Math lovers, help me!

Options
We are starting a biggest loser contest at work. We want to do teams so that we are more responsible for our choices and we won't let someone else down. My question is.... to have this work, one team would have to have 3 people and the rest have two. We are doing this on a percentage of weight loss basis. How does this work with different numbers of people on the team? Is this really simple and I'm just overlooking it? I know on the biggest loser they have different numbers on teams sometimes.

Replies

• galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    If you have an extra person and are using percentage, it should be ok. There would be a percentage lost of a total weight, the total weight of the team with the extra person would be a whole person more, so while they would lose more lbs (presumably), they would have a similar percentage. If that makes any sense?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    That's right - it doesn't matter.

If you have 3 people who each weigh 200 pounds, and they each lose 20 pounds, that's 60/600 for a total of 10% lost.
    If you have 2 people who each weigh 200 pounds, and they each lose 20 pounds, that's 40/400 for a total of 10% lost.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    ^^
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Thank you, ElizabethRoad!!! you made it make SOOOOOO much more sense than I did!
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    What they said. If you're going off percentage, it won't matter.
  • prettyinpink117
    prettyinpink117 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) Now it all makes sense, my brain didn't want to figure that out for some reason!