Working out with or without your significant other?

Options
I was wondering everyone's opinion on this topic.

My husband and I are planning on going to the weight room together to strength training soon.
We plan to still do elliptical and treadmill and stretching by ourselves. (i.e- In the same room but I am on one side and he is on the other) We feel this would keep us in our zone.

Anyways, opinions and personal experience please..? Why do you feel this way?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Training is my hobby/alone time.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Definitely alone for me. It's my time to get to work and get the job done. But that's just how I function best.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im a definite solo-exerciser....
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I like exercising by myself. It keeps me from getting distracted and I can just stay in the zone. Even weight training I did it by myself because I just feel I can get a lot more done working by myself. My boyfriend has always been fit to he just seems to slack off or not care as much as I do as we work out.

Lifting weights with your husband could be fun if he is just as motivated as you are and you need someone to spot you as you use the weights. If you feel like it'll distract you then I suggest you do it alone.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I train with my bf most of the time unless he's working late :) This is in the weight room, I don't do much cardio.

I love it, it's good to have someone there with pretty much the same goals, and to talk to / motivate each other. He also spots me on bench press and squats.
    If I was doing cardio though, I'd rather be alone with that. You can't exactly talk easily while huffing and puffing on the machines haha and I'd just get distracted.
  • jerry_couch
    Options
    Trying mixing it up: workout alone some and then workout with your significant other. Some days we would stay together and other days we would do our own thing. Just do what you think is right for you and your significant other.

Jerry
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say I am a solo exerciser. I like to get things done, no messing around. I haven't really found a partner that is in the same mode as me. But, my other half decided he wanted to start going to the gym, and I wanted to encourage him, so I went with him. I actually like going with him. He pushes me a little and he is the same as me in the sense that he wants to get the workout in. It times the rests great, he is doing his set while I am resting. I also like having him there now because I am lifting heavy and it is nice to have a spot without having to ask someone.
    Because of our schedules, I haven't been able to get there much with him lately and I actually miss him.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My husband and I lift weights together, but stretch and do cardio alone (in the same room, often next to each other, but with headphones in and basically ignoring each other). It works pretty well for us. The time with weights is together time (and I have a spotter, although I can't really spot for him), while the other stuff ends up being more like alone time. Going to the gym together means we motivate each other to get up at 5am. The down side is that if one of us is feeling lazy or sick, sometimes it becomes an excuse for the other not to go, but more often it's a motivating thing, since neither of us wants to be the one to not go. I also pole dance. This is also alone time/time with other women, since my studio doesn't allow men, and he's not terribly interested anyway.
  • k80fox
    k80fox Posts: 92
    Options
    I like working out with my hubby! We don't go to the gym so we walk/job around our neighborhood and along the beach. It's a great time for us to catch up with each other and what's going on in our day/week. Plus we both motivate each other when we're together...it's always harder to work out when the other one is watching TV.

I can see the advantages of working out alone too though. Especially when you need alone time :)
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    We do both alone/together it depends on season and what we are doing....we hike/jog/walk together but I run on treadmill (by self) for obvious reasons and I do work out videos by myself because HE HATES THEM he lifts weights alone because he does not like to have a audience!!!!!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    i'm not in a relationship but i usually prefer to go to the gym by myself. i don't mind if someone tags along but i like to go alone. that's just me though.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed exercising with my husband. It was nice to spend that time together. Plus our gym had a kid room, so we got to be together without the kids for a while!
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My husband keeps promising to work out but I'm still waiting. :ohwell: Anyway, I'd prefer to work out alone honestly because I can focus more.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I work out differently than he does, (I concentrate on cardio, he loves weight lifting) and we both end up frustrating each other, so as much as I adore and crave his company almost 100% of the time, not at the gym. I zone out better and work harder when I'm alone, especially because I'm not worried about which of us is going to want to leave first, who has finished, how long does he want to sit in the sauna, etc. If I'm alone, I can just forget everything else and bust some *kitten* for as long as I see fit. He's always happy to see me when I get home ;)
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Solo but honestly it's not my choice since he's such a lazy bum when it comes to moving his butt :grumble:
  • allycaturban
    Options
    you will motivate one another. its a good idea :):smile:
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My husband and I workout together when we can. We especially love walking/running together. We motivate one another and the convos during these times are great! I have tried some of the workout dvds with him, but he usually ends up just making me mad b/c he gets in my personal space lol We don't have a gym membership yet, but I am pretty sure we will hit the gym both together and alone when we do.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Alone. Someone needs to watch the kids and getting a babysitter that often just won't work! Plus, we have completely different gym styles--the few times that I have taken him I have simply been frustrated. It's a nice time to be away from everyone!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    We go together but I don't want her anywhere near me while working out, and the feeling is mutual.

She does her thing, and I do mine.
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    We are separate most of the time but I like it when we do classes together.

I LOVE working out with my daughters and nephew as well.