Running vs. Treadmill: My Observation

Options
With a break in the cold, I decided to go run outside today (yay!) instead of on the treadmill at the gym.

Strangely, I found that I ran a faster pace (9-10 min/mile) outdoors than in the gym, where I feel like I'm crushing myself to hold an 11 minute mile pace at 4% incline. I just thought that was funny, since most of the time I hear people say "running on the treadmill is easier".

Anybody else notice this? I think it's probably mental and due to running outdoors being a lot cooler.

Just for comparison, I'm an on-again, off-again jogger who's on his 3rd trip through C25K, currently in Week 5.

Replies

• sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    interesting.. I noticed that my speed fluctuates more outdoors...I think mainly bc I move to the beat of the music in my ear...I will try and see if this too happens to me.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I always end up going faster outside - my pace may vary - but my time to go a certain distance is always lower outside and I can go further distances than when I run inside.

I struggle in the gym to find that perfect pace messing around with the treadmill - and often feel like I'm overheating. It's easier outside for me. My fastest time doing 5k was in an outdoor race. I've never been able to match it indoors.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It could be that 4% incline is the difference...I've heard that 1% incline can can mimic the more challenging experience of running outside, so 4 % seems like you are forcing yourself to run on a steeper incline than you experience outdoors.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Count me in as another one of those runners who struggles indoors. I dont know what it is with the treadmill ... I have tried to vary the incline ( but 2% doesnt really feel any different than 1%) ... I used to think it was because my cadence was different on a treadmill (which it is) but now I have been working on cadence drills outside so I have matched them up pretty good.

I am rehabbing from a back injury and did a run 1 walk 4 last night and it was like ... boring ... and felt alot harder than it should have. I dont get it...
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It could be that 4% incline is the difference...I've heard that 1% incline can can mimic the more challenging experience of running outside, so 4 % seems like you are forcing yourself to run on a steeper incline than you experience outdoors.

That may be. However, I've noticed the same thing running the hills around my house, some of which are an 8% grade. Up is slow, down is... less slow.

Anyhow, I see I'm not alone, so cool.

And, emmaleigh: I agree. Maybe it's that when I'm more free to pick my pace, I run faster, until HR and breathing tell me to slow down. On the mill, I try to set it and forget it, and simply try to change/shorten my cadence when I want to move my feet faster or slower. Anyhow, it's supposed to be sunny and nice here in Denver this weekend, so yay for more outdoor exercise. I hate the gym, but I'm making myself go anyhow.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    it could be the 4% incline...I have heard that .5% to 1 % inline is comprable to running on flat ground outside. Unless you are running hills when you are running outside, your incline might be such that your pace is tough. I can fly on a treadmill and it helps me work on my speed for outside.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    The trainer at my gym told me that most people run faster outdoors.
    It may be the songs or scenery. I know I will often tell myself 'keep going till that tree/ lamppost" .
    Maybe it's just more motivating?
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i can't wait for warm weather so i can run outdoors to see if i notice a difference. i have terrible ear problems and can't run outdoors in the cold. come on spring! :smile:
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've not noticed the speed thing but I have noticed that my back bothers me less if I run (or even walk) on a treadmill rather than outside.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    My times are always worse outdoors. I think this is because I'm not very good at pacing myself so I end up getting winded and then have to walk. I can keep a steady pace on the treadmill (well the machine does it for me) so I can run for longer periods of time without walking.

Also having to fight traffic and watch for cars sometimes slows me down or distracts me from my breathing.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Weird. I run faster in the treadmill but shorter because its so boring! Outdoors I can run continuous but depending on the terrain
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

I heard 2% is near to running outdoors, so 1-2% sounds about right. Maybe reduce the 4% and see how that goes?
  • Nicola0000
    Options
    Weird. I run faster in the treadmill but shorter because its so boring! Outdoors I can run continuous but depending on the terrain

agree, so boring!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Nicola0000
    Options
    The trainer at my gym told me that most people run faster outdoors.
    It may be the songs or scenery. I know I will often tell myself 'keep going till that tree/ lamppost" .
    Maybe it's just more motivating?

I find I run faster outdoors too. I think its a visual thing, as I find I cant judge how fast im running on the treadmill, but when you're outdoors, you can see the scenery go past,
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm much faster outside. I think it's the lack of airflow on the treadmill. Even with ceiling fans, I boil and sweat pours off of me, and it psyches me out. It's more of a mental exhaustion than a physical one. Outside, even if I'm going slow, I'm at least creating my own 6mph breeze!

Plus, running at one consistent pace isn't natural. It's normal to speed up and slow down a little.
  • AriannaTiyen42
    AriannaTiyen42 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it might be the 4% incline. I always thought 1% on the treadmill was comparable to running outside on level ground.
  • AriannaTiyen42
    AriannaTiyen42 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it might be the 4% incline. I always thought 1% on the treadmill was comparable to running outside on level ground.
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    it depends on the weather here in the midwest. I definitely feel the workout more outside.
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

I always thought that too. Is it not?
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Same here, with a 2% incline, I run SO SO SO slow on the treadmill. And mines outside, so I get shade, wind and overall mild to cold temps, and yet I still run like 13-15 minutes miles for 30 minutes that feels like FOREVER. Yet I can run steady 9 min miles for 6+ outside. Go figure. Suffice to say the number *kitten* that I am, I run outside 99.9999% of the time.