log as you go or pre plan ?

lor04311916
lor04311916 Posts: 109
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi

Just wondered whether people find it more useful to log as you go or preplan food and excersise etc. has anyone seen a significant difference in weight loss from doing it either way ? x

Replies

• Hi

Just wondered whether people find it more useful to log as you go or preplan food and excersise etc. has anyone seen a significant difference in weight loss from doing it either way ? x
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    I'm FOREVER suggesting to all the newbies to log all your foods BEFORE you have them. I really think that's why I have been able to "almost" easily lose the weight that I so desperately wanted to lose but couldn't with any other "diet". :smile:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    I generally preplan. If you preplan your exercise, you know how much you can eat and if you preplan your food. you know how much you have to exercise.
  • cool thanks for the advice, i've always logged as i go along so far but think i will give preplanning ago x
  • would you advise leaving extra calories just incase ?
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    I like to pre-plan.:smile: This really helps, especially if you will be eating out. Most chain restaurants have calories contents on-line. That can REALLY help keep you on the right track when you realize ONE piece of Uno's pizza is 750 calories!!!!:noway: :grumble: I used to eat 2-3!!!!!!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    I generally do. There may a time when you poop out on exercise or maybe your food intake is a bit more than you bargained for.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Pre-plan whenever I can - makes the day much smoother. I leave some flexibility for snacks so that if I want something different it's not an issue
  • tell me about it i hate finding out how many calories i was consuming before. i know its helpful and helps you see what went wrong but its soo depressing lol
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Plan ahead - always :flowerforyou:
  • I make a menu every Saturdau for the following week so I know and the children know what to expect for the family meal everyday and then I know what I need to buy and I don't feel comfused and impulse but things I don't need and can't eat. I don't use all my extra calories from exercising but then if I do eat more than my body tells me I need to eat I don't loss weight.
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    I often pre-log my food, just so I have an idea how much leeway I have for the day. But I quit pre-logging my exercise because it made working out feel like such a chore. If I know I have to do 30 minutes on the elliptical, it feels like it takes forever. But if I allow myself to simply go until I'm ready to stop, I find that I usually do MORE than I had planned!

I think it's all about "fooling yourself" into being challenged. :happy:
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    A little from "column A" and a little from "column B." :) I do log as I go most of the time, but if I have a chance (especially if I'm going to eat out) I'll use MFP to help plan what I'll eat. When in doubt, I eat 1/2 a meal (that's why they make doggie bags).
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    I agree with the rest.. I've done both - as I tend to be not so organized...

I find that when I pre-log (or at least plan in my head what I will do) I can balance my day so that I am getting in enough protein, complex carbs and fats that I don't end up getting very hungry at any point along the day (similar to what BrenNew described as being almost effortless).

On days when I don't plan ahead I may find myself doing too many non-complex carbs early and then maxing out on calories before the end of the day - thus the emergency, desperation workouts to fit in the calories already burnt.. not ideal..

both ways can work, but each meal or snack needs to be balanced..

Good luck.. jb
  • dkell
    dkell Posts: 408 Member
    :angry: I'm really mad at myself. I've not been using the food logs and the exercise log. That's why I'm not loosing weight. :grumble: :grumble: My life is such a turmoil that I find it hard to plan ahead. Do you actually get recipes and meals ahead for all week and then plan when and how long and what kind of exercise you are going to do?:noway: :noway: Is that possible? :noway: My life is out of control right now.:grumble: :angry: :devil:
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    I log my food the day before so that I know how much I need to exercise at the minimum. That also helps me not to graze during the day since I know all calories or at least most are spoken for. It's worked so far.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    I usually eat light during the day, but I love a good dinner. I think it is at dinnertime, I plan the most... simply so I can have the most.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    I enter the food before I eat it and that way I know that I will stay within my calories, etc.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    I generally log as I go. I have a pretty good idea of what I am eating most of the day (my breakfast and snacks rotate the same 5 or 6 items), so like Tweeber, it's just dinner. If I'm a little low on the calories left by dinner, I just eliminate the pasta or rice, and I'm good to go.
  • I'm new to MFP, but I've been keeping a food diary for ages. I agree that you should do a little bit of both. I plan my meals in advance, and I usually log my plan and my exercise at the beginning of the day...just make sure that you don't "cheat" by eating things that you "forget" to log.
This discussion has been closed.