands numb) so it might not totally apply but thought I'd share!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The internet is full of non-phd doctors lol.

Essentially if you are experiencing numbness, that is a circulatory issue. It could be benign, such as gripping the handles too tightly. For me on an eliptical my feet go to sleep after 30 minutes because I have duck feet that point out and the eliptical forces my feet in and it cuts the blood flow a little bit.

More than likely it is a minor issue. If you cannot identify it, you should talk to your doctor.

I know a lot of people who have circulation issues wind up experiencing numbness. I tend to rest my arms on my elbows a LOT and so my fingers tend to go numb from me cutting off the blood supply. lol. If you are worried though I agree, go see a doctor.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You should truly see your doctor because it could be simple or it could be serious.

I was having the same issue - fingertips going numb after working out. They would actually turn white. I went to my doctor, and she said that I had so much tension and stress knots in my neck, it was causing my vertebrae to shift and pinch off the nerves. I went for a couple of trigger point massages and took muscles relaxers for a while, and I have also become more aware of how I am holding my head and shoulders when I exercise. My numbness has improved greatly.

Please go see your doctor!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The internet is full of non-phd doctors lol.

Essentially if you are experiencing numbness, that is a circulatory issue. It could be benign, such as gripping the handles too tightly. For me on an eliptical my feet go to sleep after 30 minutes because I have duck feet that point out and the eliptical forces my feet in and it cuts the blood flow a little bit.

More than likely it is a minor issue. If you cannot identify it, you should talk to your doctor.

No to be pedantic (but I'm going to be anyway), physicians have an M.D. (Medicinae Doctor) or a D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine), in some countries the names for the degrees are slightly different, but they are not Ph.D.s. A Ph.D. is a doctorate of philosophy, and is given in a variety of disciplines that involve research of some variety, from English to Physics. There are a variety of other types of doctorates as well (D.M.D, J.D., Ed.D., Psy.D., Sci.D., etc.)--most of which in no way pertain to medicine.

A variety of medical problems can cause numbness (not just circulatory problems), I wouldn't panic, but if it keeps happening, definitely talk to your doctor.