Strength Training for Women

Options
2»

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Here's my question. I still have a lot of weight I need to lose. For those fans of NROLFW, would it be better to weight until I drop more weight before starting this, or is it something that can/should be incorporated with cardio and weight loss?

Can and should. Lifting will transform your body. As the excess fat disappears, you'll have a solid foundation of muscle underneath. And it will help keep your metabolism buzzing.

Great, thank you. I have been doing some strength training, classes at the gym, but wasn't sure if the NROLFW guide was something that would benefit me now.
  • cassblue21
    Options
    I have just started doing the Sculpt Her Body Perfect training guide. So new at it that I just will do my 3rd day tomorrow! :p I do like it though! It cost me $5 total on amazon. And that was mainly shipping!
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have wanted to start strength training, but wasn't sure because I still have a good amount of weight to lose. I'm going to order the book today!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Here's my question. I still have a lot of weight I need to lose. For those fans of NROLFW, would it be better to weight until I drop more weight before starting this, or is it something that can/should be incorporated with cardio and weight loss?
    No reason to wait. Incorporate now to get better results.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This. Lifting preserves muscle during weight loss, it does burn calories (although not as many as cardio), it increases strength even while you are on a calorie deficit and it's fun!

've been doing stage one of New Rules for a long time simply because I love the basic, simple moves and I love to see my squat and deadlift weights go up. I think I'll finally move to stage 2 in January. It really is a great book for beginners. It's a great total body plan.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Also tossing in a recommendation for NROLFW even though I don't follow it, but it's only because I've had prior training so I just refresh my knowledge via other lifting ladies or websites like nerdfitness.com or bodybuilding.com. However, from what I've heard ladies talking about and from what I've seen just from flipping through it at B&N, it seems to be a very good book that takes you from utter beginner steps (including info about nutrition, macros, etc.) to more advanced training exercises and regimens.

And, yes, start lifting now before you get to your goal weight. First off, you're going to gain weight when you start training (whether it's water retention in the muscles or actually adding back muscle, it's going to show on the scale), and that tends to freak women out even though it's perfectly normal and desirable. Second, if you have a lot of fat to lose, strength training will help you shed those pounds because you'll be adding lean body mass -- which requires more calories to maintain than fat does.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna jump in and sing the praises for New Rules of Lifting for Women as well. I'm doing it right now and I absolutely love it!