Should I take my scale on vacation?

Options
This seems like a "duh, no" but HEAR ME OUT

I'm traveling by train and have room in my duffel bag. The main reason I want to bring it is because I'm in a 6 week challenge and next week is the last weigh-in. I'll have access to internet so I should be able to log into MFP regularly and I feel like it might help me to not go nuts on Christmas market fare? Maybe.

What would you do?

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    personally I would but that's only because last year I gained back 12 lbs over xmas break, but if you are logging into mfp and keeping up that way you don't really need to.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you think it will help you do well in your 6 week challenge, and you have room for it I say what the heck, why not.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    lol, you made me laugh when i read the title of this topic....

i would say if you have the space to put if and it is not too heavy, why not. when i was going on holiday to jamaica in september to see my parents and sis, i was thinking of taking my scale as well. i didnt in the end as i my sis had one. though, i got totally confused when i got there as it was giving me a totally different reading from my own so i wished i had took mine :-)
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hell to the NO! J/K. I never would - it's vacation! But do what's best for you :)
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    lol, you made me laugh when i read the title of this topic....

I have a gift with words! Okay, I think I might take it... I know it seems silly! It's vacation and all that but I'm gonna be in Germany and there will be so much spiced wine and sausage, so I think a scale will put the fear or overindulging in me. Because normally I'd think, "Oh this is fiiiine I'm walking it off," but all that stuff is actually super rich/calorie dense so I need to stay on my toes
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I was going to say outright 'NO' but if you need to weigh in for the last week of your challenge, I can understand the logic. Although if you truly let yourself be 'on vacation' and not watch the calories, sodium, alcohol, and exercise, you might not like what you see and it might not help your challenge very much. LOL
  • rocketmouse
    Options
    It's primarily for the challenge, but yeah. I'm thinking of making some strict rules to follow with regards to market food intake (only two glasses of spiced wine a day! Only one sausage)
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    That.. seems a little obsessive..
  • rocketmouse
    Options
    I know! But I think it's good to be a little obsessive at the beginning because before I was too lax. It's about finding a happy medium. Balancing everything
  • LaLaMicha
    LaLaMicha Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I have to agree. If I took my scale on vacation, my husband would have me committed to a funny farm.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

I have to agree. If I took my scale on vacation, my husband would have me committed to a funny farm.

She's not just randomly thinking of taking it on vacation, she's also going to be on vacation at a time when she's supposed to be doing her final weigh-in for a challenge. If she doesn't take her scale, how is she supposed to do an accurate and timely weigh-in?
  • LaLaMicha
    LaLaMicha Posts: 37 Member
    Options

She's not just randomly thinking of taking it on vacation, she's also going to be on vacation at a time when she's supposed to be doing her final weigh-in for a challenge. If she doesn't take her scale, how is she supposed to do an accurate and timely weigh-in?

I understand that, and being an OCD myself, I still think it is a BIT MUCH. There are scales at hotels, and she can request one, and still record her food and exercise and stay on track, but putting a scale in your dufflel bag.....................
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would bring a food scale....lol....you could always buy a scale when you get to your destination, use it, and then return it before you leave! hahaha Then you wouldn't have to travel with it.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    "duh, no"
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I took mine with me when I went to visit my grandmother for a month. I didn't use it and gained 10 pounds anyway. :tongue:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    DO IT! I think its a great way to keep aon track and not be blindsided when you return. Have a good time!
  • CharNordie
    CharNordie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would. I took mine on the plane to Hawaii. And I was more than relieved to be able to weigh myself everyday then to get home dreading stepping on the scale. I didn't gain anything while on vacation, but I'd rather know that my choices in eating are not adding up and I can always correct them right away.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think you explained it well. It's for a challenge you committed to, you have room in your bag, and of course you want to use the same scale you have been using for the whole challenge! I say do it, just don't be obsessive about it and enjoy your holiday also.
  • rsouthland
    Options
    Problem with vacations and holidays is they easily become a time to have a "break" from being in control. I'd say, if you can bring it, do it. Stay true and strong. Stay connected and accountable.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    personally I would but that's only because last year I gained back 12 lbs over xmas break, but if you are logging into mfp and keeping up that way you don't really need to.

I highly doubt you gained 12 pounds of fat over Christmas break.. one pound is 3500.. times 12=42,000 extra calories... on top of your maintenance calories.. Yea, thats a bit impossible!

To OP:
    Personally I wouldn't.. Can't you just tell the group hey I'm going on a holiday but I'll check in after?
    That makes more sense to me.