Nook vs Kindle

Options
hperowl
hperowl Posts: 234 Member
For Christmas this year I really want an e-reader but which one, the Kindle Fire or the new Nook Color? Everything I've read has me leaning toward the Nook Color, but since I'm techno challenged, I really don't understand all of the techno jargon that I'm reading. Also, my hubby is wondering what the big deal is about the new e-readers, why not just get a laptop? Any suggestions or comments about what you love/hate about your e-reader would be appreciated!:bigsmile:

Replies

• BenderFitness
    Options
    I am getting the Kindle Fire for Christmas. To be honest I think both are very comperable. My main reason for going with the Kindle is that I shop on Amazon all the time, and my grocery store offers fuel perks when I buy amazon gift cards from there.

Previously I was reading on an older version of the Nook.

As far as why they are better for reading than a laptop, they have special glare protection, they are smaller and easier to carry places (like the beach). Honestly the newer ones function more like mini computers anyway because they have wifi, etc. They are also far cheaper than computers.

Good luck, and enjoy whichever one you go with.
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I bought a Nook color last Christmas, and let me tell you, I've certainly gotten my moneys' worth out of it. I love it. I like having a big fat novel that will actually fit in my purse. :) And you can just get a laptop, but you would have to have whatever software/apps/whatnot to read books online. The Kindle and Nook are made for just that -- reading. I can play apps on my Nook, which is okay, but it's not what I bought it for. I guess it just depends on what you're looking to get out of it. If I wanted something I could toodle around the internet and read on, I'd probably have gotten an iPad, but I'm too cheap. ;) I think the Kindle Fire or the new Nook color functions more like a tablet with an e-book reader. If I'd have waited, I'd have gone for either of those this year. As for which one is better than the other? I think they're both pretty comparable. I just liked the Nook color better.

ETA -- whichever one you get, you'll enjoy regardless. :)