How much protein per day????

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    Can we agree that as babies, we need protein the most? The protein in mother's milk is about 5%. If you are planning on being a body builder, then you need more than most. If you want to be "normal," eating natural foods like potatoes will have enough protein.
    So you're recommending that as adults, we need less than 5% protein? No, I don't think we can agree to that.

I am saying that we don't need more than 5%, unless you are body building or if you have other special reasons.

Babies that are exclusively breastfed also take in an average of 500 calories per day, I think we can agree that an adult human body needs significantly more than that for sustained health whether they are bodybuilding or not. And babies are not, you know, propelling their bodies around all day long. The wriggle and roll over at best.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Can we agree that as babies, we need protein the most? The protein in mother's milk is about 5%. If you are planning on being a body builder, then you need more than most. If you want to be "normal," eating natural foods like potatoes will have enough protein.
    So you're recommending that as adults, we need less than 5% protein? No, I don't think we can agree to that.

I am saying that we don't need more than 5%, unless you are body building or if you have other special reasons.

Babies that are exclusively breastfed also take in an average of 500 calories per day, I think we can agree that an adult human body needs significantly more than that for sustained health whether they are bodybuilding or not. And babies are not, you know, propelling their bodies around all day long. The wriggle and roll over at best.

I don't know any of my friends who propel their bodies all day long. I mention babies as an example because they need protein for a growing body, the most important period of our lives. As adults, our protein requirements vary, this is why I said "normal." Normally, I don't want to gain muscle mass to be a body builder, but I know a lot here do body build, they have their own requirements. Some adults just want to do cardio and not lose muscle, the OP didn't mention her requirements. So, depending on where you are coming from, you are going to state your own protein requirements. So the wriggle and roll example is not completely accurate as you don't mention their other requirement, which is to grow to become children then to adults.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member

I don't know any of my friends who propel their bodies all day long. I mention babies as an example because they need protein for a growing body, the most important period of our lives. As adults, our protein requirements vary, this is why I said "normal." Normally, I don't want to gain muscle mass to be a body builder, but I know a lot here do body build, they have their own requirements. Some adults just want want cardio and not lose muscle, the OP didn't mention her requirements. So, depending on where you are coming from, you are going to state your own protein requirements. So the wriggle and roll example is not completely accurate as you don't mention their other requirement, which is to grow to become children then to adults.

Your friends don't walk in order to get from place to place? Even a person in a wheel chair who can't walk generally uses their arm muscles to propel the chair forward. I'm just saying you can't compare a baby's needs to an adult who's body does much more physical work in a standard day, not even accounting for added exercise.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    1g/lb/day for building muscle works for me. It works out to about 35% of daily Calories. If muscle building is not your goal, 15% (MFP default) is probably adequate to prevent muscle loss during fat loss.

Warning: excess protein can be a problem for those with liver or kidney disease.

I would suggest a minimum of 20-30% for retaining muscle as you lose weight as a minimum, as 20-25% of your reduced calorie diet would be close to 15% of maintenance calorie protein. And 1 gram/lb of lean mass is what is normally suggested, but 0.8 to 1.0 is more than enough when bulking.

In contrast to the responder, I would say it is actually more important to get more protein when cutting weight in order to retain muscle mass, as a % of total calories, then it is when bulking.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    I weigh 190 (10% BF) and I aim for 1.5 -1.75 grams per lb of lean bodymass per day.
    Granted, I am also insane.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Okay, based on both of my nutrition certifications and all of the classes I've taken for my nutrition minor in college (which was basically the RD program without the internship to get the RD), protein requirements are set in grams per kilogram of body weight, not pounds. Anywhere you see pounds, it has been converted from what the research has shown and may or may not be an accurate conversion. For example, the standard recommendation is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. If you divide 0.8 by the conversion factor of 2.2046 to get pounds, you get the 0.36 grams per pound recommended above. But if you divide the 2 grams per kilogram of body weight for body builders or extreme endurance athletes by the 2.2046 conversion factor, then you get 0.9 grams per pound, not the 1 gram per pound popularly quoted. In fact, if you carry it out even further, and divide the 2.4 grams per kilogram that has been shown to damage the kidneys of some study participants by the 2.2046 conversion factor, then you get 1.09 grams per pound. Since that is a max limit, I would worry about someone trying to hit 1 gram per pound of body weight because they are potentially risking their kidneys if they are prone to kidney issues. So, stick with the standard recommendation of 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight unless you are an athlete (standard exercise programs don't qualify) or suffer from a disease that causes you to need to increase (IE: Cancer) or decrease (IE: Kidney issues, including stones) your protein intake.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    1.1.5grams per lb on average. I recommend 1 gram per lb for the standard. If you are trying to build some good mass I say 1.5 or more.
  • taem

I don't know any of my friends who propel their bodies all day long. I mention babies as an example because they need protein for a growing body, the most important period of our lives. As adults, our protein requirements vary, this is why I said "normal." Normally, I don't want to gain muscle mass to be a body builder, but I know a lot here do body build, they have their own requirements. Some adults just want want cardio and not lose muscle, the OP didn't mention her requirements. So, depending on where you are coming from, you are going to state your own protein requirements. So the wriggle and roll example is not completely accurate as you don't mention their other requirement, which is to grow to become children then to adults.

Your friends don't walk in order to get from place to place? Even a person in a wheel chair who can't walk generally uses their arm muscles to propel the chair forward. I'm just saying you can't compare a baby's needs to an adult who's body does much more physical work in a standard day, not even accounting for added exercise.

As adults, we typically don't need to gain muscle. Again, I qualify this statement as there are others who want to be body builders or those that need muscle for special reasons, as you mentioned a handicapped person who needs to grow their arm muscle to get around with a wheel chair.

As adults, we have our muscles already in place. As babies, we need protein so that we can start forming our body. What is the purpose of protein? To build muscle, or to grow muscle or to maintain the muscles we already have.

Depending on your individual need, mine is to maintain my muscle, I don't need a lot of protein. You might have a different requirement, my original point is that you don't need a ton of protein, unless you have a special reason.

If you want to consume protein in excess of 15% or more, that's really up to you.

As for walking here and there, that is categorized as muscle maintenance (in my opinion). We don't need to consume a lot of protein, again, to maintain muscle to walk from here to there as this does not imply muscle building.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

I am saying that we don't need more than 5%, unless you are body building or if you have other special reasons. And we don't have to agree!

A balanced diet consists of protein from 10-30%, you should not go under 10% or you will risk losing lean muscle, even if not in a caloric deficit. 5% would not be enough to feed existing muscle.
  • taem

I am saying that we don't need more than 5%, unless you are body building or if you have other special reasons. And we don't have to agree!

A balanced diet consists of protein from 10-30%, you should not go under 10% or you will risk losing lean muscle, even if not in a caloric deficit. 5% would not be enough to feed existing muscle.

I ask you watch a video by Dr. John McDougall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gQqKzs5Vw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPD-7Wvi1OM&feature=related

He does mention what you say, but 30% is really the upper limit.

Thanks.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Okay, based on both of my nutrition certifications and all of the classes I've taken for my nutrition minor in college (which was basically the RD program without the internship to get the RD), protein requirements are set in grams per kilogram of body weight, not pounds. Anywhere you see pounds, it has been converted from what the research has shown and may or may not be an accurate conversion.

Thank you. :smile:
  • i take in 2g per kg a day being 168g per day
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    You can set the macros close to what you need. Id rather go over than under IMO.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 189 Member
    I was advised 0.7 to 1 gram per pound of LEAN body weight which is less than your total body weight. I imagine the fitnesspal recomendation is based on the FDA's minimum which could be different than the optimum for people dieting or weight training.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    I ask you watch a video by Dr. John McDougall.

^^Vegan propagandist with an agenda to sell^^^

Spare me.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    This is one of the things MFP is wrong about. MFP forces you to set your macronutrients by percentages. I just ignore the preset limits, I know the numbers I want to hit in my head.

You CAN customize your macronutrient ratios, by the way. I've completely customized my diary by making my ratios 40/40/20 (protein/carbs/fat). You just have to click the "customize" setting when you're editing your nutrition goals.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    There are benefits to both high-carb and high-protein diets. The effects on your body vary, but both can be healthy. Higher protein diets are usually better for weight training and losing weight, since protein is needed to build lean muscle tissue and also helps with appetite suppression (you stay fuller, longer). Less than 10% protein is ridiculous, though... And anything more than 50% protein is pretty nuts, too, in my opinion. Lots of people who weight train use either 40/40/20 or 50/30/20--carbs, protein, and fat, respectively--to yield the best results.
  • talk2tiff
    talk2tiff Posts: 42 Member
    I'm so confused BUMP!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    I thought it was 1 gram per kg of body weight which makes it much less...

Its 1g of protien per pound of LEAN body mass. Not body weight.

Yep this..
    And 1.5g per lb of body weight like someone posted is excessive for most people.
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    This is one of the things MFP is wrong about. MFP forces you to set your macronutrients by percentages. I just ignore the preset limits, I know the numbers I want to hit in my head.

<
    Agrees with this.